Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Two Women Become The First to Pass US Army Ranger School
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

http://news.yahoo.com/first-women-soldie...23657.html

Thoughts? I know that there are quite a couple of veterans on this board- and I know that there's been a big debate among the military brass about women serving in combat roles alongside men. In my humble opinion, I commend the two ladies for having completed the course (assuming that the physical standards were not altered in anyway in order to accommodate them), but the military needs to stop being so politically correct about this.

Comment section from MSN:

They were pushed through. Standards WERE lowered to ensure they would graduate. Gag orders are in place because male students were not allowed to peer eval the females, 2 star general officers walked the patrols, and seperate areas were constructed with ponchos for the females in patrol bases. One of the females passed her patrol even though she lost half her platoon in a break in contact. AND, they were given 3 chances to pass the first phase when males are not given that opportunity. Additionally, the females were allowed several months before attending the course to prepare for it without having to report for duty to their regular jobs!

Quote:Comment section from MSN:

They were pushed through. Standards WERE lowered to ensure they would graduate. Gag orders are in place because male students were not allowed to peer eval the females, 2 star general officers walked the patrols, and seperate areas were constructed with ponchos for the females in patrol bases. One of the females passed her patrol even though she lost half her platoon in a break in contact. AND, they were given 3 chances to pass the first phase when males are not given that opportunity. Additionally, the females were allowed several months before attending the course to prepare for it without having to report for duty to their regular jobs!
Do we know who those comments are from? and if they were either Ranger cadre or students at the school at the time when this was happening?

Interesting and not surprising if true. You see all sorts of favorable treatment of female recruits going through normal basic and technical training, beyond just the lax fitness standards.

Hopefully it is not true though.
The problem will correct itself in combat. Unfortunately it'll probably take some qualified men with them.

I have not been following this story closely but have been following it and if memory serves me correct they were given multiple chances to complete the coarse.  I seem to recall one of them actually failing and getting a second opportunity. 

Personally I don't care what your race, color, creed, sexual preference or gender is as long as you can do the job.  If you are lowering standards to fit a politically correct agenda unnecessary lives will be lost.  This is where the problem lies.

Quote:http://news.yahoo.com/first-women-soldie...23657.html

Thoughts? I know that there are quite a couple of veterans on this board- and I know that there's been a big debate among the military brass about women serving in combat roles alongside men. In my humble opinion, I commend the two ladies for having completed the course (assuming that the physical standards were not altered in anyway in order to accommodate them), but the military needs to stop being so politically correct about this.

First, I'm specifically addressing your comment regarding PC in the military.  I don't know if you are still in the military or not, but as the saying goes around the place that I work at (on a military base working along side many other veterans/retired military), "it's not the same Navy that I served in".  I could almost write a book that describes how PC is destroying our military.  Just a small example.  A loose string on part of the uniform used to be called an Irish Pennant (IP).  This has been a long standing tradition, however it is no longer called that because it was deemed to be "offensive".

Regarding the news about these two females graduating Ranger training.  If they did in fact complete the training under the same rules, conditions and standards as the male soldiers, then my hat is off to them.

I personally am against women serving in the same role along side men not only in combat, but on ships, submarines, etc..  This presents a huge distraction among even the most disciplined as far as I'm concerned.

Now don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying that women can't be fighter pilots, aircrew, operate a ship or a submarine, etc..

I would take a comment like that with a grain of salt.
ranger school isn't that impressive, when I was in Hawaii we had a female LT in the batallion with a sapper tab and she was a total bad....  Anyway tons of rangers go to sapper school every year and fail so the fact that a female has passed sapper school is a hell of a lot cooler to me then the agenda the news is trying to portray.  That ways 7 year ago she had that tab and a few of my Sgts at the time went to school with her and vouched for everything she did to get it.  

I don't know why the media has to force stories 

Quote:First, I'm specifically addressing your comment regarding PC in the military.  I don't know if you are still in the military or not, but as the saying goes around the place that I work at (on a military base working along side many other veterans/retired military), "it's not the same Navy that I served in".  I could almost write a book that describes how PC is destroying our military.  Just a small example.  A loose string on part of the uniform used to be called an Irish Pennant (IP).  This has been a long standing tradition, however it is no longer called that because it was deemed to be "offensive".

Regarding the news about these two females graduating Ranger training.  If they did in fact complete the training under the same rules, conditions and standards as the male soldiers, then my hat is off to them.

I personally am against women serving in the same role along side men not only in combat, but on ships, submarines, etc..  This presents a huge distraction among even the most disciplined as far as I'm concerned.

Now don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying that women can't be fighter pilots, aircrew, operate a ship or a submarine, etc..
Actually, I'm not in the military. But, I do come from a family with a very strong military tradition.

So the news said they graduated but would not be deployed as Rangers?
[Image: tumblr_lmp79q33a31qasa31o1_1280.jpg]

You do realize that an MSN comment is only slightly more reliable a source than a Clinton deposition, right?