Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Born in the USA? So what?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
So Walker and Trump agree that being born in the USA should not make you a citizen.  

Walker tried to walk back the idea....  http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-...tizenship/

But is this something that republicans think is a good idea?  I personally think getting rid of birth right citizenship is not a good idea for many reasons...

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this first...

A good start would be that babies of women who entered the country illegally do not automatically become citizens.

Of course if the US actually, you know, controlled the borders, even this wouldn't be necessary.

Quote:A good start would be that babies of women who entered the country illegally do not automatically become citizens.

Of course if the US actually, you know, controlled the borders, even this wouldn't be necessary.

OK, that's a good start...  But what about the actual question...

Would you be OK with saying that just being born in the USA doesn't mean you are a citizen?
Quote:OK, that's a good start... But what about the actual question...

Would you be OK with saying that just being born in the USA doesn't mean you are a citizen?

That's not what's being proposed, no one is saying birth rights for everyone should be revoked. I support the notion that birth rights don't extend to illegal immigrants who give birth here. One of the parents has to be a citizen or a legal resident to extend their off spring birth right citizenship.

If neither parent is a citizen how can they naturally extend a birth right they never own?
Quote:That's not what's being proposed, no one is saying birth rights for everyone should be revoked. I support the notion that birth rights don't extend to illegal immigrants who give birth here. One of the parents has to be a citizen or a legal resident to extend their off spring birth right citizenship.

If neither parent is a citizen how can they naturally extend a birth right they never own?

Via the 14th amendment, apparently...  

But again, that's not the question I'm asking.  I'm asking do you think that repealing the 14th amendment would be a good idea? 

Do you think that getting rid of birth right citizenship is a good idea?
Quote:Via the 14th amendment, apparently...  

But again, that's not the question I'm asking.  I'm asking do you think that repealing the 14th amendment would be a good idea? 

Do you think that getting rid of birth right citizenship is a good idea?

Yes, the 14th amendment was a mistake.

What makes a baby born 5 feet from the border on the US side more American than one born 5 feet from the border on the Mexican side?

Nothing.

Most first world nations do NOT have birth right citizenship because it is recognized as policy which can be easily abused, much like what happens in the US.
The easy part is agreeing or disagreeing with the question. The tough part are the solutions.

There are people who were not born here that are more productive and patriotic than some who were born here. But how do you decide on citizenship? A test?

Then we have criminals who undermine the country ( terrorist action). Should citizenship be stripped?

What if someone not born here, but enlists and serves in the military? Should that lead to the path of citizenship?

But, one thing is clear to my way of thinking. Children of illegal immigrants should not be given automatic citizenship. The act of obtaining citizenship was done through an illegal action. Should kids, who did nothing wrong, be able to keep the money from their parents who got it from a bank robbery?
I say end birth right citizenship for Illegals..... They broke the law in coming here so....... Build the damn wall and deport them all

Quote:OK, that's a good start...  But what about the actual question...

Yes. I'd be OK with that. "Just" being born in the USA doesn't make you a citizen.

A child born to a US citizen should be considered a citizen, whether or not the birth occurred on US soil. Using this criteria I guess there might be a problem with multiple generations of citizens who never actually lived in the US.

Being born on US soil by foreign parents who were here legally ... well maybe other factors should be considered. If the parents apply for and are granted citizenship then the child should be considered a native born American. I'd say any child of a legal permanent (or long-term) resident should be given US citizenship.

I'd also have a problem with stripping a person of US citizenship, no matter how despicable an act they committed.

The 14th ammendment wouldnt be repealed. Youd pass legislation focussing on births on us soil to parents with no legal status.

The passing of citizenship by blood isnt and shouldnt be the issue.

At current you have the top drug cartell leader in mexico ordering his wives to give birth here so his kids will have a legal foothold in the country. That system has to change.
Quote:So Walker and Trump agree that being born in the USA should not make you a citizen.  

Walker tried to walk back the idea....  http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-...tizenship/

But is this something that republicans think is a good idea?  I personally think getting rid of birth right citizenship is not a good idea for many reasons...

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this first...

As soon as I read your question I knew exactly where you are going with this.   :thumbsup:   I do disagree with your statement that "republicans think this is a good idea" though.  Some my think that, but not all.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

We can't decide which parts of The Constitution we should enforce and which parts we should not.
Quote:Yes, the 14th amendment was a mistake.

What makes a baby born 5 feet from the border on the US side more American than one born 5 feet from the border on the Mexican side?

Nothing.

Most first world nations do NOT have birth right citizenship because it is recognized as policy which can be easily abused, much like what happens in the US.

Really?  So due process of law is a mistake?  Equal protection under the law is a mistake?  Perhaps the 1st Amendment or the 2nd Amendment are mistakes as well?

Quote:The 14th ammendment wouldnt be repealed. Youd pass legislation focussing on births on us soil to parents with no legal status.

The passing of citizenship by blood isnt and shouldnt be the issue.

At current you have the top drug cartell leader in mexico ordering his wives to give birth here so his kids will have a legal foothold in the country. That system has to change.

Except that any legislation that is deemed unconstitutional is no longer law.
Quote:Really?  So due process of law is a mistake?  Equal protection under the law is a mistake?  Perhaps the 1st Amendment or the 2nd Amendment are mistakes as well?

Except that any legislation that is deemed unconstitutional is no longer law.
nicely done  :thumbsup:
Perhaps I am unwilling, but I do not see how repealing the 14th Amendment and changing how people get their nationality status would do anything to alleviate the problems with illegal immigration.  Especially in regards to the "rapists, murderers, and drug dealers"

In my mind, at least, the concept of alterations to the Constitution based upon xenophobia and (in some cases) racism is a scary thing.

Quote:In my mind, at least, the concept of alterations to the Constitution based upon xenophobia and (in some cases) racism is a scary thing.
New Southern Strategy?
Quote:New Southern Strategy?

There you go again...

I would hardly call Scott Walker or Donald Trump "southern" and nobody is calling for altering The Constitution.
Quote:There you go again...

I would hardly call Scott Walker or Donald Trump "southern" and nobody is calling for altering The Constitution.
I was just adding on to a train of thought by using an actual plan of attack from american history of a major political party. I didn't direct at anyone since it was mostly a joke though people have came close to that in this thread if not actually calling for it. Why did it strike a nerve?
Quote:I would hardly call Scott Walker or Donald Trump "southern" and nobody is calling for altering The Constitution.
Altering the way citizenship is granted would, by definition, require a Constitutional amendment.
Quote:I was just adding on to a train of thought by using an actual plan of attack from american history of a major political party. I didn't direct at anyone since it was mostly a joke though people have came close to that in this thread if not actually calling for it. Why did it strike a nerve?

My comment was also a joke, hence my use of a quote by Ronald Reagan when he was debating Walter Mondale "there you go again".   :thumbsup:

It didn't strike a nerve, but I'm tired of people labeling the republican party as "old southern white men" among other things.  I fit two of the words that liberals tend to use to describe republicans.  I am "old" by some people's standards and I am a man.  I don't consider myself southern and I'm not white.
Pages: 1 2 3 4