Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Medical Marijuana States See Painkiller Deaths Drop by 25%
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Medical Marijuana States See Painkiller Deaths Drop by 25%

Throughout the United States, prescription drug overdoses have been a major problem. But now, with the rise of medical marijuana in many states the number of deaths from pharmaceutical painkillers has been plummeting.

In states where medical marijuana is legal, deaths have been dropping 25%.

http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/08/me...5-percent/

The only real difference between Heroin and stuff like Vicodin and Tramadol is the lobbying budget.

Ban it, won't somebody please think of the children.

It's madness!!!!!

Quote:The only real difference between Heroin and stuff like Vicodin and Tramadol is the lobbying budget.
Tramadol is a non-narcotic. It is non opioid. I know this because I am taking it. I am in the process of detoxing from Oxycontin and do understand how the narcotic pain pills can get so addictive. I describe the detox from it as "the flu on steroids with a bit of schizophrenia mixed in"   Everyone here knows that I am a frequent flyer in the operating rooms of Jacksonville, so I have become somewhat of an expert on pain killers and detoxing. I have been  on Oxycontin and Fentanyl patches for months now as part of my cancer treatment. I am only detoxing to pass a drug test to return to work. That may not even happen because I may go back under the knife again soon for my shoulder. It was reconstructed earlier this year, but something is very wrong with it. If so, I'm right back on the pain meds. I likely will be anyhow.

I do wish there were alternatives to them, but sometimes they're just a part of life, and a necessity of pain management for those who are suffering medically.

Edit: to add, I wholeheartedly agree with you that there is no difference than heroin. Because there is not. All opioid pain killers are based upon a synthetic form of heroin. That's why they're so hard to get off of.

Quote:Tramadol is a non-narcotic. It is non opioid. I know this because I am taking it. I am in the process of detoxing from Oxycontin and do understand how the narcotic pain pills can get so addictive. I describe the detox from it as "the flu on steroids with a bit of schizophrenia mixed in"   Everyone here knows that I am a frequent flyer in the operating rooms of Jacksonville, so I have become somewhat of an expert on pain killers and detoxing. I have been  on Oxycontin and Fentanyl patches for months now as part of my cancer treatment. I am only detoxing to pass a drug test to return to work. That may not even happen because I may go back under the knife again soon for my shoulder. It was reconstructed earlier this year, but something is very wrong with it. If so, I'm right back on the pain meds. I likely will be anyhow.

I do wish there were alternatives to them, but sometimes they're just a part of life, and a necessity of pain management for those who are suffering medically.

Edit: to add, I wholeheartedly agree with you that there is no difference than heroin. Because there is not. All opioid pain killers are based upon a synthetic form of heroin. That's why they're so hard to get off of.
I'll admit I'm lucky enough never to have needed stuff like Oxycntin or Tramadol so my first hand knowledge is non-existent but when I type in Tramadol in Wikipedia I get this. That first sentence seems to disagree with you.
Quote:I'll admit I'm lucky enough never to have needed stuff like Oxycntin or Tramadol so my first hand knowledge is non-existent but when I type in Tramadol in Wikipedia I get this. That first sentence seems to disagree with you.
After looking around myself, there seems to be a lot of contradictory information about it. It works similarly to an opioid, but is not. I can pass a drug screen for employment while taking Tramadol. I would fail with any other opioid pain killer. So, there must be some chemical difference between it and the other classes of narcotic pain killers. I don't know how that works though.
Quote:After looking around myself, there seems to be a lot of contradictory information about it. It works similarly to an opioid, but is not. I can pass a drug screen for employment while taking Tramadol. I would fail with any other opioid pain killer. So, there must be some chemical difference between it and the other classes of narcotic pain killers. I don't know how that works though.

I could be wrong, but if you have a prescription for valid medical reasons such as yours, doesn't that kind of "trump" a positive result of drug screening for employment purposes?  In my mind it should.  I suppose the decision would be up to the employer, and again in my opinion any employer that would disqualify you for employment for testing positive given your medical condition/history is probably not someone that you would want to work for anyway.
Quote:I could be wrong, but if you have a prescription for valid medical reasons such as yours, doesn't that kind of "trump" a positive result of drug screening for employment purposes?  In my mind it should.  I suppose the decision would be up to the employer, and again in my opinion any employer that would disqualify you for employment for testing positive given your medical condition/history is probably not someone that you would want to work for anyway.
It has more to do with OSHA regulations. Actually, to be more specific, it wouldn't be legal for me to drive any vehicle while I am on those meds. Driving company vehicles is a big part of my job, and they need to have assurance to their insurers that I am clean in order to perform many of my job requirements.

It sucks, but just because a doctor prescribes meds doesn't make it okay to take them on the job. The drug test is mostly a CYA for the company to their insurers.
Quote:It has more to do with OSHA regulations. Actually, to be more specific, it wouldn't be legal for me to drive any vehicle while I am on those meds. Driving company vehicles is a big part of my job, and they need to have assurance to their insurers that I am clean in order to perform many of my job requirements.

It sucks, but just because a doctor prescribes meds doesn't make it okay to take them on the job. The drug test is mostly a CYA for the company to their insurers.

Thank you for clarifying that.  I do hope that you are successful in detoxing and wish you well.
Don't worry, big Pharma's still in the dope game.
Quote:I could be wrong, but if you have a prescription for valid medical reasons such as yours, doesn't that kind of "trump" a positive result of drug screening for employment purposes?  In my mind it should.  I suppose the decision would be up to the employer, and again in my opinion any employer that would disqualify you for employment for testing positive given your medical condition/history is probably not someone that you would want to work for anyway.

It would be a risk management issue to permit someone using a faculty-impairing medication to operate or drive equipment, even if prescribed.
Quote:It would be a risk management issue to permit someone using a faculty-impairing medication to operate or drive equipment, even if prescribed.

Agreed.  I thought that Dakota had answered my question in this thread before explaining the same thing.  It must have been a different thread that I'm remembering.
Quote:Agreed.  I thought that Dakota had answered my question in this thread before explaining the same thing.  It must have been a different thread that I'm remembering.
That post has disappeared, but I did answer you basically stating the same thing.

The company has to cover it's own rear and interests, hence the drug test. They know I'm on the pain meds and are working with me on the whole thing.
Quote:That post has disappeared, but I did answer you basically stating the same thing.

The company has to cover it's own rear and interests, hence the drug test. They know I'm on the pain meds and are working with me on the whole thing.

Interesting that the post all of the sudden reappeared.  I don't have any proof, but I would think that there is some censorship going on around here.

I do hope that you are doing well and that you are able to pass the screening.
Quote:Interesting that the post all of the sudden reappeared.  I don't have any proof, but I would think that there is some censorship going on around here.

I do hope that you are doing well and that you are able to pass the screening.

I Noticed that too, the post disappeared then reappeared, I think it had something to do with the CY* in the post
Quote: I Noticed that too, the post disappeared then reappeared, I think it had something to do with the CY* in the post

You know, this brings up another subject that can be debated, but does apply to this very forum, that being censorship and freedom of expression.  This site is certainly within their right to allow or disallow certain discussion, but I do have a problem with altering or suppressing something that anyone wants to say.  I do understand the profanity filter, but to remove certain posts goes beyond that.

I respect many posters in this forum that I disagree with politically, and I would NEVER want to silence their opinion.  I believe that it's actually good and healthy to have discussion regarding points of view, even if we disagree.

The disappearing and reappearing of Dakota's post amounts to censorship.  Why it was done, I don't know, but it bothers me.  Are there other posts that are removed that we don't know about?  Why were they removed?  Are we not free to discuss ideas on this forum?
Quote:Interesting that the post all of the sudden reappeared.  I don't have any proof, but I would think that there is some censorship going on around here.
This board uses Invision software, which is about as reliable as a holodeck safety. Another forum I'm part of just upgraded to Invision 4.0, and in the process, it managed to lose roughly six months worth of posting data while being down for over a week despite the admin being one of the better computer minds I know. It's entirely possible that Dakota's post, along with several others, temporarily vanished into a black hole, but Dakota's is the one we all noticed because it's relatively high-profile in a small thread.

Could be. Might have been censored, but given the Invision factor, it could have just been lost in space.

*Edit: Or maybe it's a Berenst(e/a)in Bears scenario!  :woot:

Quote:You know, this brings up another subject that can be debated, but does apply to this very forum, that being censorship and freedom of expression.  This site is certainly within their right to allow or disallow certain discussion, but I do have a problem with altering or suppressing something that anyone wants to say.  I do understand the profanity filter, but to remove certain posts goes beyond that.

I respect many posters in this forum that I disagree with politically, and I would NEVER want to silence their opinion.  I believe that it's actually good and healthy to have discussion regarding points of view, even if we disagree.

The disappearing and reappearing of Dakota's post amounts to censorship.  Why it was done, I don't know, but it bothers me.  Are there other posts that are removed that we don't know about?  Why were they removed?  Are we not free to discuss ideas on this forum?

Dakota's post and subsequent reply, which included a quote of said post, were temporarily hidden pending discussion among the moderators about whether CYA violates the message board rule against veiled profanity. This is SOP and not an attempt to censor the message of the post. Had it been determined to be a violation, Dakota would have been warned privately. It was not and the posts were unhidden.

The 25% drop painkiller deaths in states that allow marijuana is entirely due to people forgetting to record 25% of the deaths
. Smile
Pages: 1 2