Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: TY Hilton signs extension 5yr/$65m
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/134285...-extension

With $39 million guaranteed. 

Thoughts?

I would say money well spent. He good

As a Jaguar fan I'm very happy they decided to pay TY Hilton, who I also think is good.  He's not worth $39 million guaranteed though.  That's two high quality offensive linemen worth of money.  TY has never cracked 7 TDs in a prolific passing attack. Seems suspect that he may have peaked or better put, his production may drop now that he has a big fat contract.

Even if he does take another step and is a 100 reception and 10 TD guy for 5 more years, they are going to be forced to make tough decisions with their offensive and defensive lines.  Luck is all world but if can't get on the field or is constantly pressured, whats the point?

Quote:I would say money well spent. He good

Agree.  That team certainly isn't the "Luck does it all" myth.
Who's going to pass block?
Quote:Who's going to pass block?

Who is going to play defense?
This Dez Bryant money and Dez has caught 50 TDs in the last 4 years with Romo slinging the ball.  

I would say I called this awhile back, while being blasted because they "drafted his replacement" this year.

:whistling:

Excuses were "can't sign Luck and TY"

Yes they can.
The contract is really 6 years. He is earning 1.8 this year so for the full 6 it's in Cobb range and not Thomas/Bryant territory.
Quote:I would say I called this awhile back, while being blasted because they "drafted his replacement" this year.

:whistling:

Excuses were "can't sign Luck and TY"

Yes they can.

They signed Luck too?
From a Colts perspective (humbly, without trying to be a troll):

T.Y.'s contract details are similar to Jeremy Maclin, and Randall Cobb -- Not Dez Bryant or D. Thomas. The market value has been set and T.Y.'s contract reflects his value according to the market.

Next up is Anthony Castanzo (LT), the Colts best O-lineman -- for those asking who will block for Luck. The rest of the O-lineman are still within their rookie contracts (Mewhort, Thorntron, Holmes) or have recently been signed (Herremans).

If you look at other teams like the Packers, Cowboys or Lions, they would suggest that you can have a high paid QB, receivers, and have a good O-line, along with a good defense. All three of those teams made it to the playoffs. Signing T.Y. does not negate the Colts ability to build a balanced team.

Quote:As a Jaguar fan I'm very happy they decided to pay TY Hilton, who I also think is good. He's not worth $39 million guaranteed though. That's two high quality offensive linemen worth of money. TY has never cracked 7 TDs in a prolific passing attack. Seems suspect that he may have peaked or better put, his production may drop now that he has a big fat contract.

Even if he does take another step and is a 100 reception and 10 TD guy for 5 more years, they are going to be forced to make tough decisions with their offensive and defensive lines. Luck is all world but if can't get on the field or is constantly pressured, whats the point?

Not to mention Luck is just like Manning in that if you hit him early, he gets rattled. Better off investing it more into the OL imo
He is a good player, and it makes a lot of sense for the Colts to re-sign a guy of that caliber.

However, to a certain degree, it makes the first round selection of Phillip Dorsett more puzzling.

His selection makes sense if there was no adequate OL-DL help at that spot in the draft, and the Colts felt like Hilton would be too expensive to retain.

Given the Colts' needs along the lines, and given there were at least two first-second round caliber NTs on the board when the Colts were picking-Malcolm Brown and Eddie Goldman-and given the depth at WR in this draft, the selection didn't make sense.

Furthermore, given he is a slot receiver, too, it would make sense to draft Dorsett if they felt they would have to groom Hilton's replacement to take his position in the next year.  But the Colts re-signed Hilton and presumably they felt they would all along.

Why not draft a player at a bigger position of need and take advantage of the WR depth to fill that slot later?

Quote:He is a good player, and it makes a lot of sense for the Colts to re-sign a guy of that caliber.

However, to a certain degree, it makes the first round selection of Phillip Dorsett more puzzling.

His selection makes sense if there was no adequate OL-DL help at that spot in the draft, and the Colts felt like Hilton would be too expensive to retain.

Given the Colts' needs along the lines, and given there were at least two first-second round caliber NTs on the board when the Colts were picking-Malcolm Brown and Eddie Goldman-and given the depth at WR in this draft, the selection didn't make sense.

Furthermore, given he is a slot receiver, too, it would make sense to draft Dorsett if they felt they would have to groom Hilton's replacement to take his position in the next year. But the Colts re-signed Hilton and presumably they felt they would all along.

Why not draft a player at a bigger position of need and take advantage of the WR depth to fill that slot later?

I agree with all of this, again, this is a team that seems more concerned with building a fantasy football team than winning in the trenches. Their lines are soft on both sides of the ball, as a Jaguar fan I'm not complaining.
Quote:Who is going to play defense?

Those meds Irsay's calling for.
Quote:He is a good player, and it makes a lot of sense for the Colts to re-sign a guy of that caliber.

Furthermore, given he is a slot receiver, too, it would make sense to draft Dorsett if they felt they would have to groom Hilton's replacement to take his position in the next year. But the Colts re-signed Hilton and presumably they felt they would all along.

I think Dorsett was a prime example of a hardcore BAP pick. I don't get it and giving the examples you cite BAP-by need may have been the better route to go. Ryan Grigson may be out of a job if the Colts don't go all the way this year and he'll only have himself to blame if the D chokes again or if Luck (who is setting up to become the highest paid player in the league) is running for his life behind a paper thin O-Line.
Quote:Those meds Irsay's calling for.
Spike the opponents gatorade, damn it, why didnt we think of that??
Quote:They signed Luck too?
Try harder.

They obviously wouldn't have made THIS deal, if they thought it would interfere with getting one done with Luck.

Which will likely happen after this season.

I suspect he'll be the league's highest paid QB. Especially if they even sniff the SB.
Quote:This Dez Bryant money and Dez has caught 50 TDs in the last 4 years with Romo slinging the ball.  

Are you implying that Romo isn't a good QB?
Quote:Are you implying that Romo isn't a good QB?

I'm implying Romo isn't the quality of quarterback that Luck is.  Luck to Bryant would be > 50 TDs.  Thus, I think Romo to Hilton would be less production.  So on an even comparison Luck receivers has inflated stats, which skews the contract Hilton received.
Pages: 1 2