Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: A Highly Recommended Book
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I do a lot of reading and just finished one that I think would be interesting for people to read.

I don't want to get political in this thread, so please keep politics out of it.

The book is titled "Somewhere Inside: One Sister's Captivity in North Korea and the Other's Fight to Bring Her Home."

The story (which is a true account) details a reporter (one sister) and her colleague being captured on the North Korean border with China and the efforts (by her sister, yet another journalist) to get them released.  Some may recognize the names of Lisa Ling and Laura Ling while others might not know who they are.  Both are journalists that have worked for various networks.  The book gives a very interesting insight of not only the "hermit country" of North Korea, but also how journalists and our government work to solve certain problems.  It also takes place in fairly recent times.

I do know that there was a "books" thread a while ago, but I didn't want to raise an old thread.  Post other books that you enjoyed that are NON-FICTION that you think are good reads.  I very rarely read fiction.
Quote:I do a lot of reading and just finished one that I think would be interesting for people to read.

I don't want to get political in this thread, so please keep politics out of it.

The book is titled "Somewhere Inside: One Sister's Captivity in North Korea and the Other's Fight to Bring Her Home."

The story (which is a true account) details a reporter (one sister) and her colleague being captured on the North Korean border with China and the efforts (by her sister, yet another journalist) to get them released.  Some may recognize the names of Lisa Ling and Laura Ling while others might not know who they are.  Both are journalists that have worked for various networks.  The book gives a very interesting insight of not only the "hermit country" of North Korea, but also how journalists and our government work to solve certain problems.  It also takes place in fairly recent times.

I do know that there was a "books" thread a while ago, but I didn't want to raise an old thread.  Post other books that you enjoyed that are NON-FICTION that you think are good reads.  I very rarely read fiction.

I remember Lisa Ling from Channel 1 news in the 6th grade.  It was a 10 minute news program for school kids.  It might still be around, but Ling was always very good on it.  Anderson Cooper of CNN was on Channel 1 with Ling also.  

Sounds like an interesting read.  I read so many non-fiction books when i got my history degree I have tended to stick to fiction in recent years, but this one sounds interesting.  I like books that show things like this "hermit country" you mention.  

A non-fiction book I read that I really enjoyed was "A Viet Cong Memoir: An Inside Account of the Vietnam War and its Aftermath" by Truong Nhu Tang.  It detailed life of the VC on the Ho Chi Minh Trail.  Really eye opening and amazing to see what the Viet Cong were able to accomplish with back packs and their own 2 feet.  Coincidentally enough, the author fought for the VC but eventually fled to the US.  Really good read and engaging.

Quote: I remember Lisa Ling from Channel 1 news in the 6th grade.  It was a 10 minute news program for school kids.  It might still be around, but Ling was always very good on it.  Anderson Cooper of CNN was on Channel 1 with Ling also.  

Sounds like an interesting read.  I read so many non-fiction books when i got my history degree I have tended to stick to fiction in recent years, but this one sounds interesting.  I like books that show things like this "hermit country" you mention.  

A non-fiction book I read that I really enjoyed was "A Viet Cong Memoir: An Inside Account of the Vietnam War and its Aftermath" by Truong Nhu Tang.  It detailed life of the VC on the Ho Chi Minh Trail.  Really eye opening and amazing to see what the Viet Cong were able to accomplish with back packs and their own 2 feet.  Coincidentally enough, the author fought for the VC but eventually fled to the US.  Really good read and engaging.

Thanks for the recommendation.  I'll put it on my reading list.

Speaking of reading... time to read a chapter or two and get to bed for me.