Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Germany's new River Bus- pretty darn cool
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Story with video. This is definitely cool. I'd go back to Germany just to ride it. This is how German ingenuity and engineering is fascinating to me even though I don't have an understanding of engineering at all. I saw a great many things when I lived there that were so interesting from an engineering standpoint, from the architecture of buildings, castles and bridges to how they planned everything they did specifically. It helped me make sense of my paternal grandfather's mind and how it worked being as that side of my family is German.

Is it a boat? Or is it a bus? Looking at the new Hafencity Riverbus in Hamburg, it is actually a bit of both. This makes the amphibious vehicle ideally suited to the port city on the Elbe, since the vast majority of its tourist attractions are located either on or adjacent to the water.

“I already had the idea for this kind of project 18 years ago,” explains Franken, a shipping merchant and self-confessed bus enthusiast. “Back then, I had seen a similar attraction in Singapore and it was immediately obvious to me that we definitely had to bring something like this to Hamburg.”

More to the story on the website.....

Reminds me of one of the Ducks that you see in cities throughout the US.  Just a modern design of the same concept.

Quote:Reminds me of one of the Ducks that you see in cities throughout the US.  Just a modern design of the same concept.

Agree -- Tampa & Miami has those all over the place.  A Miami one is shown below

[Image: ducktour.jpg]
Seattle

[Image: duckboattours.jpg?w=635]

Think of the money they just saved you.

Quote: 

“I already had the idea for this kind of project 18 years ago
,” explains Franken, a shipping merchant and self-confessed bus enthusiast. “Back then, I had seen a similar attraction in Singapore and it was immediately obvious to me that we definitely had to bring something like this to Hamburg.”

If only Franken had Google.  He could have seen that this concept was put into production in 1942 during WWII

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DUKW

Quote:If only Franken had Google.  He could have seen that this concept was put into production in 1942 during WWII

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DUKW

I'd have to think his ancestors had some first hand experience with those at some point in 1945.
Quote:Agree -- Tampa & Miami has those all over the place.  A Miami one is shown below

[Image: ducktour.jpg]
I had no clue! I have never seen anything like it in the civilian world. 
My wife is obsessed with Duck Tours and the like.  First thing she will google when we are visiting a new place is if there is a duck tour.  Almost all of them are really good.  The one in Miami was great, cool to see all the houses on the islands that nobody else can get to.

Side note, do not take the duck tour in stone mountain Georgia.  It's awful.

Well we had the Gus Bus here in Jacksonville, but it didn't work out very well.

Quote:Well we had the Gus Bus here in Jacksonville, but it didn't work out very well.

It kept sinking.
When we want a bus on the river we just build a cool boat and call it a bus:

[Image: 52f722f1-761b-4f10-8266-48a412c85092.jpg]

Quote:I had no clue! I have never seen anything like it in the civilian world. 
Nor have I, until now.   That is pretty cool.