Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: What Do You Want to see vs. The Steelers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Understanding this is just a preseason game, it goes without saying fans will have expectations of what we want to see against a team this time of year.  Things I am looking forward to on Friday:  For the purposes of this discussion, Bortles' development is a given to watch.

1.  I want to see our receivers against the Steelers secondary-The Steelers secondary took a step back last year due to age.  Gone are Hall of Famers Troy Polamalu and coordinator Lebeau.  Gone is Ike Taylor.  While the Steelers traded for Boykin, last year showed they were vulnerable vs. the pass.  I want to see our WRs get open against a secondary in transition.

2.  Our offensive line against the Pittsburgh front 7.  Pittsburgh will continue to play the 3-4, but they will play it differently than in years past.  Whereas before, the Steelers used their linemen simply to occupy blocks, this time, they want their linemen to make more plays, and Cameron Heyward is capable of making them.  Can our linemen neutralize theirs and open up holes.  Ryan Shazier showed his speed last night and was all over the place.  Can our linemen get to the second level and seal him and the other LBs off in the running game, and can they pick up the blitz in the passing game?

3.  How will our secondary hold up against the Steelers' receivers?  Many Jaguars felt the Jaguars DBs played well in the scrimmage.  The challenge goes up a notch or two against the Steelers.The Steelers have a bunch of receivers, including the NFL's receiving leader last year Antonio Brown.  Martavis Bryant proved he can get separation deep last year, and they added another speedster in Sammie Coates.  Can we cover those guys?

4.  Despite the Steelers' fall from elite defense status last year, they still proved they were tough to run against, ranking 6th overall.  Can we get Yeldon and company going and averaging 4 ypc?

5.  The frigging kicking competition and special teams generally.    As we discussed on this board earlier, special teams cost us 2-3 games last year at least. Can our kicking teams actually block?  If so, how will the kickers perform in game situations, given adequate blocking?

I'd like the first team Ol to not suck. I'd like bortles to have a couple of nice throws. I'd like to see some pass rush out of the Leos.
I watched the Hall of Fame game last night, and I can tell you that Landry Jones is awful. If he starts, I want to see our D treat him like he's a rag doll.

I'm most curious to see Bortles. Watching him in the scrimmage, he's gotten noticeably better at some things, but he's also clearly got a ways to go. I'm worried about the Oline this year the most, and I tend to worry about Blake getting careless with the ball when he's under a heavy rush. He had a pass or two in that scrimmage that just screamed pick 6, I'm hoping he can come out and get comfortable early against pukesburgh.
Sidebar: I'll be flying from the Bahamas and driving from West Palm to see the game, and I'm really stoked that Jags football is back.

Joke: Why don't the Pittsburgh Steelers have cheerleaders? Because they can't find 13 women in Pittsburgh that have all their teeth!

Go Jags Wink
Quote:I'd like the first team Ol to not suck. I'd like bortles to have a couple of nice throws. I'd like to see some pass rush out of the Leos.
I hope to see that ryan Davis and Chris Smith have developed into quality pass rushing DEs/LEOs.
Quote:I watched the Hall of Fame game last night, and I can tell you that Landry Jones is awful. If he starts, I want to see our D treat him like he's a rag doll.

I'm most curious to see Bortles. Watching him in the scrimmage, he's gotten noticeably better at some things, but he's also clearly got a ways to go. I'm worried about the Oline this year the most, and I tend to worry about Blake getting careless with the ball when he's under a heavy rush. He had a pass or two in that scrimmage that just screamed pick 6, I'm hoping he can come out and get comfortable early against pukesburgh.
I don't recall seeing any potential pick 6s from Blake (I welcome enlightenment on these plays), but Jaguars QBs would have been sacked at least 3 times at the scrimmage if the action were live.

That concerns me.
Quote:I don't recall seeing any potential pick 6s from Blake (I welcome enlightenment on these plays), but Jaguars QBs would have been sacked at least 3 times at the scrimmage if the action were live.

That concerns me.

I was saying the same exact thing. How can we not block in a scrimmage game? And on the 2 yard line, I kept saying run playaction and they wouldnt. Then Henne got in the game and they run playaction. I sure hope the playcalling is not that bad during the season.
I want to see the Jaguars get past the 50 yard line multiple times and not settle for a FG every time.

I want to see the OLine keep Bortles protected, and open some running holes.

With Fowler and Clemons (for now) out, I want to see a Leo stand out and claim the spot.

Quote:I want to see the OLine keep Bortles protected, and open some running holes.

With Fowler and Clemons (for now) out, I want to see a Leo stand out and claim the spot.

This. I also want to see Bortles mechanics under live pressure
I want to see everyone walk off the field healthy
Quote:This. I also want to see Bortles mechanics under live pressure
I want to see Bortles mechanics also.

However, he won't be under pressure, if any at all in the preseason. There probably won't be blitzing and exotic defense packages.

Bortles should look very good, as he did during last year's preseason.
Football.
no injuries

I want to see our starting offence move the ball and score points against their starting defence. I am interested in seeing how they accomplish that.
Will be interesting to see how are secondary matches up with their receivers. And how our defense as a whole plays their starting offense.
Quote:no injuries
This times a million.

I want to watch us play good football while the ones are out on the field. 

I would like to see how far our depth stretches - perhaps find a surprise player?

Whatever, just let us go into the season with a healthy roster. 
Nick Marshall will be fun to watch
Jackson De Ville taking a bow.
Our starting CBs pretty much shut down our WRs in the scrimmage. I want to see if it was because our CBs are that good, or our WRs are that bad.

Pages: 1 2