Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Flashback Friday!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Look, I know I probably will get trolled for this but I was looking back at highlights on NFL.com, and I was looking at the overall play of the team then, and I have a couple of thoughts.

1. Blaine Gabbert really wasnt all that bad that we made him out to be. His rookie season he was thrown behind a makeshift OL. His second year he had a diferent OC, no receivers, no OL, defense was on the decline, and MJD was often injured. With all of that, he was destined for failure. Thanks Gene Smith.
  2. Justin Blackmon was a passionate player. This guy was more than average. I swear this dude was baby TO. You couldnt jam him and he had deceptive speed. That kid just let outside things win over football.
  3. We have a revolving door in the secondary between '11-13'. That spelled trouble from the start.
  4. Now the good stuff! 2010 felt good. Garrard and the boys could have won more games. It felt like we were on the cusp.

Just my observations. Lets the responses begin.

P.S. Jason Hill was on fire back then. What happened to that guy? lol.

Blaine Gabbert was exactly as bad as we made him out to be. Stop it. 

Gabbert was the WOAT

If Blackmon was passionate for football he'd be playing. He had the skill without the will
Quote:Blaine Gabbert was exactly as bad as we made him out to be. Stop it. 

Look, he had no development and too many OCs. He was doomed. Lets look at the environment around him, now look at the environment around Bortles. Bortles has a WAY better chance of success.

Quote:Gabbert was the WOAT

If Blackmon was passionate for football he'd be playing. He had the skill without the will

His demons were too much. Looking back at this dude and remembering how he was at OKST, this dude was passionate and a beast.
Jason Hill literally only produced on broken coverage. I remember when he had a 100 yard receiving game and a couple of people thought he was on the verge of becoming great. I don't think he sniffed 50 yards after that game.

Quote:Jason Hill literally only produced on broken coverage. I remember when he had a 100 yard receiving game and a couple of people thought he was on the verge of becoming great. I don't think he sniffed 50 yards after that game.

The only reason I included him in the post was on the highlights, he was alwasy catching a TD.

Does anyone remember that Gabbert to Shorts TD to win teh game in Indy vs rookie A. Luck? That was awesome to me.
Quote:The only reason I included him in the post was on the highlights, he was alwasy catching a TD.

Does anyone remember that Gabbert to Shorts TD to win teh game in Indy vs rookie A. Luck? That was awesome to me.

This was all sorts, sorry slant gone for the TD.

We all had hopes for Gabby, he had the size, the power and the smarts, but was thrown in too early and got scared way too quick.

Anyone remember that GB game where gabbert looked like he was becoming a qb, thru while getting hit, accurate, actually dominating that game. Then got hurt, and never saw that same gabbert again.

He had potential.
I stopped reading when I got to... "Blaine Gabbert really wasnt all that bad "

Quote:This was all sorts, sorry slant gone for the TD.

We all had hopes for Gabby, he had the size, the power and the smarts, but was thrown in too early and got scared way too quick.

Anyone remember that GB game where gabbert looked like he was becoming a qb, thru while getting hit, accurate, actually dominating that game. Then got hurt, and never saw that same gabbert again.

He had potential.

Thank you. Thats all I was saying.
Quote:This was all sorts, sorry slant gone for the TD.

He had potential.

I never saw Gabbert look like he was 'dominating' anything. He played a good game in Green Bay. Dominating? Not even close.

The only thing I can agree with was that he was thrown in too early. I really don't think it would have made any difference in the long run.

And this is coming from someone that tried his best to support Gabbert...longer than many.
Can't we just have Flash Forward Friday?

Like... Remember when, in 2017 the Jaguars went all the way after sweeping the hapless tacks, then beating the clots, squeelers, and pats in the playoffs

And then go on to win the SB against the Packers?

Man... good times...
Quote:I never saw Gabbert look like he was 'dominating' anything. He played a good game in Green Bay. Dominating? Not even close.

The only thing I can agree with was that he was thrown in too early. I really don't think it would have made any difference in the long run.

And this is coming from someone that tried his best to support Gabbert...longer than many.

I still support Sunshine. I still think he is better than Henne.
Quote:I still support Sunshine. I still think he is better than Henne.

That's like saying jock itch is better than poison ivy.
Quote:That's like saying jock itch is better than poison ivy.

OMG!!! lol. that was too funny. Holy crap. im dying laughing over here. oh man. rotfl.
Quote:Can't we just have Flash Forward Friday?

Like... Remember when, in 2017 the Jaguars went all the way after sweeping the hapless tacks, then beating the clots, squeelers, and pats in the playoffs

And then go on to win the SB against the Packers?

Man... good times...

Remember the time when Bobby Boucher showed up at halftime and the Mud Dogs won the Bourbon Bowl?!?!?
" He could do eeeeeeet !!!!"

Quote:Gabbert was the WOAT

Gabbert looked like a sissy when he got sacked. Bortles looks to throw it till the end. Night and day.
It's not like Gabbert looked like a great prospect from the get go.  Dude could never work under pressure even in college.  That's not something you can just coach out of someone.  He should not have been drafted in the first round, same with Locker and Ponder also.

Looking back, Garrard was a pretty good QB all things considered. He was alot of fun to watch at times.
Quote:Look, I know I probably will get trolled for this but I was looking back at highlights on NFL.com, and I was looking at the overall play of the team then, and I have a couple of thoughts.

1. Blaine Gabbert really wasnt all that bad that we made him out to be. His rookie season he was thrown behind a makeshift OL. His second year he had a diferent OC, no receivers, no OL, defense was on the decline, and MJD was often injured. With all of that, he was destined for failure. Thanks Gene Smith.
  2. Justin Blackmon was a passionate player. This guy was more than average. I swear this dude was baby TO. You couldnt jam him and he had deceptive speed. That kid just let outside things win over football.
  3. We have a revolving door in the secondary between '11-13'. That spelled trouble from the start.
  4. Now the good stuff! 2010 felt good. Garrard and the boys could have won more games. It felt like we were on the cusp.

Just my observations. Lets the responses begin.

P.S. Jason Hill was on fire back then. What happened to that guy? lol.

Thank you for the post and mostly seeing beyond the hype.  Blaine Gabbert had a ton of physical talent no doubt.  His issues were from the eyebrows up.  Justin Blackmon, if he had Jerry Rice's work ethic would could have been a top-ten HOF receiver.  He had that kind of talent.  Along with 1000 other guys who never made it.  In this league you gotta be right in the head to make it to the next level.  2010 was a better year than most people remember.  We were *this* freaking close to winning the division.  Garrard has been maligned in Jags history.  He wasn't a great QB sure, but just possibly the second best QB we've ever had.  Until now.

You got it.

Pages: 1 2