Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Now that the pads are coming on
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What do you want to see? 

If you were able to watch practice today, upon which players would you focus?

For me, there would be five players.

1.  Michael Bennett-Much of the post draft talk focused upon the value Bennett represented in the 6th round.  To me, now, he represents a bridge of sorts to hold over the pass rushing inside until Marks is back to 100%.

2.  A.J. Cann-Thus far, Beadles has been the starter at LG exclusively.  The Jaguars are going to more of a power approach, where the rookie is deemed to have an advantage.  Putting on the pads will put that theory to the test.

3.  Wisniewski-Gotta see if that shoulder is going to withstand hitting.

4.  Jermey Parnell-is he the answer at RT the team hopes?

5.  Joeckel-now we will see if actually having a healthy offseason will pay dividends and help him silence the bust talk, or will putting on the pads create more doubt in his ability.

are you going out there today to cover it Bullseye? 

Quote:are you going out there today to cover it Bullseye? 
Sadly, no.  Could not get away from work.
I guess you're focusing on linemen because of the pads, but I'd still say:

1. Bortles - duh

2. Joeckel - I think Joeckel will single-handedly determine if the OL is good this year. I think the other four as a group will be decent but not spectacular. So if Joeckel is good, the line will be good. If Joeckel is bad, the line will be bad. 

3. Allen Robinson - Emerging as the clear #1 of a group that is as unproven as a group could be. 

4. Jared Odrick - My favourite FA signing and may be very important if Marks isn't 100% at the start of the season. 

5. Branch? - Would be nice to see one of the young Leos to step up so that we have someone to pair with DFJ next year. Also it's a contract year for him. 

1. Joeckel - can he take the next step and be the LT for this team?

2. Yeldon - He's looked good out of pads, how will that translate once the pads go on.

3. Lee - If he's able to become a playmaker, the WR group could be really good.

4. Skuta - Another guy who's looked good out of pads, lets see how it translates.

Quote:I guess you're focusing on linemen because of the pads, but I'd still say:

1. Bortles - duh

2. Joeckel - I think Joeckel will single-handedly determine if the OL is good this year. I think the other four as a group will be decent but not spectacular. So if Joeckel is good, the line will be good. If Joeckel is bad, the line will be bad. 

3. Allen Robinson - Emerging as the clear #1 of a group that is as unproven as a group could be. 

4. Jared Odrick - My favourite FA signing and may be very important if Marks isn't 100% at the start of the season. 

5. Branch? - Would be nice to see one of the young Leos to step up so that we have someone to pair with DFJ next year. Also it's a contract year for him. 
Yeah, that's pretty much the rationale.

I think Bortles' success will hinge upon what's around him.  I think we already know Allen Robinson will go across the middle.

Branch was a good selection-one I overlooked TBH.
Quote:1. Joeckel - can he take the next step and be the LT for this team?

2. Yeldon - He's looked good out of pads, how will that translate once the pads go on.

3. Lee - If he's able to become a playmaker, the WR group could be really good.

4. Skuta - Another guy who's looked good out of pads, lets see how it translates.
Yeldon is a good pick.  I'd want to know if he can hold onto the football and break tackles/make guys miss.

Skuta...I'd want to see him at the point of attack against a guy like Parnell or Marcedes.
Michael Bennett I think he can be a stud for us down the road

For those keeping track, how has Joeckel looked without pads? I remember early ports saying he was getting beat often, but haven't really heard much since then.

Bennett could be the steal of the draft.
Quote:Bennett could be the steal of the draft.

I agree with you I've watched numerous videos on him and he seems like he has a high ceiling.

raweyejag

Don't think these practices are open
Bortles- looks poised, sharp, and seems to be seeing the field much better. Still making the occasional questionable throw into double/triple coverage.

Joeckel- Did ok today in pads. He did well in pass rush drills and team. He stills seems to lack good feet/ balance.

A Rob- Consistent, clear #1 receiver in my eyes.

Gerhart- looks pretty good. Quick, strong.

Pierce- not going to find many guys wanting to tackle him. Big guy, quick feet.

Yeldon- Just another guy. I would rank the RBs Gerhart, Pierce, Robinson (2 and 3 interchangeable)

Odrick- Massive dude, but plays weak. Seems like a low energy, space eater. Not impressed yet.

Alualu- Strong and active. Getting in the backfield often.

Branch- looks stronger, with good motor. Using his hands better.

Beadles- much improved! Stronger base.

Linder- strong, good hands and looks to be where he was last year.

Bowanko- looks bigger and stronger. The center comp will be intersting.
Quote:Bortles- looks poised, sharp, and seems to be seeing the field much better. Still making the occasional questionable throw into double/triple coverage.

Joeckel- Did ok today in pads. He did well in pass rush drills and team. He stills seems to lack good feet/ balance.

Yeldon- Just another guy. I would rank the RBs Gerhart, Pierce, Robinson (2 and 3 interchangeable)

Odrick- Massive dude, but plays weak. Seems like a low energy, space eater. Not impressed yet.

Yeldon just another guy?
Maybe i'm being unreasonable, but i have seen nothing from him yet. He has trouble seeing the holes and keeps trying to tap dance and spin in the backfield. He requires a big hole. He does run until the whistle, but he would have been tackled several times by then. I have yet to see him break but one good run. I don't doubt he has ability, but hasn't shown me much. He has been used between the tackles when he might have more success outside.
Quote:Bortles- looks poised, sharp, and seems to be seeing the field much better. Still making the occasional questionable throw into double/triple coverage.

I'm not too worried about such comments so early in camp. Fred Taylor looked like just another guy all the way through the Preseason as he did jack squat until James Stewart went down week two. There are some positions you can get a good eye for in these practices such as WR, but not RB so much.

Odrick is an established vet, and often these guys take it rather easy early in camp knowing that the time to peak is not now.

Quote:Maybe i'm being unreasonable, but i have seen nothing from him yet. He has trouble seeing the holes and keeps trying to tap dance and spin in the backfield. He requires a big hole. He does run until the whistle, but he would have been tackled several times by then. I have yet to see him break but one good run. I don't doubt he has ability, but hasn't shown me much. He has been used between the tackles when he might have more success outside.

It sounds like he's still adjusting to the speed and nuances of the nfl game. I hope you keep watching him and keep reporting if you see improvemnent. One thing to note is that is he's at his best once he gets going. With just the slightest bit of momentum he's able to switch gears instantly to blow through the tightest creases. I have no doubt at some point the game will slow down for him and he'll remind us all why he was drafted so early.

Questions....

Did you attend the practice today?

Who was Alualu beating to get into the backfield?  I saw one clip they showed during Gus' press conference that looked like he beat Cann on one play.  Was it mostly him and other backups, or was he beating starters, too?

Interesting you mentioned Beadles.  Marrone said he saw improvement in Beadles due to him playing with a wider base, and now you are saying it.  Is he not getting plowed into the backfield the way he was last year?

Quote:I'm not too worried about such comments so early in camp. Fred Taylor looked like just another guy all the way through the Preseason as he did jack squat until James Stewart went down week two. There are some positions you can get a good eye for in these practices such as WR, but not RB so much.

Odrick is an established vet, and often these guys take it rather easy early in camp knowing that the time to peak is not now.

I can fully go along with this. Yeldon can and does change directions rapidly. Holes just aren't opening as wide as he may like.

It was pretty hot and Odrick looked gassed. He got watered down a few times on the sidelines.
Quote:Questions....

Did you attend the practice today?

Who was Alualu beating to get into the backfield?  I saw one clip they showed during Gus' press conference that looked like he beat Cann on one play.  Was it mostly him and other backups, or was he beating starters, too?

Interesting you mentioned Beadles.  Marrone said he saw improvement in Beadles due to him playing with a wider base, and now you are saying it.  Is he not getting plowed into the backfield the way he was last year?

I was there today. From what I recall, Alualu beat Cann, Wells(badly), and split Parnell/Linder. He was pushing his guy back and few feet each and every time. Would have been in the QBs lap often.

Beadles has impressed me. I'll admit i'm not a big fan of his, but he has been stonewalling his guy. On plays where he did get pushed back, he regained leverage and turned his guy out. He did fall victim to two guys; Bennett and Jones. Both were able to get into his chest and lift him off his feet, throwing him back into the QB(bag). Not really too concerned because each lineman got beat a time or two. Some were way worse than others and luckily the "worse" were mainly backup guys.
Pages: 1 2