Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Farmer Who Was Visited By Obama Is Now The Face Of California's Drought
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/farmer-vi...95256.html

The drought in California is a very sad and frustrating situation that is getting worse by the day. It seems like most politicians would rather exploit the crisis for political gain, than trying to offer any real solutions to the crisis. Is desalination the best answer here? or are there any less expensive options for California to pursue?

Here's one; shut down bottled water plants that use public resources to make massive private profits. 

Quote:Here's one; shut down bottled water plants that use public resources to make massive private profits. 

Yes.

The International Bottled Water Association says that about 3.1 billion gallons of water are bottled in California annually.
The State of California needs to get on Silicon Valley to start researching efficient and cheap desalination plants.

Joe the Farmer?

Quote:Joe the Farmer?

"You didn't grow that."
I'm pretty sure that the 10M foreigners in California using water aren't helping either.

I agree that desalinization should be a priority. It should be a priority in every arid area near seawater. Continual use of 'fossil' groundwater is not sustainable, and the Colorado river is sucked dry by the time it reaches Mexico.

The current problem is that NIMBYs prevented several California water storage projects in the last two decades. You reap what you sow.

Quote:I'm pretty sure that the 10M foreigners in California using water aren't helping either.

I agree that desalinization should be a priority. It should be a priority in every arid area near seawater. Continual use of 'fossil' groundwater is not sustainable, and the Colorado river is sucked dry by the time it reaches Mexico.

The current problem is that NIMBYs prevented several California water storage projects in the last two decades. You reap what you sow.
Illegal immigrants hardly even count as a drop in the bucket (pun intended). The problems are the antiquated water rights laws, the existence of companies like Nestle that bottle water en masse from California, which has no water to give while much of the Midwest floods out every year, the NIMBYs you mentioned and the drought itself. I completely agree on desalinization, though. The sooner that's implemented on a large scale, the sooner California's water needs are alleviated, thus easing the pressure on the rivers and lakes and increasing water availability elsewhere.