Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: R.I.P. Rowdy Roddy Piper...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My son just told that the great Rowdy Roddy Piper just passed away. Cardiac arrest is the reported cause.

R.I.P. to one of my two favorite wrestlers of all time.

Here's the story  

WWE Legend ‘Rowdy’ Roddy Piper Dies at 61

WWE legend “Rowdy” Roddy Piper died after suffering a heart attack in his Hollywood home. He was 61.

Born Roderick George Toombs, Piper joined the WWE in 1984 after getting his start with the NWA in the late 1970s. He and Hulk Hogan met in landmark matchups including MTV’s “The War to Settle the Score” and the first WrestleMania, where Piper and “Mr. Wonderful” Paul Orndorff took on Hogan and Mr. T.

http://variety.com/2015/biz/obituaries-p...201554513/

Heard it was natural causes. But also has had a fight with cancer.

Quote:Here's the story  

WWE Legend ‘Rowdy’ Roddy Piper Dies at 61

WWE legend “Rowdy” Roddy Piper died after suffering a heart attack in his Hollywood home. He was 61.

Born Roderick George Toombs, Piper joined the WWE in 1984 after getting his start with the NWA in the late 1970s. He and Hulk Hogan met in landmark matchups including MTV’s “The War to Settle the Score” and the first WrestleMania, where Piper and “Mr. Wonderful” Paul Orndorff took on Hogan and Mr. T.

http://variety.com/2015/biz/obituaries-p...201554513/
Thanks, Drifter.
Damn

He seemed to be doing okay and was somewhat active on Twitter.

As a kid of the 80's that was addicted to the WWF, I have become used to seeing the guys I looked up to pass on. 

The Ultimate Warrior, The Junkyard Dog, Andre the Giant, Randy Savage.

But this one hit me. He was supposed to do an appearance at the SunRay Cinema here in Jacksonville in October with a screening of John Carpenter's They Live. I was really looking forward to meeting him.

RIP to the legend.

R.I.P., Roddy.

One of my my favorite performer from days of wrestling past.

And not a half-bad actor, either.

I don't follow "wrassiling" at all, but I do recognize the name.  I hate to hear of anyone's passing.  RIP.

Bummer. RIP.
The fight with him and Keith David in They Live is a classic.  PUT THE GLASSES ON!

[Image: Piper.jpg]

After the Macho Man, Rowdy Roddy Piper was my next favorite.  My 2 alltime favorite WWF "raslers" both dead due to heart attacks at too young of age.  Damn those steroids.  

His performance in that all time cult classic "They Live" is legendary.

RIP Rowdy Roddy  Piper!

Rowdy Roddy was one of the all time greats of the WWF. One of my top five. Many of the Golden Age are starting to pass on. If 'rasslin were half as good now as then I may still be able to watch! RIP Hot Rod

He was my favorite "Old School" wrestler. RIP Hot Rod.

Quote:He was my favorite "Old School" wrestler. RIP Hot Rod.
"Old" or "new" school. He is one of the best. Nothing today compares to the "old"
Quote:"Old" or "new" school. He is one of the best. Nothing today compares to the "old"

Co-signed.

It really is sad to think of how many of these guys have passed on. I think what'll really get me is when Barry Windham and The Undertaker leave us (my two favorite wrestlers of all time that I've seen in person). I wasn't "vested" when Piper was in his prime, but I especially have fond memories of his many epic Piper's Pit moments.

RIP, Hot Rod!
"They Live" is such an underrated movie. RIP Rowdy

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick [BLEEP], and I am all out of bubblegum"

"Brother, life's a [BLEEP], and she's back in heat".

RIP Rowdy Roddy Piper.  

He was one of my favorite entertainers in any venue.   The Wrestling component of the show took a backseat for me when Rowdy Roddy Piper was involved.

Quote:Rowdy Roddy was one of the all time greats of the WWF. One of my top five. Many of the Golden Age are starting to pass on. If 'rasslin were half as good now as then I may still be able to watch! RIP Hot Rod

Sadly,  Jimmy 'Superfly'  Snuka is in the battle of his life:

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news...cer-201538

I haven't watched wrestling in decades but I got plenty of pleasure from it in the 1970's and 1980's.    With Rowdy Roddy Piper and George'  the Animal'  Steele my two all-time favorite wrestling personalities.  
"Just when you think you've found the answer, I change the question!"

RIP Roddy Piper

Grantland did a really good article on Piper complete with videos from the past.  The guy was phenomenal.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/rowdy-...fly-snuka/

I enjoyed watching him as a child, R.I.P