Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 'Impossible' rocket drive works and could get to Moon in four hours
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

'Impossible' rocket drive works and could get to Moon in four hours

The British designed EM Drive actually works and would dramatically speed up space travel, scientists have confirmed

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/...hours.html

Quote:'Impossible' rocket drive works and could get to Moon in four hours

The British designed EM Drive actually works and would dramatically speed up space travel, scientists have confirmed

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/...hours.html

I love the fact that there are sources other than the US & Russia exploring space travel BUT I must admit, I've been watching so many things blow up during recent attempts that I'm quite skeptical about some of these expectations.

Quote:I love the fact that there are sources other than the US & Russia exploring space travel BUT I must admit, I've been watching so many things blow up during recent attempts that I'm quite skeptical about some of these expectations.
^

That and the cost of undertaking such space operations. In the 1970's NASA had a hugely ambitious plan to build a massive space habitat for Astronauts and colonists. They backed off from it once they figured out that it would take upwards of 40-50 years to complete, and that it would cost more than 3X the entire GDP of the United States to get the money and resources in order to build it. It's great that people are still passionate about space travel and colonization, but you also have to be realistic of these things at the same time. I think that we need to solve our problems here on Earth first before venturing out into Space and beyond.
Quote:^

That and the cost of undertaking such space operations. In the 1970's NASA had a hugely ambitious plan to build a massive space habitat for Astronauts and colonists. They backed off from it once they figured out that it would take upwards of 40-50 years to complete, and that it would cost more than 3X the entire GDP of the United States to get the money and resources in order to build it. It's great that people are still passionate about space travel and colonization, but you also have to be realistic of these things at the same time. I think that we need to solve our problems here on Earth first before venturing out into Space and beyond.

We would never venture out into space and beyond if we had to try and solve our problems here first. Space exploration is very important for man kind. It is one of the things that unites us.
It works on beans.

My first thought was... could the human body handle the acceleration?

Still effective for non-manned exploration until they get all that squared up.
Quote:My first thought was... could the human body handle the acceleration?

That was my first thought too, the acceleration on that thing has to be over 8g's
Quote:My first thought was... could the human body handle the acceleration?

I would think-not being a scientist/medical doctor-that if acceleration would be an issue, the craft would either not go full speed until out of earth's gravitational pull- or people would board the craft in space.
Quote:I would think-not being a scientist/medical doctor-that if acceleration would be an issue, the craft would either not go full speed until out of earth's gravitational pull- or people would board the craft in space.

Acceleration doesn't have anything to do with the force of gravity though. A "g" is simply a way of normalizing the force on the body due to acceleration. Regardless, the inertia of the mass of whatever is being moved has to be overcome, the faster you over come that inertia (acceleration), the higher the force on the thing.
Quote:Acceleration doesn't have anything to do with the force of gravity though. A "g" is simply a way of normalizing the force on the body due to acceleration. Regardless, the inertia of the mass of whatever is being moved has to be overcome, the faster you over come that inertia (acceleration), the higher the force on the thing.
Forgive my scientific ignorance here.

So the force that gravity exerts on the body is not magnified or increased (either in fact or effect) by acceleration?

To me that seems kinda counterintuitive-if I even understand your point correctly.

If an astronaut is in a capsule outside of earth's gravitational pull and in orbit, the capsule he is in is moving while orbiting.  The force of the movement of the capsule does not force the astronaut against the wall of the craft.  He has to be strapped in to a chair to keep from floating in a zero gravity environment. 

Nevertheless, this topic is very fascinating to me considering I am a bit of a star wars geek and the concept of space travel was always cool to me, but not possible because so many interesting places are so many light years away.  Now, if this article is accurate and longer term space voyages are a lot more viable, I'm a lot more interested in the concept.

Quote:Forgive my scientific ignorance here.

So the force that gravity exerts on the body is not magnified or increased (either in fact or effect) by acceleration?

To me that seems kinda counterintuitive-if I even understand your point correctly.

If an astronaut is in a capsule outside of earth's gravitational pull and in orbit, the capsule he is in is moving while orbiting.  The force of the movement of the capsule does not force the astronaut against the wall of the craft.  He has to be strapped in to a chair to keep from floating in a zero gravity environment. 

Nevertheless, this topic is very fascinating to me considering I am a bit of a star wars geek and the concept of space travel was always cool to me, but not possible because so many interesting places are so many light years away.  Now, if this article is accurate and longer term space voyages are a lot more viable, I'm a lot more interested in the concept.

Not really, no. The reason for that is because the force that Gravity is applying on the two objects being attracted to one another is based on their mass. Since the acceleration does not affect the mass of either object, the force is the same. Now! Things change once you get out of the earth's gravitational field. The further away you get (the distance, not the rate at which you change location) the lesser the gravitational pull.
Quote:Not really, no. The reason for that is because the force that Gravity is applying on the two objects being attracted to one another is based on their mass. Since the acceleration does not affect the mass of either object, the force is the same. Now! Things change once you get out of the earth's gravitational field. The further away you get (the distance, not the rate at which you change location) the lesser the gravitational pull.

You sound so stoopid.  It's not like you're a nuclear engineer or anything.
Quote:You sound so stoopid.  It's not like you're a nuclear engineer or anything.

Will you be quiet?!?! I'm trying to read this book about gravity and there's some really long words in here.
Quote:Not really, no. The reason for that is because the force that Gravity is applying on the two objects being attracted to one another is based on their mass. Since the acceleration does not affect the mass of either object, the force is the same. Now! Things change once you get out of the earth's gravitational field. The further away you get (the distance, not the rate at which you change location) the lesser the gravitational pull.
So assuming a zero gravity environment, what forces would impact human physiology as to make acceleration described in this thread potentially untenable?

I'll shut up after this...promise.
Quote:Will you be quiet?!?! I'm trying to read this book about gravity and there's some really long words in here.

I think Sandra Bullock is hawt.
Quote:I think Sandra Bullock is hawt.

That's something that we all can agree on.
Quote:So assuming a zero gravity environment, what forces would impact human physiology as to make acceleration described in this thread potentially untenable?

There's a slight benefit because the net force is reduced with the lack of gravity but when we're talking about four hour trips to the Moon the effect is negligible.

BTW, the mechanism we're talking about does work, but it produces a tiny force and it won't be getting us anywhere any time soon. 
Science is awesome

Quote:So assuming a zero gravity environment, what forces would impact human physiology as to make acceleration described in this thread potentially untenable?

It's the inertia that you are overcoming and that is what causes problems for human passengers.

As Newton states, an object at rest will stay at rest. In order to get that object out of rest, you have to apply force to it. The greater the force on the object, the greater the object resists movement. This resistance to movement is what you feel when you push the accelerator in your car. The force being applied is from the engine. You aren't feeling gravity, what you are feeling is your car (and yourself in it) resisting the change in it's state due to the force being applied via your engine.

Deacon I didn't know you were smart! :woot:

Pages: 1 2