Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Living in Jacksonville or surrounding areas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been looking to get out of Miami for a little while now, and since I'm a Jags fan, I've thought about possibly looking into a move to Jacksonville. It'd be nice to be around other Jags fan for a change and since we have season tickets, it will be a lot easier going to the games and the drive home wouldn't be as brutal after a loss.

But other than the Jags, what else is there to do in Jax and how is the cost of living and the job market and such? As far as housing, I don't really need anything fancy. A comfy one bedroom apartment or studio would do. Is Jacksonville a good city to find an affordable apartment? (You're probably thinking that anything is more affordable than Miami, and you're right)

What about other sports, entertainment, night life, food etc?

Would also love to hear from people who live in Orlando and Tampa as well, cause I know there are some on here from there.

Jacksonville Pros:

*Clean

*Not totally congested like other cities

*Easy commute if you have a vehicle.

*Nice beach w/ a residential vibe. Great for bicycling and hanging out.

*A lot of new restaurants & communities -- city is just emerging in development.

*Very affordable

*You actually get a 6 month break from 80+ weather.

Jacksonville Cons:

*Doesn't have the extreme blue water that Tampa & Miami have

*Lacks some of the international flare that Tampa, Orlando, and Miami have.  Although, some people would consider this a PRO.

I would move to Jacksonville in a heartbeat if I had the chance.
I highly recommend staying at the Gator Lodge on Philips Highway while you're up here looking for a place.

5 Star dammit..
Quote:I highly recommend staying at the Gator Lodge on Philips Highway while you're up here looking for a place.

5 Star dammit..

Paying by the hour is awesome!
Quote:Paying by the hour is awesome!

And the Walmart is right across the street when you need refills of your Valtrex!! :thumbsup:
dont live on north or west side

Quote:And they Walmart is right across the street when you need refills of your Valtrex!! :thumbsup:

HIPAA!!!!!!!!!
What kind of work do you do? I've been told computer jobs are harder to find up here?
If it was me, I would look to the outlying areas, unless you are into "city life".  If the "city life" is what you prefer, then closer to downtown would be your kind of place.  San Marco or Riverside would be the "ideal" places to go.  Keep in mind, these areas are more "alternative" areas of town.  If you are adventurous, then look in areas such as Springfield or Arlington, though I highly recommend getting some Kevlar.

Nightlife isn't the same as Miami, but it's alright out at the beaches and in St. Augustine.

Quote:If you are adventurous, then look in areas such as Springfield or Arlington, though I highly recommend getting some Kevlar.
And a tank.
Quote:If it was me, I would look to the outlying areas, unless you are into "city life".  If the "city life" is what you prefer, then closer to downtown would be your kind of place.  San Marco or Riverside would be the "ideal" places to go.  Keep in mind, these areas are more "alternative" areas of town.  If you are adventurous, then look in areas such as Springfield or Arlington, though I highly recommend getting some Kevlar.

Nightlife isn't the same as Miami, but it's alright out at the beaches and in St. Augustine.

Meh...it's been getting pretty "normal" over here for the past few years, at least compared to how it used to be.
I live at the beach, best part of jax. there is plenty of affordable housing,  I cant tell you about the job market though because I rarely work in jax

Quote:I've been looking to get out of Miami for a little while now, and since I'm a Jags fan, I've thought about possibly looking into a move to Jacksonville. It'd be nice to be around other Jags fan for a change and since we have season tickets, it will be a lot easier going to the games and the drive home wouldn't be as brutal after a loss.

But other than the Jags, what else is there to do in Jax and how is the cost of living and the job market and such? As far as housing, I don't really need anything fancy. A comfy one bedroom apartment or studio would do. Is Jacksonville a good city to find an affordable apartment? (You're probably thinking that anything is more affordable than Miami, and you're right)

What about other sports, entertainment, night life, food etc?

Would also love to hear from people who live in Orlando and Tampa as well, cause I know there are some on here from there.

One thing to think about is that the public transit system is not good so you'll need a car.  Each area of the city has it's own flair, some areas are nicer than others to say the least.  The entertainment options are limited compared to someplace like Miami, but the Beaches and San Marco/Riverside area have options.  There are foodie places around in those areas, some are really good.  The job market is relative, but overall I would say it holds up well to other parts of the country depending on what you do.  Supposedly it's one of the top cities for startups and has a good market for tech workers and the healthcare industry relative to the population.
Thanks for the replies.

The nightlife and entertainment options really aren't that big a deal. I can find way to entertain myself. Good places to eat, however, that's way more important to me. I love going out to eat. Transportation wouldn't be an issue either.