Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Colts release T Gosder Cherilus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This doesn't come as a shock.   When factoring in the knee injury Gosder Cherilus dealt with when with the Lions and his additional medical issues,  his NFL future seems to be in serious doubt.    As we have seen repeatedly,  injuries are an unfortunate reality for countless NFL players.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...-cherilus/

Colts fans spent a lot of time defending this guy over the last couple years. The Lions knew he wasn't worth the money he made.
Quote:Colts fans spent a lot of time defending this guy over the last couple years. The Lions knew he wasn't worth the money he made.

Even if Gosder Cherilus and his agent gave the Lions the opportunity to at least match the Colts offer to him,  there's no way the Lions could have afforded under the salary cap to give Cherilus that lucrative contract.  Not after his history in having micro fracture knee surgery and the team's salary cap situation at that time.   The Colts got a good player when relatively healthy but they gave him  'great player'  money.  
I always thought he was a bit of an oaf at RT. I did not like him at BC, Detroit, or Indy.
He was very, very solid in 2013. Arguably our best OL. However, he was not very good in 2014, injuries included, it didn't work out.

I seem to remember you loving this signing CW...
Quote:I seem to remember you loving this signing CW...

Wrong.

I loved him after his first year, how could a Colts fan not? He was absolutely solid. Shame injuries got to him.
who replaces him

Quote:who replaces him

It looks like Jack Mewhort,  who primarily played LG as a rookie for the Colts in 2014,  has the inside track.   Assuming that happens,  the question that comes to mind for me is who emerges as the Colts starting LG in 2015?
Quote:It looks like Jack Mewhort,  who primarily played LG as a rookie for the Colts in 2014,  has the inside track.   Assuming that happens,  the question that comes to mind for me is who emerges as the Colts starting LG in 2015?

Yup, signs point to Jack sliding over to RT, after being a solid player at LG.

LG will either be: Donald Thomas (has missed last 2 years with injuries), Joe Reitz (versatile OL), Hugh Thornton, or Lance Louis. That spot is up in the air.
Quote:Yup, signs point to Jack sliding over to RT, after being a solid player at LG.

LG will either be: Donald Thomas (has missed last 2 years with injuries), Joe Reitz (versatile OL), Hugh Thornton, or Lance Louis. That spot is up in the air.
I actually think Mewhort is better suited to RT than G, and think he will be better in that spot than Cherilus.
Quote:Yup, signs point to Jack sliding over to RT, after being a solid player at LG.

Do you think there's a realistic chance the Colts will sign former Eagles G Evan Mathis?
Quote:  Do you think there's a realistic chance the Colts will sign former Eagles G Evan Mathis?

I don't see it happening, but it's definetly a possibility. I'm thinking a big reason for cutting Cherilus is to save up some money for re-signing some players next year (Luck, Hilton, Fleener, Allen, etc.)
Colts plan to just 'Luck' their way to a Super Bowl. They're not doing him any favors