Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Drag Queens Banned From Pride Event For Offending Trans People
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Story  Apparently people everywhere can be offended, it's not just an American thing. I find this to be absurd. Drag queens have always been the centerpiece for Gay Pride events. 

<p style="font-size:16px;font-family:Georgia, Times, serif;color:rgb(0,0,0);">"In Scotland, a ban on drag performers at an event in this year’s pride celebrations has rocked the LGBT community and spun into in-fighting between advocacy groups.

<p style="font-size:16px;font-family:Georgia, Times, serif;color:rgb(0,0,0);">Free Pride, a newcomer organization with a self-proclaimed plan to revive the event’s radicalism, announced what many found was a perplexing decision on Friday: It was banning drag queens from performing in their August celebrations.

<p style="font-size:16px;font-family:Georgia, Times, serif;color:rgb(0,0,0);">In an explanation on its blog, the founders argued that drag turned gender identity into a joke. “The decision was taken by transgender individuals who were uncomfortable with having drag performances at the event,” it wrote. “It was felt that it would make some of those who were transgender or questioning their gender uncomfortable.”"

So gay pride is the one place where drag queens are banned?  

I wonder how much they thought this through.

I just think it's ridiculous that suddenly drag queens are offensive to transgenders. Years ago I was friends with or at least knew many gay folks, a few transgenders and drag queens and for the most part there was no animosity. Drag queens were like the outrageous cousins of the LGBT community. Sure, some didn't like them, but they were pretty uptight about everything in general anyway. 

Damn, there goes my weekend :teehee:

I once read a quote from a transgendered woman, the essence of which was drag queens are to transgendered and transsexual women what black faced performers were to African-Americans. A parody.

Free Glasgow Pride already reversed the decision.

http://www.newnownext.com/glasgow-pride-...s/07/2015/

Quote:I once read a quote from a transgendered woman, the essence of which was drag queens are to transgendered and transsexual women what black faced performers were to African-Americans. A parody.

That seems awfully intolerant coming from people who claim to be the opposite.
Quote:That seems awfully intolerant coming from people who claim to be the opposite.

This particular person only commented on her`particular view of drag queens. She didn't even say they offended her, and she said nothing about whether they should be allowed to participate in Gay Pride events in Scotland, but extrapolate as you see fit.
Quote:This particular person only commented on her`particular view of drag queens. She didn't even say they offended her, and she said nothing about whether they should be allowed to participate in Gay Pride events in Scotland, but extrapolate as you see fit.

So did your previous post have a point? Was it to say that the transgendered community largely views drag queens as parody (or worse, considering the blackface comparison), or were you just offering one person's view? If it was the latter, then who cares?
Quote:I just think it's ridiculous that suddenly drag queens are offensive to transgenders. Years ago I was friends with or at least knew many gay folks, a few transgenders and drag queens and for the most part there was no animosity. Drag queens were like the outrageous cousins of the LGBT community. Sure, some didn't like them, but they were pretty uptight about everything in general anyway. 

It's crazy, everyone has to be offended about something.  You would think gay people, drag queens, transgendered have pretty similar views on life....to trash one to show how fake offended you are is funny.
Quote:So did your previous post have a point? Was it to say that the transgendered community largely views drag queens as parody (or worse, considering the blackface comparison), or were you just offering one person's view? If it was the latter, then who cares?

Or to have a response in rebuttal only to point out it was only one persons opinion to a point you were clearly trying to make.
They'll always have Hamburger Mary's to fall back on!

This seems a bit silly.

Quote:So did your previous post have a point? Was it to say that the transgendered community largely views drag queens as parody (or worse, considering the blackface comparison), or were you just offering one person's view? If it was the latter, then who cares?
Exactly
Quote:This particular person only commented on her`particular view of drag queens. She didn't even say they offended her, and she said nothing about whether they should be allowed to participate in Gay Pride events in Scotland, but extrapolate as you see fit.

Well, the blog for this group hoping to revive the radical style of the event says drags turned gender identity into a joke, so it clearly bothered them.  For the record, it's not drags making gender identity a joke. 
Quote:They'll always have Hamburger Mary's to fall back on!

This seems a bit silly.
A bit? 

They don't want to allow drag queens to participate (Hamburger Mary's rocks, BTW), but they'll let thong wearing fat guys in gimp masks and a dog collar (nothing else) parade around making a mockery of the majority of gay men and there's no problem because that fits in with the "radicalism" they're hoping to revive.  It's beyond silly. 

Quote:A bit? 

They don't want to allow drag queens to participate (Hamburger Mary's rocks, BTW), but they'll let thong wearing fat guys in gimp masks and a dog collar (nothing else) parade around making a mockery of the majority of gay men and there's no problem because that fits in with the "radicalism" they're hoping to revive.  It's beyond silly.

This made me laugh. Not sure if it was the dog collar comment. No, it definitely was the dog collar comment. You are correct though. The mafia needs to get back to basics!!!! Wink Wink
Quote:It's crazy, everyone has to be offended about something. You would think gay people, drag queens, transgendered have pretty similar views on life....to trash one to show how fake offended you are is funny.

We've created a world full of attention whores. Being offended gets the best response right now, but eventually we'll tire of that too.

Does any one person speak for an entire community? I just presented one person's point of view and, for the record, she wasn't being intolerant. She doesn't care who marches in parades. Her point was when she encounters questions about her gender, the questioner often has a preconceived notion based on observations of drag queens.

The gay community passing judgement? How intolerant!
Really?!

No jokes about being butthurt?!

Ya'll are slackin'..

Pages: 1 2