Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Clowney Update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Have I gotten to the age / point in my life where every time I read a quote by someone who performed a service and states that it looks great / ahead of schedule / phenomenal I simply doubt it? Here he is having undergone, what? Three surgeries within the last 18 months? And now they are trying out an experimental rehab process on him and everything is "spectacular"?

The proof will be shown on the field.

Quote:Have I gotten to the age / point in my life where every time I read a quote by someone who performed a service and states that it looks great / ahead of schedule / phenomenal I simply doubt it? Here he is having undergone, what? Three surgeries within the last 18 months? And now they are trying out an experimental rehab process on him and everything is "spectacular"?

The football purist and believer in Clowney's ability wants to see the report be true.

The side of me that wants all things related to the Texans to be mired in failure does not want the report to be true.

Oddly enough, the jaded cynical guy that I am still wants to believe the report to be true.
It seems to me, if you read the Forbes article they're pulling the quote from, the doctor is only referring to the amount of atrophy in his quad as spectacular.
Quote:The football purist and believer in Clowney's ability wants to see the report be true.

The side of me that wants all things related to the Texans to be mired in failure does not want the report to be true.

Oddly enough, the jaded cynical guy that I am still wants to believe the report to be true.
I think you need to take a more realistic approach.  Microfracture surgery is one of those procedures that leads into other issues with arthritis and constant swelling in that joint.  They made a good point in the video in that link that the Texans will have to limit his reps because of the procedure.  It's not a career ending surgery, but it is one of those things that can alter the way a player plays the game.  If you're a guy that needs explosiveness and leverage, and the ability to power through blocks or make quick lateral or spin moves, it's a tough one to come back from 100%.  If the reports about Clowney's motor are true, this is not a guy who is nearly as dedicated to his profession as someone like JJ Watt, so it will be interesting to see how he comes back from this.  I'm skeptical.
Quote:Have I gotten to the age / point in my life where every time I read a quote by someone who performed a service and states that it looks great / ahead of schedule / phenomenal I simply doubt it? Here he is having undergone, what? Three surgeries within the last 18 months? And now they are trying out an experimental rehab process on him and everything is "spectacular"?

Yep. Anymore "ahead of schedule" = on track / slightly behind schedule.
Quote:I think you need to take a more realistic approach.  Microfracture surgery is one of those procedures that leads into other issues with arthritis and constant swelling in that joint.  They made a good point in the video in that link that the Texans will have to limit his reps because of the procedure.  It's not a career ending surgery, but it is one of those things that can alter the way a player plays the game.  If you're a guy that needs explosiveness and leverage, and the ability to power through blocks or make quick lateral or spin moves, it's a tough one to come back from 100%.  If the reports about Clowney's motor are true, this is not a guy who is nearly as dedicated to his profession as someone like JJ Watt, so it will be interesting to see how he comes back from this.  I'm skeptical.
I don't think I am being unrealistic here.

I know full well that microfracture surgery is often a game changer-literally-and that players who undergo this surgery often are not the players they were prior to the procedure.

Nevertheless, hoping for a particular result does not necessarily equate to being unrealistic or oblivious to the odds.
His rehab might be going well but the doc can't fix his lack of passion for the game.  He'll show flashes because he's such a freak but he just doesn't have the motor to be anything special.

Sounds a lot like what we heard with Tony Brackens when he had micro fracture surgery.
This from TU alum Tania Ganguli...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/133274...d-recovery

FWIW, PUP is the same designation the Jaguars have put on DT Senderrick Marks and rookie FS James Sample to start camp.

Quote:Sounds a lot like what we heard with Tony Brackens when he had micro fracture surgery.

Depends on who was doing the talking. I recall Vic Ketchman being very up front about what a micro fracture surgery really means, and how it was likely that a player getting one probably wasn't going to be the same guy.
The article is misleading about what Microfracture surgery actually is.  They say it helps the existing cartilage to heal, but in reality, the procedure is intended to develop new cartilage.  The problem is, it's not as forgiving as the real thing, so the joint is immediately an arthritic joint.  That's why many players who have the procedure have so many issues.  The swelling and pain are always going to be an issue.  The potential for follow up surgeries to repeat the process is pretty high.  It takes someone with a significant work ethic who is a dedicated rehab guy to get back anywhere close to normal, and Clowney is reportedly the exact opposite.  

Personally, I'm anxious to see him play again.  He is, or at least was, a freak of nature.

The idea of seeing less of a Clowney-Watt combo makes me smile.  I am sorry that it comes from an injury though.   

Quote:The article is misleading about what Microfracture surgery actually is.  They say it helps the existing cartilage to heal, but in reality, the procedure is intended to develop new cartilage.  The problem is, it's not as forgiving as the real thing, so the joint is immediately an arthritic joint.  That's why many players who have the procedure have so many issues.  The swelling and pain are always going to be an issue.  The potential for follow up surgeries to repeat the process is pretty high.  It takes someone with a significant work ethic who is a dedicated rehab guy to get back anywhere close to normal, and Clowney is reportedly the exact opposite.  

My impression is that it doesn't develop new cartilage, it just creates scar tissue that keeps the bones from rubbing against each other.

The only player I can think of that was reasonably productive after this surgery was Kellen Winslow Jr. Can anyone here name some other players who came back to play well after microfracture surgery?

Quote:The idea of seeing less of a Clowney-Watt combo makes me smile.  I am sorry that it comes from an injury though.   
Feel this is my opinion too...
Quote:My impression is that it doesn't develop new cartilage, it just creates scar tissue that keeps the bones from rubbing against each other.

The only player I can think of that was reasonably productive after this surgery was Kellen Winslow Jr. Can anyone here name some other players who came back to play well after microfracture surgery?

Revis had it after he tore his ACL in 2012.
Would really like to see what Watt and a healthy Clowney could do on the field. Not against us of course though.
Quote:The article is misleading about what Microfracture surgery actually is.  They say it helps the existing cartilage to heal, but in reality, the procedure is intended to develop new cartilage.  The problem is, it's not as forgiving as the real thing, so the joint is immediately an arthritic joint.  That's why many players who have the procedure have so many issues.  The swelling and pain are always going to be an issue.  The potential for follow up surgeries to repeat the process is pretty high.  It takes someone with a significant work ethic who is a dedicated rehab guy to get back anywhere close to normal, and Clowney is reportedly the exact opposite.  
Dr. FBT is back.  Sample should be 100% by now...
Pages: 1 2