Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Mariotta signs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
All rookies are now under contract.
To start or not to start.

I say you start em and let em learn!
Start. I want to see Jameis vs. Mariota Week 1
Quote:All rookies are now under contract.

I think I read the Colts still have 2 3rd rounders yet to sign
Quote:I think I read the Colts still have 2 3rd rounders yet to sign
I believe he is speaking about 1st rounders
I think by far the best thing to come out of the last CBA was the new rookie wage scale. It's not only paid rookies as they should be, it also all but eliminates rookie holdouts. Genius. By the way Browntrouser, welcome to the board! About time we have another Boilermaker around here. I was the only one until your arrival.
Quote:I think by far the best thing to come out of the last CBA was the new rookie wage scale. It's not only paid rookies as they should be, it also all but eliminates rookie holdouts. Genius. By the way Browntrouser, welcome to the board! About time we have another Boilermaker around here. I was the only one until your arrival.
Thanks, I was also hoping to find some Jags fans in the Lafayette area. Tired of being the only teal jersey in the bar haha. All of my friends are Colts or Bears fans.
Boiler UP!!!!

Any thoughts on the upcoming season. Personally hoping Blough can over take AA. I think David has way more upside.
I'm already bypassing football season and looking forward to hoops. I think this is the best chance they've had to make the Final Four since Hummel was there.
I pick Purdue to win 4 games this football season

Quote:I'm already bypassing football season and looking forward to hoops. I think this is the best chance they've had to make the Final Four since Hummel was there.

All depends on Hill. If he is even average then the team should go far!

POTFH
Four wins would be north of what I'm expecting.  Indy2Jax, agreed on Hill.  If he's anywhere near as good as Octeus, they should have a great season.  They need to recruit a PG instead of relying on all these transfers.

I have to admit it brought a smile to my face knowing that the titans got bullied off of their stance and gave in to this guy. Their stance was stupid, but if you're going to take a stand then take it, don't cave in. Mariotta is going to be another Jake Locker for them.

Quote:I have to admit it brought a smile to my face knowing that the titans got bullied off of their stance and gave in to this guy. Their stance was stupid, but if you're going to take a stand then take it, don't cave in. Mariotta is going to be another Jake Locker for them.
Interestingly, lots of somewhat conflicting info coming out of Tennessee.

They indicated Mariota will be the starter opening week against Tennessee.  I thought Mettenberger was good enough last year to warrant early season starter consideration, but I suppose there is something to be said for dispensing with pretense and not delaying the inevitable.

Now they indicate they don't want to overwhelm him in camp.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...a-in-camp/

How basic is that offense going to be this year?
Quote:Interestingly, lots of somewhat conflicting info coming out of Tennessee.

They indicated Mariota will be the starter opening week against Tennessee.  I thought Mettenberger was good enough last year to warrant early season starter consideration, but I suppose there is something to be said for dispensing with pretense and not delaying the inevitable.

Now they indicate they don't want to overwhelm him in camp.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...a-in-camp/

How basic is that offense going to be this year?

They're going to regret not trading back and getting decent value for that pick in a few of years when Mariota is on the waiver wire.
Quote:They're going to regret not trading back and getting decent value for that pick in a few of years when Mariota is on the waiver wire.
I sincerely hope you are right.

But thus far, the returns are positive.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...tans-camp/
Quote:I sincerely hope you are right.

But thus far, the returns are positive.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...tans-camp/

Considering what's come out about their scheme for him this year I don't expect him to throw tons of INTs because I expect they'll dumb it down for him. It's more likely he'll seem successful early on from a statistical standpoint with lots of checkdowns and read option type plays before teams start locking down what he already does well. When the coach is dumbing the scheme down for a guy that's not a great sign to me. It means the coach already knows the guy is limited.
Quote:Considering what's come out about their scheme for him this year I don't expect him to throw tons of INTs because I expect they'll dumb it down for him. It's more likely he'll seem successful early on from a statistical standpoint with lots of checkdowns and read option type plays before teams start locking down what he already does well. When the coach is dumbing the scheme down for a guy that's not a great sign to me. It means the coach already knows the guy is limited.

You don't need a complicated scheme to be successful. If all they do is run 5 plays all season, but those 5 plays are effective and get them TDs, then it works.
So I tried to come into this story about how Mariota is impressing in camp with an open mind.  But I'm just reading this and not seeing much real enthusiasm, just oooohhhh he threw 7 of 15 and no picks.   Then I scroll down and see Pete Prisco trolling the entire thing from twitter.   Classic.

Quote:So I tried to come into this story about how Mariota is impressing in camp with an open mind.  But I'm just reading this and not seeing much real enthusiasm, just oooohhhh he threw 7 of 15 and no picks.   Then I scroll down and see Pete Prisco trolling the entire thing from twitter.   Classic.

The nature of being a fan is to focus on the positives about the team you follow. Kuharsky is definitely a titans homer just like Prisco is a Jaguars homer. We'll get our chances to see Mariota, and like I said, I expect he'll do a good job statistically at the start, but if he's ever going to actually be good enough to merit his draft position it's going to take years of continual development. We'll see if both he and the titans have what it takes to do it.
Pages: 1 2