Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: As you get older, does your inner self change?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
For instance, I'm 29, I still feel exactly the same inside as I did in high school. Sure I'm a little wiser, more mature, I know how to manage my money, and I try to eat healthy. But inside I still feel like the same kid.

Playing Xbox for hours(when I can), staring at tall buildings when I go downtown, getting a window seat to watch the plane take off. I look at my dad who's in his early 50s and when we go out he still likes to party and have fun.

Now I'm not saying 50 is old, but it seems like a lifetime away for me. I'm just curious who, as they aged, still feels like they always have? Albeit with maybe a few more cracks and pops in the morning lol
The more bills I accumulate, the older I feel because that's longer I have to work to pay those bills..

Just like your pop, I'm pretty sure my mid-life crisis will hit in my 50's too, and that's only like a short 8 years away (and I just get that feeling that my crisis is gonna be pretty expensive and possibly dangerous haha) which in turn is gonna make me work even longer and feel even older if I even live through it..

So does my inner self change?

I think it does.. But I'm already on a regiment of baby aspirin and centrum silver so I can live longer and do fun dangerous [BLEEP] when I get a bit older.
What getting older has taught me is that in my youth I spent much too much time concentrating on the cleavage in the shirt and neglected to see the crazy in the eyes....

Quote:What getting older has taught me is that in my youth I spent much too much time concentrating on the cleavage in the shirt and neglected to see the crazy in the eyes....

[Image: 67038519.jpg]
At 15 years old, I was interested in drinking beer or bourbon and playing guitar. 30 years later I'm all about drinking beer or bourbon and playing guitar. So, not much has changed, except the beer, bourbon and guitars are better.
Old is just a frame of mind.

Wait...what were we talking about?
I'll be 29 years old next month. The only thing that's changed for me is responsibility. Having a home and wife to take care of, etc. I try to eat healthier as well. Which I fail miserably at. But I still enjoy gaming, fishing and weight lifting like I always have. But as far as overall changes from an "inner self" perspective I think the biggest is just understanding how important time is. 

I go out of my way to spend time with my father when he's not working. Try to go fishing with him at least three to five times a month. He'll be 51 this year but he hasn't changed much at all since I was a kid. Just complains about his aches and pains and my mom sometimes. But he's still a big kid at heart that likes to bull [BLEEP] and talk politics and sports while putting his own funny spin on it. 

But, for me. Time is of the essence man. I don't give my time to people who are known to waste it. And I have learned to be more patient with those I love and declare they love me back. 

I'm quickly approaching 49...what was the question again?

Quote:I'm quickly approaching 49...what was the question again?

Young punks.
The older you get, the harder it is to get up and go to work in the mornings...I'm looking forward to retirement.

Quote:Old is just a frame of mind.

Wait...what were we talking about?

The importance of striking in the 9th to set up the 10th.
Quote:The importance of striking in the 9th to set up the 10th.

Oh...beer.
I just find some urgency to accomplish my goals. I want my doctorate but its a 5 year task and I only have about 25 left, so I gotta push harder. I also have less patience for other people's bull than I used to. When I worked in the ministry I felt a need to lead, guide and coach other people to be better. The hardest but best, most freeing lesson of my life is that I have no control to force their decisions and therefore no responsibility for their choices.
I think the main thing with me is I am starting to appreciate and notice smaller things.  I love going on my walks in the morning and checking out the moon and stars.  Walking over the Julington Creek Bridge is a gorgeous scene every morning at 5:30, as is the sunset from the same bridge every evening.  I've looked at my pictures of San Francisco and Yosemite 100 times since I went in April.  It makes me want to go see more of the United States.  Driving up the mountain pass on I77 between North Carolina and Virginia is just an awesome sight on a clear day (and really scary when it's foggy).  Little things like that.

29 years old is just 19 years old with taxes.
I'm 38, mentally feel like I'm 17. 

Physically, not so much.

You just make time for what you deem is important at different stages of life. However, the cars and weed have improved.

I still feel like I'm 21...... in my mind. I look at the world much differently than I did back then, but I still like looking at girls in their 20's (I'm a dirty old man), I still listen to metal music and old people still annoy me. With that said, physically, I feel like I'm 80. I get out of bed and reality hits. My hair is falling out on my head and growing in places it shouldn't, my vision or hearing isn't that great and everything hurts. Life can be cruel.

I tend to think I'll feel the same inside forever.

Outside of new responsibilities, kids, more demanding career, I can't imagine not liking my craft beer, football, and video games as I get older. Working out will probably dwindle with age but who knows, Ric Flair still deads over 400. Granted he's more juiced than a Tropical Smoothie
The biggest change for me as I crossed into my thirties (and beyond) was my work ethic. I started taking my career more seriously. I wanted to make a name for myself. Success became important to me. This was the biggest change as far as my inner self. Oh. You also can smell [BLEEP] a lot quicker than when you're a kid as well. 

Quote:The biggest change for me as I crossed into my thirties (and beyond) was my work ethic. I started taking my career more seriously. I wanted to make a name for myself. Success became important to me. This was the biggest change as far as my inner self. Oh. You also can smell [BAD WORD REMOVED] a lot quicker than when you're a kid as well.

I'm hitting that stage hard right now.
Pages: 1 2 3