Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Robert Mathis
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What is your opinion on Mathis' return? I thought I heard ESPN saying he should be back to normal (though I was in a restaurant and might have misheard.)

Even though he has been a tremendous talent over the last decade I seriously question his ability, at his age and due to his specific injury (achilles for those who don't know), to return at a level even close to his former self.

Of course I could be wrong. Would love to hear from everyone, especially Colts, Texans and Titans fans.
I would not put money on a 34 year old pass rusher coming back from a torn Achilles. Irsay already said that Mathis won't be ready for the start of camp. That cannot be a good sign.

Quote:I would not put money on a 34 year old pass rusher coming back from a torn Achilles. Irsay already said that Mathis won't be ready for the start of camp. That cannot be a good sign.

I hadn't heard that Mathis won't be ready for camp. You are right, that not a good sign.
Depends if he is back on steroids or not
The Colts will not rush Mathis back. Their 5th round pick last year, Jonathan Newsome, led all rookies in sacks (6 sacks) and is showing play making abilities. With the addition of Trent Cole, they can allow Mathis to ease back into things.

They are thinking about making a run deep into the playoffs. I am sure they want Mathis to be ready for the season, but not at the risk of another injury, especially with the thought that it will be a prolonged season.

I have my reservations that he will be the same player, (19 sacks), however, the Colts do not need him to produce at the same level. The defense as a whole has slowly improved over the past few years. If he can continue to cause offenses to respect his abilities, and possibly draw double teams, he will have a huge impact.

Quote:Depends if he is back on steroids or not

Cha Ching ..... that is absolutely correct !!
They are all on PEDS
Colts now saying he won't play until late September or early October.
Quote:The Colts will not rush Mathis back. Their 5th round pick last year, Jonathan Newsome, led all rookies in sacks (6 sacks) and is showing play making abilities. With the addition of Trent Cole, they can allow Mathis to ease back into things.

They are thinking about making a run deep into the playoffs. I am sure they want Mathis to be ready for the season, but not at the risk of another injury, especially with the thought that it will be a prolonged season.

I have my reservations that he will be the same player, (19 sacks), however, the Colts do not need him to produce at the same level. The defense as a whole has slowly improved over the past few years. If he can continue to cause offenses to respect his abilities, and possibly draw double teams, he will have a huge impact.

It has?
Quote:It has?

Statistically I think it has but they also played in the worst division in football last year. Their defense was eaten up by teams like Dallas, Philadelphia, New England and Pittsburgh.
Quote:It has?

Quote:Statistically I think it has but they also played in the worst division in football last year. Their defense was eaten up by teams like Dallas, Philadelphia, New England and Pittsburgh.
Yup, it has improved. It was ranked #11 in Total Yards Per Game allowed in 2014 (just 1 way of measuring). Overall, I agree that the defense isn't good and that the Colts get to play against the Texans, Titans, and Jaguars offenses 2 time each, inflating their stats. However, this has been the case over the past 3 years as well, (playing against AFC South teams) and the defense has steadily improved. With this year's addition on defense, I expect them to keep improving.
Quote:What is your opinion on Mathis' return? I thought I heard ESPN saying he should be back to normal (though I was in a restaurant and might have misheard.)

Even though he has been a tremendous talent over the last decade I seriously question his ability, at his age and due to his specific injury (achilles for those who don't know), to return at a level even close to his former self.

Of course I could be wrong. Would love to hear from everyone, especially Colts, Texans and Titans fans.
I am with you on his probability of returning as an effective pass rusher for the reasons you delineate above.

He is at an age (34) where skills begin to rapidly decline even absent any major injury.  On top of that, he suffered an achilles injury which seems to sap a player's burst even moreso than a torn ACL.  In fact from a fan's perspective, if I had to choose between one of my players getting a torn ACL and a torn achilles, I would choose the ACL every time.  I've seen plenty of players-great players-return to prominence after suffering that injury.  I've not seen too many guys bounce back from a torn Achilles to their former level.
The clots are going to suck this year.

Also, what's up with all the clot trolls in this thread? It's like flies on [BLEEP].
Quote:The clots are going to suck this year.

Also, what's up with all the clot trolls in this thread? It's like flies on [BAD WORD REMOVED].

More whistling past the graveyard. Happens every year.

Also, what's up with all the clot trolls in this thread? It's like flies on [BAD WORD REMOVED].
1.  As long as Luck is upright, they won't suck.

2.  In fairness, the OP invited input from Colts, Texans and Titans fans.

.... they pretty much have 6 automatic wins just facing divisional opponents.