Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Political Correctness
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It's coming up in just about every discussion, so it probably deserves a topic of its own. 

Liberals love political correctness.  They wield it like a rainbow bedazzled Medieval sword any chance they get. 

It gets more and more ridiculous by the day.

People scoffed when I mentioned in another thread that once the battle over the Confederate flag was done, that it would start to move toward monuments and graves.  We've now seen that happening.  Some have even gone so far as to suggest taking down the Jefferson Memorial (slave owner), and renaming the Washington Monument AND Washington DC because our first president owned slaves.

Now we've got historians saying the fleur de lis, the symbol that is almost everywhere in New Orleans, and is the logo for the Saints, is offensive and should be removed because of it's association with slavery.

This nation has become progressively more divided, and it's only getting worse as special interest groups continue to look for their grand cause to take a stand for, like taking down the fleur de lis.   There is no end to the way leftists will find things offensive and demand their moment in front of cameras to initiate their protest and put the call out to the masses.  And in every case, there are lemmings who will (using this term lightly) think that's a great cause to get behind.

I saw a meme that was put out by the Occupy Wall Street crowd (rebranded Occupy Democrats).  It talked about all of the accomplishments of this president, and one of the items that I really had to laugh about was the fact that Wall Street has nearly tripled in value under Obama.  The same people who protested the wealth and greed and those evil 1% are now being touted for the success they've enjoyed under their imperial ruler.  It would be comical if it wasn't so pathetic. 

So, beat me up, PC crowd.  Take your best shot. 

Quote:It's coming up in just about every discussion, so it probably deserves a topic of its own. 

Liberals love political correctness.  They wield it like a rainbow bedazzled Medieval sword any chance they get. 

People scoffed when I mentioned in another thread that once the battle over the Confederate flag was done, that it would start to move toward monuments and graves.  We've now seen that happening.  Some have even gone so far as to suggest taking down the Jefferson Memorial (slave owner), and renaming the Washington Monument AND Washington DC because our first president owned slaves.

Now we've got historians saying the fleur de lis, the symbol that is almost everywhere in New Orleans, and is the logo for the Saints, is offensive and should be removed because of it's association with slavery.

This nation has become progressively more divided, and it's only getting worse as special interest groups continue to look for their grand cause to take a stand for, like taking down the fleur de lis.   There is no end to the way leftists will find things offensive and demand their moment in front of cameras to initiate their protest and put the call out to the masses.  And in every case, there are lemmings who will (using this term lightly) think that's a great cause to get behind.

I saw a meme that was put out by the Occupy Wall Street crowd (rebranded Occupy Democrats).  It talked about all of the accomplishments of this president, and one of the items that I really had to laugh about was the fact that Wall Street has nearly tripled in value under Obama.  The same people who protested the wealth and greed and those evil 1% are now being touted for the success they've enjoyed under their imperial ruler.  It would be comical if it wasn't so pathetic. 

I fear it's only going to get worse...There is no way to please everyone but no one is going to give an inch in how they feel the world should be...The entire world wants everything their way and only their way, and no one will concede anything that doesn't line up with their agenda
An example of Political correctness gone wrong.

I actually don't think it's gotten much worse than when I had graduated college in the 90s.  I do think that some folks have developed a cottage industry out of flaunting the race or gender card to advance themselves, and that's unfortunate.

I like the PC people.. If i didn't have someone to annoy, my life wouldn't have meaning..
This says it all

[Image: Southern_zpsyfarzlkc.jpg]

Quote:This says it all

I'm white, straight, a Libertarian, a gun owner and live in NC so I guess I'm screwed.
It's times like these that I'm grateful I'm politically neutral
Quote:This says it all

Yes, it's time someone stood up for the poor, oppressed straight white people.
Quote:Yes, it's time someone stood up for the poor, oppressed straight white people.

I marvel at how the people in charge love to feel sorry for themselves. Self pity is so attractive. Those gated-community types have had a rough couple of weeks. I'm sure they are sobbing into their gin and tonics.
This isn't a debate thread. It's a shooting gallery waiting for targets.
Quote:It's coming up in just about every discussion, so it probably deserves a topic of its own. 

You tend to stereotype "liberals."   I think you must listen to Rush Limbaugh all day, because that's what he does for a living: find the dumbest thing one liberal said or did the day before, and tar all liberals with it.  

I think you need to realize, that there is no standard set  of beliefs or behaviors that apply to "liberals" or "conservatives."   In fact, if you read this message board, you can see quite clearly that no two people think alike.   Liberals are all over the map on these issues, just like conservatives are.   The world isn't divided into liberals and conservatives.   It's a spectrum.  

By the way, did you actually read the article you reference?  

"Knowing the symbol has that dark history, should it be compared to the likes of the confederate flag?

Fitzmorris said no.

"The fleur de lis was the symbol of a monarchy. The United States of America was a slave-holding republic, not just the south. Where do you stop? Do you get rid of all symbols?

Seck agrees, saying that the symbol has been embraced by the city as one of unity."

I can't find anyone in that article that says the fleur-de-lis should be removed. 

One thing about "Political Correctness" that is really a mystery to me.  You would think that a college campus would be a place for free speech and open ideas.  So why is it that so many college campuses have so-called "free speech zones"?  Why is it that conservative and/or religious groups are often attacked on college campuses?  Here is just one example of that.

Just think.  These kids are your future.

Quote:One thing about "Political Correctness" that is really a mystery to me. You would think that a college campus would be a place for free speech and open ideas. So why is it that so many college campuses have so-called "free speech zones"? Why is it that conservative and/or religious groups are often attacked on college campuses? <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/21540/'>Here is just one example</a> of that.

Just think. These kids are your future.

Just another in the long list of examples of what happens when Leftists gain control.
Another issue of PC gone wrong. No one is willing to really challenge this for fear of retribution so this man is allowed to beat up women because he identifies as female and had a sex change.

story.....

<p style="font-size:15px;font-family:'Liberation Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(68,68,68);">"Of course it’s unfair for someone who was born a man and went through puberty as a man to compete against women. The fact that this is even a discussion shows how afraid our society has become of being politically incorrect.

<p style="font-size:15px;font-family:'Liberation Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(68,68,68);">This isn’t any different than if David and I, who played Division I basketball, woke up tomorrow and said we identified as female and went and dominated the WNBA. Only in the sport of MMA, people are much more likely to get seriously hurt than basketball, so this is even worse."

<p style="font-size:15px;font-family:'Liberation Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(68,68,68);">"TMZ notes that Fox has won her last two fights, and her last opponent was beaten so badly that she reportedly suffered a concussion, a broken orbital bone, and required staples in her head."

Quote:Another issue of PC gone wrong. No one is willing to really challenge this for fear of retribution so this man is allowed to beat up women because he identifies as female and had a sex change.

story.....

<p style="font-size:15px;font-family:'Liberation Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(68,68,68);">"Of course it’s unfair for someone who was born a man and went through puberty as a man to compete against women. The fact that this is even a discussion shows how afraid our society has become of being politically incorrect.

<p style="font-size:15px;font-family:'Liberation Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(68,68,68);">This isn’t any different than if David and I, who played Division I basketball, woke up tomorrow and said we identified as female and went and dominated the WNBA. Only in the sport of MMA, people are much more likely to get seriously hurt than basketball, so this is even worse."

<p style="font-size:15px;font-family:'Liberation Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(68,68,68);">"TMZ notes that Fox has won her last two fights, and her last opponent was beaten so badly that she reportedly suffered a concussion, a broken orbital bone, and required staples in her head."
Another messy legal issue that should be addressed is whether or not a transgender person can get away with a crime. Especially if that crime happened prior to identifying as a different sex. Say for instance that "Bill" kills another guy and he ends up getting a sex change and identifies as a woman now. So, even if there's plenty of evidence proving that she committed the murder prior to the sex change, she can make the argument that somebody else committed the murder in a legal context, and she can quite literally, get away with murder.

Quote:Another messy legal issue that should be addressed is whether or not a transgender person can get away with a crime. Especially if that crime happened prior to identifying as a different sex. Say for instance that "Bill" kills another guy and he ends up getting a sex change and identifies as a woman now. So, even if there's plenty of evidence proving that she committed the murder prior to the sex change, she can make the argument that somebody else committed the murder in a legal context, and she can quite literally, get away with murder.

No, I don't suppose your example would be a legitimate problem. However, a woman can't legally rape someone. I believe that would create a more likely scenario. 
Quote:Another issue of PC gone wrong. No one is willing to really challenge this for fear of retribution so this man is allowed to beat up women because he identifies as female and had a sex change.

story.....

Since I think prize fighting, in any of its various forms, is inherently stupid, I find getting angry about this a difficult achievement.
Quote:Another messy legal issue that should be addressed is whether or not a transgender person can get away with a crime. Especially if that crime happened prior to identifying as a different sex. Say for instance that "Bill" kills another guy and he ends up getting a sex change and identifies as a woman now. So, even if there's plenty of evidence proving that she committed the murder prior to the sex change, she can make the argument that somebody else committed the murder in a legal context, and she can quite literally, get away with murder.

You have a very elementary notion of what it means to be transgendered.
Quote:Since I think prize fighting, in any of its various forms, is inherently stupid, I find getting angry about this a difficult achievement.

I'm not angry about it. Just providing another example of how PC can get out of hand and, in this case, possibly endanger the lives of women who are not physically capable of defending themselves against a man. All because people don't want to offend or be labeled as a bully or some such nonsense.
Here is another example of someone hoping to silence or shut down freedom of expression because he was "so offended" that he "was shaking and almost vomiting".  The cause of his "offense"?  Someone at a flea market selling confederate and nazi memorabilia.

What should be more disturbing is what the Mayor of the town had to say.

“I had to check with the chief over what is actionable and what isn’t,” according to the mayor. “Unless something violates state or federal law, there’s no jurisdiction for government to do anything. We had to ask, is it something controlled by law?”

Remember, some people voted this guy into office.  To answer his question, yes it is "something controlled by law".  It's called the Bill of Rights, aka the First Amendment.

Pages: 1 2