Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jeb Bush says that, "People need to work more hours."
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/jeb-bush-...d=32313997

I'm typically not one to defend Jeb Bush, but he's taking some unfair flak on this one. If you take his statement in context with the rest of what he's saying, it's clear that he's taking a thinly-veiled shot at Obamacare's 30-hour work week provision--one of the parts of the ACA that I strongly disagree with, as it has certainly (in my experience) resulted in employers cutting the hours of nonessential employees to keep them below the benefits level. Obama's administration should have seen that coming, as it's cheaper to just hire a couple extra part-timers to fill in the hours than it is to pay benefits to someone who works four days a week. If you apply Jeb's comments to the typical American salaried worker, who works 47 hours a week (I clock in closer to 55-60, most of those hours at night), they're patently ridiculous, but I really don't think his intent was to suggest that salaried workers need to work longer hours.

Quote:http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/jeb-bush-...d=32313997

I'm typically not one to defend Jeb Bush, but he's taking some unfair flak on this one. If you take his statement in context with the rest of what he's saying, it's clear that he's taking a thinly-veiled shot at Obamacare's 30-hour work week provision--one of the parts of the ACA that I strongly disagree with, as it has certainly (in my experience) resulted in employers cutting the hours of nonessential employees to keep them below the benefits level. Obama's administration should have seen that coming, as it's cheaper to just hire a couple extra part-timers to fill in the hours than it is to pay benefits to someone who works four days a week. If you apply Jeb's comments to the typical American salaried worker, who works 47 hours a week (I clock in closer to 55-60, most of those hours at night), they're patently ridiculous, but I really don't think his intent was to suggest that salaried workers need to work longer hours.
Agree, I read about it this morning and seems to be people taking a single string of words and not applying the overall context. I do think Americans work a lot more than the rest of the industrial world. Weather that is good or bad is debatable but not the point he was making. 
If anything, I need to work less hours..
Quote:Agree, I read about it this morning and seems to be people taking a single string of words and not applying the overall context. I do think Americans work a lot more than the rest of the industrial world. Weather that is good or bad is debatable but not the point he was making.

We do?

No sarcasm, I'm really asking.
Quote:We do?

No sarcasm, I'm really asking.
For the most part, yes, but not by as much as some think. Salaried Americans work roughly 47 hours a week. By comparison, Europeans work 40-42 hours a week. Asian countries tend to work more, Australia a little less. The common thread everywhere is that younger workers tend to work longer hours than their "tenured", mid-level colleagues do.
Quote:Agree, I read about it this morning and seems to be people taking a single string of words and not applying the overall context. I do think Americans work a lot more than the rest of the industrial world. Weather that is good or bad is debatable but not the point he was making. 

I'm in shock.  We actually agree about something.   :woot:  Wink

Just do a simple google search and see what the left-wing blogs are writing regarding this.  What is even more interesting is to look at the main talking points in said blogs, then see how those talking points end up making their way into the news.
Quote:I'm in shock.  We actually agree about something.   :woot:  Wink
If you spend 41 seconds of your life watching the video where Bush makes the remark, it's pretty hard not to agree that the left-wing media is being ridiculous about this.
Quote:For the most part, yes, but not by as much as some think. Salaried Americans work roughly 47 hours a week. By comparison, Europeans work 40-42 hours a week. Asian countries tend to work more, Australia a little less. The common thread everywhere is that younger workers tend to work longer hours than their "tenured", mid-level colleagues do.

Interesting, I never knew, thanks for the info.

Of course, I wonder of those 47 hours, how many are spent actually working...

I'd venture we start to fall off a bit there.
Quote:If you spend 41 seconds of your life watching the video where Bush makes the remark, it's pretty hard not to agree that the left-wing media is being ridiculous about this.

Oh I agree totally.  It's not just the "left-wing" media, it's media in general.

Another tactic that is used commonly is to attack a person's character and attempt to de-legitimatize them if they don't agree with them.  Rather than debate the issue, they attack the person.  It won't be long before some blog starts some story about how Jeb Bush "forces" his staff to work "unbelievable hours" and "doesn't pay them well".  Once one blogger writes a story like that, other bloggers "on cue" parrot the same thing.  Soon the media picks up on it and it becomes a "story".
Quote:Another tactic that is used commonly is to attack a person's character and attempt to de-legitimatize them if they don't agree with them.  Rather than debate the issue, they attack the person.  It won't be long before some blog starts some story about how Jeb Bush "forces" his staff to work "unbelievable hours" and "doesn't pay them well".  Once one blogger writes a story like that, other bloggers "on cue" parrot the same thing.  Soon the media picks up on it and it becomes a "story".
While conveniently not mentioning that every serious candidate (and some not so serious ones) "force" their staffers to work the same hours. I mean, everyone knows that winning the White House is totally a 9-5 M-F job, right?
Quote:I'm in shock.  We actually agree about something.   :woot:  Wink

Just do a simple google search and see what the left-wing blogs are writing regarding this.  What is even more interesting is to look at the main talking points in said blogs, then see how those talking points end up making their way into the news.
Despite how some people like to categorize all liberals, I do not just blindly follow everything the media says without thinking about it. You can spot hypocrisy and misquotation/lack of context. All it takes is read/watch of the source to see what's really going on. 
Quote:Interesting, I never knew, thanks for the info.

Of course, I wonder of those 47 hours, how many are spent actually working...

I'd venture we start to fall off a bit there.

I can only speak as far as my personal experience.  I've worked in a couple of positions that were salaried positions.  There were many times that I worked 60+ hours, but part of that included 1-1/2 to 2 hour lunch breaks for example when we were entertaining clients.  Other times it might include working in the evenings or on the weekends at home writing software or documentation.

However, the offset of that was having the luxury of being able to take time off (paid) to do other things such as go to a doctor appointment or get my vehicle serviced.  There was also other times when work "slowed down" so me and my colleagues would go out and play a round of golf in the afternoon (paid).

I would guess on average out of 60 hours in a week, maybe 47-50 of those hours were spent on actual work.
Quote:Despite how some people like to categorize all liberals, I do not just blindly follow everything the media says without thinking about it. You can spot hypocrisy and misquotation/lack of context. All it takes is read/watch of the source to see what's really going on. 

Let me ask you a couple of questions, and please give your honest answer.

1.  Is FOX News a legitimate news organization?  If not, then why do you believe that?

2.  What percentage of employees of FOX News would you say are on the right, and what percentage are on the left?

3.  Bonus question.  Name at least two prominent employees of FOX News that actually like Obama.
Quote:Let me ask you a couple of questions, and please give your honest answer.

1.  Is FOX News a legitimate news organization?  If not, then why do you believe that?

2.  What percentage of employees of FOX News would you say are on the right, and what percentage are on the left?

3.  Bonus question.  Name at least two prominent employees of FOX News that actually like Obama.
1. It's news segments are legitimate news I'm sure. Opinion/Entertainment not so much. The perceived problem with FOX is the blurring of the lines between the three towards the target audience. I think all the major news networks are guilty of this to some extent as television news seems to have moved to entertainment/editorial over actual news.

2. I do not watch any of the TV news networks so I do not know. If I had to guess I would I would say 70% right / 10% left / 20% fake left. This could be due to the perception, I'll admit.

3. Again I don't watch much television let alone television news and don't know really any actual journalists by name. Like is O'reilley/Maddow types journalists? I don't think so. I'm also just bad with names and in fairness I'm not going to google to answer these. 

Quote:1. It's news segments are legitimate news I'm sure. Opinion/Entertainment not so much. The perceived problem with FOX is the blurring of the lines between the three towards the target audience. I think all the major news networks are guilty of this to some extent as television news seems to have moved to entertainment/editorial over actual news.

2. I do not watch any of the TV news networks so I do not know. If I had to guess I would I would say 70% right / 10% left / 20% fake left. This could be due to the perception, I'll admit.

3. Again I don't watch much television let alone television news and don't know really any actual journalists by name. Like is O'reilley/Maddow types journalists? I don't think so. I'm also just bad with names and in fairness I'm not going to google to answer these. 

1.  It is a legitimate news source and was actually "backed up" by the other news organizations when the White House tried to exclude them from certain press conferences.  Serious journalists will "protect their own" when it comes down to access and treatment by the government.

2.  IIRC from a couple of the books that I have read, it's more like 47% right leaning, 40% left leaning and the remainder being self-identified as Independents.  Most "die-hard" journalists, and the good ones check their political leanings at the door when it comes to doing their job.  This is not only at FOX, but other media outlets as well.  Walter Cronkite didn't reveal his political ideology until well after he retired.  Going back over the history, you never would have guessed it.

3.  Most people know who Shepard Smith and Greta Van Susteren are.  It was revealed that they both really like Barack Obama.
Quote:1.  It is a legitimate news source and was actually "backed up" by the other news organizations when the White House tried to exclude them from certain press conferences.  Serious journalists will "protect their own" when it comes down to access and treatment by the government.

2.  IIRC from a couple of the books that I have read, it's more like 47% right leaning, 40% left leaning and the remainder being self-identified as Independents.  Most "die-hard" journalists, and the good ones check their political leanings at the door when it comes to doing their job.  This is not only at FOX, but other media outlets as well.  Walter Cronkite didn't reveal his political ideology until well after he retired.  Going back over the history, you never would have guessed it.

3.  Most people know who Shepard Smith and Greta Van Susteren are.  It was revealed that they both really like Barack Obama.
1. Stop agreeing with me. It's bad for business 

2. I am sure the actual news segments are split more evenly then the loudmouths portray.

3. I do recognize Shep Smith now that you've said the name. Conservatives should love Obama he's been great for business I think due to the polarizing nature. I am sure that isn't what you meant though. 
Uh I can't remember the last job I worked less than 50 hours a week?
Quote:Uh I can't remember the last job I worked less than 50 hours a week?
Last firm I was at in both Gainesville and after xfering to Portland via 1.5 years in the wasteland of Phoenix, I was working easily 50 hour week. Last couple of years were more around 40-45 hours. Left after about 10 years and am back up to 55-60 hours weeks.