Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 4th of July product boycott
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Permit me a rant.

I know most of our products we buy are an import. But it really got under my skin this weekend when I was checking out some July 4th products. One in particular. It said something like..Never forget those who sacrificed and kept this country free....with all the red, white and blue trimmings.

Turn it over for price check...see Made in China. That's a disgrace to those written words, which by the way, mean absolutely zippo to those making it. I will not display any patriotic items this year, since I won't buy any. Just a flag, made in Milwaukee.

At least a bill has been passed that all flags be made here, and that was after public outcry. But it's not enough.

It can be done again. Don't buy this junk.

Thanks for the ear.
I'm not sure if I could take that action myself, given how globalized commerce is these days (just getting the flag law passed was nothing short of a miracle), but I understand the sentiment completely and support you in it.

You poor thing. Here, have a steak:

[Image: psSmc.jpg]

Good luck with that.

Quote:Permit me a rant.

I know most of our products we buy are an import. But it really got under my skin this weekend when I was checking out some July 4th products. One in particular. It said something like..Never forget those who sacrificed and kept this country free....with all the red, white and blue trimmings.

Turn it over for price check...see Made in China. That's a disgrace to those written words, which by the way, mean absolutely zippo to those making it. I will not display any patriotic items this year, since I won't buy any. Just a flag, made in Milwaukee.

At least a bill has been passed that all flags be made here, and that was after public outcry. But it's not enough.

Thanks for the ear.

You know, I appreciate your sentiment and understand your frustration.  However, look around your home and realize, many of the products and things that you own are not "made in America".  It might be little things like perhaps the sheets on your bed, or bigger things like the television that you watch.  Look at your smartphone.  Do you think that it was "made in America"?  The short answer is no it wasn't.

This is the 21'st century and a global economy is a very real thing.  Things that we as a consumer nation spend our money on are not produced in our own country.
Quote:This is the 21'st century and a global economy is a very real thing.  Things that we as a consumer nation spend our money on are not produced in our own country.
Yeah, but to Ringo's point, there's a difference between buying a computer monitor made in Japan or a salt shaker made in Taiwan and buying a patriotic wall plaque, complete with the flag on it, that was made in China. Not saying that I necessarily agree with him, and I certainly don't think it'll be an easy boycott to carry out unless he's content with not having any Fourth of July decorations around, but I can understand why someone would feel that way. As far as "patriotic" memorabilia is concerned, wanting products that "honor" America to be made in America is a valid sentiment.

Quote:Permit me a rant.

Thanks for the ear.

Do you think the store in which you were browsing is selling these items because of the owner's patriotism?
Meh it's the words, flag, or picture that counts, I don't see the big deal, but then again I've never bought any patriotic memorabilia. 

We never really buy much in the way of flags or anything anyway.  Usually just a few things for the kids like Sparklers and Smoke Balls.  We also have a niece who's birthday is on the 4th.  Don't think I'd want to buy an American Flag made in China.  The only decorations we really put up are handmade Wind Spinners (I think that's what they're called) that are red white and blue.  

Quote:Yeah, but to Ringo's point, there's a difference between buying a computer monitor made in Japan or a salt shaker made in Taiwan and buying a patriotic wall plaque, complete with the flag on it, that was made in China. Not saying that I necessarily agree with him, and I certainly don't think it'll be an easy boycott to carry out unless he's content with not having any Fourth of July decorations around, but I can understand why someone would feel that way. As far as "patriotic" memorabilia is concerned, wanting products that "honor" America to be made in America is a valid sentiment.
That simple. Seemed to go over some heads. Like..well..you know their all in it for profit, or..a lot of other stuff is imported too.

No [BAD WORD REMOVED]

It's the hypocrisy and the I don't care cuz its a good deal shopper that don't pay it no mind. Oh well. What can you do mentality.

Welp, start by not buying them. But be my guest...proudly fly the flag, put up the banners...knowing that who made them don't give a rats [BLEEP] on what it represents.

Murica
Quote:Do you think the store in which you were browsing is selling these items because of the owner's patriotism?
You mean the stores not owned by us anyway? Or is this some insight that profit trumps patriotism. Geeez. That's news.

But I digress. Just read a letter in Florida Times Union online where a few others feel the same.

I'm good
Quote:You poor thing. Here, have a steak:

But the steak looks good, the white marbling reminds of the flag you flew at one time

I wanted to return the favor with a nice food pictorial as you did. I'm still looking for a nice big German bratwurst for you.
Quote:You poor thing. Here, have a steak:

maybe the most American picture I've ever seen
I'll join you.
Well said Ringo!

I for one haven't eaten at a Burger King since they moved their headquarters to Canada in order to avoid taxes.  And I love Whoppers.

But I love 'murica more.

Quote:Well said Ringo!

I for one haven't eaten at a Burger King since they moved their headquarters to Canada in order to avoid taxes.  And I love Whoppers.

But I love 'murica more.
Then you're not going to like Starbucks, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, Google, IBM, or Yahoo either. 
Quote:That simple. Seemed to go over some heads. Like..well..you know their all in it for profit, or..a lot of other stuff is imported too.

No [BAD WORD REMOVED]

It's the hypocrisy and the I don't care cuz its a good deal shopper that don't pay it no mind. Oh well. What can you do mentality.

Welp, start by not buying them. But be my guest...proudly fly the flag, put up the banners...knowing that who made them don't give a rats [BLEEP] on what it represents.

Murica

How do you know this for sure? The Chinese worker who made the item may be alive because the U.S.A. liberated his parents and grand-parents from the Japanese, and has gratitude in his or her heart for those who sacrificed lives on their behalf.

Good luck insuring everything you buy to display your love of country was manufactured, distributed and sold by someone who shares your idea of the significance of the item.

Quote:Well said Ringo!

But I love 'murica more.
Great plan.  You're only impacting local franchise owners, their employees, and their distributors, all of whom are more than likely Americans.  You're really sending those dirty Canucks a message.

What do you drive?  I know you liberals love your foreign cars.  So which is it?  Volvo?  Saab?  Toyota?  Smart?  I'm pegging you for a Prius man. 

BTW, Ringo should probably ditch his Harley since up to 60% of the parts on Harley Davidson motorcycles are manufactured outside of the US, some in Canada, Mexico, Japan, and (gasp!) China. 

We shouldn't use that evil Chinese invention "Fireworks" to celebrate either!

Quote:Great plan. You're only impacting local franchise owners, their employees, and their distributors, all of whom are more than likely Americans. You're really sending those dirty Canucks a message.

What do you drive? I know you liberals love your foreign cars. So which is it? Volvo? Saab? Toyota? Smart? I'm pegging you for a Prius man.

BTW, Ringo should probably ditch his Harley since up to 60% of the parts on Harley Davidson motorcycles are manufactured outside of the US, some in Canada, Mexico, Japan, and (gasp!) China.

Lol, typical diatribe. I knew you were going to say all of what I just quoted above.

Attack the poster... classic fbt. Considering how you think all those you hate flip burgers, I'd think you'd be on board for boycotting the place of work where all libs earn our living...

You should come up with some new material, you personal attacks are getting tiresome..
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5