Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bortles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is an interesting read...

http://www.nfl.com/fantasyfootball/story...arterbacks

My first reaction was to scoff at this downbeat view of Bortles chances and laugh at his argument that we've done nothing in the off season to improve our receiving options (Thomas ?!!)

And is Carr really going to have a better season than Bortles ?

But he does have a point... We're not going to see Bortles run as much this season. And while I think we'll see good things from ARob, Thomas and Yeldon, I don't think Bortles is ready (yet) to post big fantasy numbers.
There are lots of questions about Bortles' supporting cast. Will T.J. Yeldon take some of the pressure off of him? Will the line give him more time to pass? Will his receivers take a big step forward in their second season and become reliable playmakers for him? Will Julius Thomas prove to be a great signing or an overhyped product of Peyton Manning's offense?

If the answer to most of those questions (especially the line and Thomas) is yes, then he could be in for a big year. Of course, that's all assuming that Bortles himself shows a great deal of improvement over last season, which is never a sure thing with a quarterback.

ARob was putting up solid possession points last season. I'll wait til we get more info on Yeldon, whether he'll be a featureback or just the head of the committee. JThomas could be a nice steal given how few TEs there are
Personally,  I think Bortles is going to be a fantasy sleeper this year.  Stashing him on the roster is probably a smart move.

If you have 2 QBs on your roster, Bortles wouldn't be on my team. He's still a bit raw. New offense and coaches. OLine has to jell and a rookie RB. Gus wants to establish a run game. In a positive note, the team may be playing from behind, so some inflated stats may come. Beware of points against for INTs.

He should improve, but in FF , being a homer is a recipe for losing.
Bortles will post a few big fantasy games but not a good average. I may not draft a QB then pick up as a bye week guy and hope to get lucky.