Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Gronk Retires

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/rob-g...-patriots/

Guess he got shut down by Ramsey for the last time. Big Grin

Personally I do not think he has a long enough tenure for a HOF TE, but thats the same argument used against Boselli. Gronk was the very best at his position for a while tho. Will be interesting, I think the 'rings' and being associated with the pats will probably get him in tho.

Since he hasn't turned 30 yet, I guess he could come back, but I don't think he will.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Wise move. He's made his money and his mark on football. Time to get out before injuries become chronic.

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2019, 06:30 PM by Eye of the Storm.)

He’s saved every game check he’s earned and has been living off of endorsements since he’s been in the league. Smart with his money and now he’s being smart with his body. Good for him.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

(03-24-2019, 06:30 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote: He’s saved every game check he’s earned and has been living off of endorsements since he’s been in the league. Smart with his money and now he’s being smart with his body. Good for him.

smart move. your team just won the super bowll. go out on top as a champ.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

Best TE of all time.

(03-24-2019, 07:17 PM)Upper Wrote: Best TE of all time.

Tough to argue against this, though Gonzalez certainly has a case.  

Nevertheless, given how many championships Gronk has been part of, he is almost certain to be a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

If he played longer, most definitely. He missed 29 regular season games in 9 years.

He's one of the best without a doubt, but I'd still put Gonzalez over him and you could make an argument for Gates and Witten as well. Longevity absolutely plays a factor imo and it can't be ignored.

Smart for him to call it though. His body is already pretty beat up. It'd only continue to get worse. As said above, hes made his mark in NFL history and made a god awful amount of $$ in the process.

I give it a couple years max before we see him on TV, whether it's acting, WWE, etc.

(03-24-2019, 07:31 PM)Eric1 Wrote:

If he played longer, most definitely. He missed 29 regular season games in 9 years.

He's one of the best without a doubt, but I'd still put Gonzalez over him and you could make an argument for Gates and Witten as well. Longevity absolutely plays a factor imo and it can't be ignored.

Smart for him to call it though. His body is already pretty beat up. It'd only continue to get worse. As said above, hes made his mark in NFL history and made a god awful amount of $$ in the process.

I give it a couple years max before we see him on TV, whether it's acting, WWE, etc.

I dunno if I care as much about longevity for best player arguments. For instance I think Barry Sanders is a better RB than Emmmit Smith

(03-24-2019, 07:43 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(03-24-2019, 07:31 PM)Eric1 Wrote: If he played longer, most definitely. He missed 29 regular season games in 9 years.

I dunno if I care as much about longevity for best player arguments. For instance I think Barry Sanders is a better RB than Emmmit Smith

Sanders' body didn't force him out of the league though, he went out at the top of his game, willingly.

There is an argument now because Gronk won't have the longevity (I don't think there would be if Gronk played a few more years), but there is no other player who is both among the very best receiving and very best blocking TE of all time. Simply all around the best TE.

(03-24-2019, 07:58 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-24-2019, 07:43 PM)JackCity Wrote: I dunno if I care as much about longevity for best player arguments. For instance I think Barry Sanders is a better RB than Emmmit Smith

Sanders' body didn't force him out of the league though, he went out at the top of his game, willingly.

Gronk retiring because of his injuries and because of how lucrative his career outside the NFL will be doesn't make him a worse TE for me. Megatron too

(03-24-2019, 07:21 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

Tough to argue against this, though Gonzalez certainly has a case.  

Nevertheless, given how many championships Gronk has been part of, he is almost certain to be a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Gonzalez is the easy call for best all time.

I get why recency bias would have some include Gronk in the conversation, but sorry, no.

First ballot?  Sure.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(03-24-2019, 09:53 PM)pirkster Wrote:
(03-24-2019, 07:21 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Tough to argue against this, though Gonzalez certainly has a case.  

Gonzalez is the easy call for best all time.

I get why recency bias would have some include Gronk in the conversation, but sorry, no.

First ballot?  Sure.

Statistically, absolutely Gonzalez is best of all time.

But adding in blocking, Gronk closes the gap.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Dude does NOT wanna take another hit like he did from BC in the AFCC again.. good riddance frat boy.

(In all seriousness, he was a great player. Wish him the best ?)

Gronk is an absolute lock for the Hall of Fame. 9 years is more than enough time and there will be no argument that his career wasn’t long enough.
"I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2019, 09:12 AM by Caldrac.)

He's a hall of fame player for sure. He put up great numbers in spite of several injuries and surgeries throughout his career. Playing on two or three superbowl winning rosters also helps his cause. I wouldn't say he's the greatest to ever do it at his position though. He may have elevated it to another level in the receiving game for his era. Just like Antonio Gates did.

But I still think Tony Gonzalez, Shannon Sharpe, Kellen Winslow, Ozzie Newsome and Jason Witten were just as good. Mike Ditka, John Mackey and Dave Casper will always get my respect a little bit more as well for simply introducing the TE position to the NFL as a viable receiving component decades before it became overly emphasized. Especially during a much tougher, grittier era of football where guys could still clean your clock or aim high for your head when you went over the middle.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-25-2019, 09:11 AM)Caldrac Wrote: He's a hall of fame player for sure. He put up great numbers in spite of several injuries and surgeries throughout his career. Playing on two or three superbowl winning rosters also helps his cause. I wouldn't say he's the greatest to ever do it at his position though. He may have elevated it to another level in the receiving game for his era. Just like Antonio Gates did.

But I still think Tony Gonzalez, Shannon Sharpe, Kellen Winslow, Ozzie Newsome and Jason Witten were just as good.  Mike Ditka, John Mackey and Dave Casper will always get my respect a little bit more as well for simply introducing the TE position to the NFL as a viable receiving component decades before it became overly emphasized. Especially during a much tougher, grittier era of football where guys could still clean your clock or aim high for your head when you went over the middle.

This guy gets it.

Those old school TE need to remain in the best ever conversation, if only for remembering that they shaped what we are seeing today as the 'norm' for the position.

(03-25-2019, 09:11 AM)Caldrac Wrote: He's a hall of fame player for sure. He put up great numbers in spite of several injuries and surgeries throughout his career. Playing on two or three superbowl winning rosters also helps his cause. I wouldn't say he's the greatest to ever do it at his position though. He may have elevated it to another level in the receiving game for his era. Just like Antonio Gates did.

But I still think Tony Gonzalez, Shannon Sharpe, Kellen Winslow, Ozzie Newsome and Jason Witten were just as good.  Mike Ditka, John Mackey and Dave Casper will always get my respect a little bit more as well for simply introducing the TE position to the NFL as a viable receiving component decades before it became overly emphasized. Especially during a much tougher, grittier era of football where guys could still clean your clock or aim high for your head when you went over the middle.

I agree with all you said, and you get cookie for it.

Everyone tends to forget Ditka when discussing the great TEs.  The conversation should begin with him.

(03-25-2019, 11:57 AM)anonymous2112 Wrote:

I agree with all you said, and you get cookie for it.

Everyone tends to forget Ditka when discussing the great TEs.  The conversation should begin with him.

...and move on to Casper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv1xygbkYgI

(03-25-2019, 07:02 AM)jaglawyer Wrote: Gronk is an absolute lock for the Hall of Fame.  9 years is more than enough time and there will be no argument that his career wasn’t long enough.

I just hope they break the mold and make his bust a full-body casting of his elbow on Tre' White.