Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Marrone to be fired (Speculation)

Titans beat Chiefs today. With any luck, Jaguars will finish 7-9/6-10 and in last. Marrone will be scapegoated. Coughlin & Caldwell will get more time. You heard it here first.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I hope so.

Who should be his replacement?

We have seven games to play.

If this team manages to lose 4 of those, then I expect changes will be made.  I have absolutely zero clue what those changes might be.

I wouldn't hate it if it were Marrone I guess.  He's a little bit too old school for my taste I guess, but not nearly as much as he is to others.  I was more bothered by the lack of discipline than his old school offensive approach but that stuff has been getting better in most areas.  The final games of this season will be very important for me to evaluate this stuff.

Personally - I think this team can win with Marrone and DeFilippo at the helm offensively even if I'd like to see the run game get a modernized facelift.

If I were to pick one aspect of the staff that's bugging me the most it's gotta be the DC.  I've supported Wash pretty steadfastly since Bradley's departure, but I'm starting to shift my stance.  I just don't see him actively correcting issues frequently enough when elements of his scheme are picked on by opposing offenses. Injuries have been a factor this season, but I'm losing faith in his ability to get the most out of the talent available.

The front office feels much safer to me than most seem to believe. Lots of positive contribution from recent draftees and acquisitions.

(This post was last modified: 11-11-2019, 10:01 AM by SeldomRite.)

(11-11-2019, 09:29 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: We have seven games to play.

If this team manages to lose 4 of those, then I expect changes will be made.  I have absolutely zero clue what those changes might be.

I wouldn't hate it if it were Marrone I guess.  He's a little bit too old school for my taste I guess, but not nearly as much as he is to others.  I was more bothered by the lack of discipline than his old school offensive approach but that stuff has been getting better in most areas.  The final games of this season will be very important for me to evaluate this stuff.

Personally - I think this team can win with Marrone and DeFilippo at the helm offensively even if I'd like to see the run game get a modernized facelift.

If I were to pick one aspect of the staff that's bugging me the most it's gotta be the DC.  I've supported Wash pretty steadfastly since Bradley's departure, but I'm starting to shift my stance.  I just don't see him actively correcting issues frequently enough when elements of his scheme are picked on by opposing offenses. Injuries have been a factor this season, but I'm losing faith in his ability to get the most out of the talent available.

The front office feels much safer to me than most seem to believe. Lots of positive contribution from recent draftees and acquisitions.

I think I've been pretty vocal over the years in my opinion that mediocrity shouldn't be tolerated in a head coach. I'd give any head coach two years to make me think they can make a difference. They don't have to win a ton during that time, but I'd want to see statistically measurable improvement in at least the area they supposedly specialize in if I were an NFL owner.

Every team should be looking for the next Belichick/Harbaugh/Payton/Pederson, not settling for Marrone or Del Rio, and definitely not sticking with a Gus Bradley for multiple years longer than they should.

I know some people say it's players that matter, and I think they do, but clearly coaches matter, too. I don't believe for a second Lamar Jackson would be tearng it up if he were here instead of working with Harbaugh. Bad coaches fail to help talent develope and great coaches figure out ways to make talent thrive.

So to sum it up, I don't see a reason to keep Marrone at all. When he's been in big game situations he's coached scared.

I'll say the same about Caldwell, too, he can get canned. He's shown he can't recognize QB talent to save his life, even if Minshew develops I'd rather take a chance on another regime doing the drafting and developing at this point.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Like the Tampa 2 and Zone Blitz his scheme has passed its prime.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Yeah, as long as the team doesn't lose in embarrassing fashion like we usedta in the Gus years, I see Marrone and Flip coming back. I could easily see Wash being sent packing and letting Capers take the reins. Even if we end up 6-10, I don't see a widespread firing of coaches or front office. That asks a lot of any coaches or GM to come in and ride with the guys that are already here. Foles/Minshew should be getting it done with Flip's offense, we've seen in the past how a constant churn of coordinators and position coaches can leave QBs looking like rookies every year.