Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Go EV? Not me... those things are dangerous just sitting around.....

(06-24-2022, 12:56 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-24-2022, 12:54 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: Mine was a 76 IIRC. I got it with 12,000 miles on the odometer sold it at 200K and from what I understand it went at least another 100K.

A Mercury Bobcat? No way!

Way! I bought it for $1600 and sold it 7 years later for $300. Style wise it was no great shakes but there's something to be said for simplicity, lol.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

[Image: ecar.jpg]
Me sarcastic? No couldn't be. I am much too dim witted to grasp the quaint subtleties of such potent mockery!!!

Add charging to the list of services by AAA and Road Rangers. That ain't gonna come cheap.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(This post was last modified: 07-09-2022, 07:46 AM by surfon. Edited 1 time in total.)

Welp i love my electric car. Started with a chevy volt. Now have a bolt.

Yea i am a test pilot but i pay pennies while gas is well over 4 bucks a gallon. I will take it. If i need to take a road trip we will just use the wifes car.

Yea a few have caught fire charging. I charge in driveway so not really a huge concern and battery recallis being done.

I didnt pay over 15k for either one both used.

Oh and i also keep an old dodge ram around for those times when you just need a truck.

I can see the future more EV especially in suburban and city communities. The problem is there's still a massive population in rural communities. I don't even have access to paved roads, the post office doesn't deliver out here we have use a PO box, there's no public utilities and they think I'm going to have somewhere to charge an EV?

The other problem with EV is they're throw away cars. Once that battery depletes few if anyone is going to replace them it's to expensive. All batteries eventually deplete it's just a question of how slow the degrading process is. If EV is the future your EV will become like your iphone, you'll finance it for 3 years by the time it's almost paid off it's outdated and the battery isn't holding a charge so you'll have to upgrade to the next model.

I see hybrids as a more doable future. We've figured out the hybrid cells as an industry and they can gap the bridge from where we are now to where we want to be in the future. Just need to do a better job with the eco turbos those are still giving most manufactures trouble.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(07-09-2022, 07:44 AM)surfon Wrote: Welp i love my electric car.  Started with a chevy volt.  Now have a bolt.

Yea i am a test pilot but i pay pennies while gas is well over 4 bucks a gallon.  I will take it.  If i need to take a road trip we will just use the wifes car.

Yea a few have caught fire charging.  I charge in driveway so not really a huge concern and battery recallis being done.

Oh and i also keep an old dodge ram around for those times when you just need a truck.

That’s the way to do it. I would love to have an EV because 99% of my driving is well within electric distance. Right now I just don’t want to absorb the cost of keeping both types of vehicles.

(07-09-2022, 01:31 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(07-09-2022, 07:44 AM)surfon Wrote: Welp i love my electric car.  Started with a chevy volt.  Now have a bolt.

Yea i am a test pilot but i pay pennies while gas is well over 4 bucks a gallon.  I will take it.  If i need to take a road trip we will just use the wifes car.

Yea a few have caught fire charging.  I charge in driveway so not really a huge concern and battery recallis being done.

That’s the way to do it. I would love to have an EV because 99% of my driving is well within electric distance. Right now I just don’t want to absorb the cost of keeping both types of vehicles.

I'm really interested in the Equinox EV. Since my next vehicle purchase is likely 3 or 4 years away, should be time to shake the bugs out. They need to improve the charging network and work on the entry price to get past the reluctance lots of people are still experiencing. In 10 years gasoline/diesel only vehicles will be on the way out.

(07-09-2022, 01:24 PM)EricC85 Wrote: I can see the future more EV especially in suburban and city communities. The problem is there's still a massive population in rural communities. I don't even have access to paved roads, the post office doesn't deliver out here we have use a PO box, there's no public utilities and they think I'm going to have somewhere to charge an EV?

The other problem with EV is they're throw away cars. Once that battery depletes few if anyone is going to replace them it's to expensive. All batteries eventually deplete it's just a question of how slow the degrading process is. If EV is the future your EV will become like your iphone, you'll finance it for 3 years by the time it's almost paid off it's outdated and the battery isn't holding a charge so you'll have to upgrade to the next model.

I see hybrids as a more doable future. We've figured out the hybrid cells as an industry and they can gap the bridge from where we are now to where we want to be in the future. Just need to do a better job with the eco turbos those are still giving most manufactures trouble.

Aren't some companies trying to design them to replace battery for a reduced price, and then recycle the battery materials?

(07-10-2022, 01:52 AM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(07-09-2022, 01:24 PM)EricC85 Wrote: I can see the future more EV especially in suburban and city communities. The problem is there's still a massive population in rural communities. I don't even have access to paved roads, the post office doesn't deliver out here we have use a PO box, there's no public utilities and they think I'm going to have somewhere to charge an EV?

Aren't some companies trying to design them to replace battery for a reduced price, and then recycle the battery materials?

Maybe down the road but nothing close to that is in the market right now.

(This post was last modified: 07-10-2022, 07:47 PM by surfon. Edited 1 time in total.)

The warranty on my battery is 8 yrs 100k miles with no less than 20 percent degraded in that warranty period or it is replaced free of charge. As it stands now mine is a 2017 with almost no battery loss granted i only have little over 39k miles on it with the pandemic and working at home.

Its getting replaced under the recall soon with new 8 yr 10ok warranty. I kind of hit the lotto with that recall.

They are not throwaway cars. I guess i dont driva a ton but hardly ever had a car i kept with over 100k miles.

I do agree widespread adoption is still prly 7 to 10 yrs down the road.

Sidenote, Eric are you saying you dont have electricity at your home?

I have yet to use a public charger with mine yet. Charge at home.

(This post was last modified: 07-10-2022, 09:01 PM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

(07-10-2022, 01:52 AM)rpr52121 Wrote:

Replacing a battery is pretty easy.  The battery pack in an EV is actually a couple hundred smaller battery cells and the cells are often compatible from one manufacturer to another.
Recycling is only a problem because it's not profitable at this time.  It's still cheaper to mine new lithium than it is to recycle old lithium.  This isn't a big deal though.
Landfill waste is by far the least of our environmental problems, and lithium batteries aren't much of a risk in terms of toxicity.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 07-10-2022, 10:36 PM by EricC85.)

(07-10-2022, 07:43 PM)surfon Wrote: The warranty on my battery is 8 yrs 100k miles with no less than 20 percent degraded in that warranty period or it is replaced free of charge.  As it stands now mine is a 2017 with almost no battery loss granted i only have little over 39k miles on it with the pandemic and working at home.

Its getting replaced under the recall soon with new 8 yr 10ok warranty.  I kind of hit the lotto with that recall.

They are not throwaway cars.  I guess i dont driva a ton but hardly ever had a car i kept with over 100k miles.

I do agree widespread adoption is still prly 7 to 10 yrs down the road.

Sidenote, Eric are you saying you dont have electricity at your home?

I have yet to use a public charger with mine yet.  Charge at home.

If you've never kept a car over 100k then we are just looking at it from two different worlds. I've never gotten rid of a car with less then 330k. My truck now has 279k my wife's truck 158k and my new commuter car I bought to fight high gas prices (99 Camry from an older customer that can't drive anymore) has 79k by far the lowest mileage car ive ever owned. 

My last truck ran until 360k my last Camry ran to 340k my wife's Highlander only made it to 229k but the road flooded and it was totaled. 

We have electricity at home but it's a co-op running a little pool pump for the above ground pool I put in 3 years ago my electric bill jumped $100 a month I cringe to think what a car charger would cost me. 

My feed mill to purchase my chicken feed for example is a 150 mile round trip, the trip back I'm hauling 1000lbs of feed I promise there is no electric charging station between bostwick and lake Butler so I literally would have no way to get the feed to my homestead with an electric truck. 

But yes they are built to be replace in 5-10 years thats a throw away car. You won't see anything but after 2018 on the road in 10 years. My 1999 Camry will still be running when the electronics on the 2018 EV fail and the manufacture discontinues the product. I see it all the time. 

I don't mean it to insult or deter anyone from owning an EV. Local or suburban living it makes total sense especially with gas now stuck over $4 a gallon. But for us rural folk it's just not plausible and I don't see that changing anytime soon. 

Which might be by design the powers that be might not want folk like myself living far outside the cities and suburbs. Perhaps that's the purpose of a lot of this, who knows.

(07-10-2022, 09:01 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-10-2022, 01:52 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: Aren't some companies trying to design them to replace battery for a reduced price, and then recycle the battery materials?

Replacing a battery is pretty easy.  The battery pack in an EV is actually a couple hundred smaller battery cells and the cells are often compatible from one manufacturer to another.
Recycling is only a problem because it's not profitable at this time.  It's still cheaper to mine new lithium than it is to recycle old lithium.  This isn't a big deal though.
Landfill waste is by far the least of our environmental problems, and lithium batteries aren't much of a risk in terms of toxicity.

Come on Mike we're not talking about your typical car battery. The EV battery isn't a labor problem it's a cost and program problem. No they are not interchangeable from manufacture I promise a volt battery is not going to work in a lighting. The chargers are not even interchangable you have to get adaptors. Have you ever seen a lithium mine it literally destroys the ground around it permanently. All batteries lithium, acidic and flooded cells are extremely toxic and require very specific disposals per epa. It's why you have a core charge on your regular car battery.

It's not there quite yet but it's coming eventually. https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/hy...0-minutes/

Eric i prefer to purchase used vehicles with low miles i have found the sweet spot is a three or four year old vehicle. I drive it about 3 to 4 years keeping it below 100k, usually between 60 to 75k miles.normally and sell it while its still worth something.

Over the years i have found that the best price to value ratio for me. I once drove a celica for four years and sold it for exactly what i paid for it. It works for me and i dont trash out my vehicles.

My 98 ram has around 88k miles now. I only use it for purpose as it gets 13 mpg on a good day. Towing boats, hauling wood, and other truck stuff. I would sell it and replace but truck prices are redonculous and i already went well over a typical timeframe on it. Might drive it until the doors fall off idk.

If you can put in a dedicated 30 amp 220v line less than most ppl have for a hot tub you can overnight charge at least 250 miles in an standard elec vehicle. Mines 8 cents kwh so if i was dead e it would cost me .08x60 which is $4.80 for about 250 miles.

Its not for everyone i get it.

I was in my local Home Depot over the weekend. Previously in the week I saw a person using a Ryobi electric ZTR. I happened to see this thing in HD. They had a couple models. One cost 7000.00!!!! That’s about 2-3000 less than a commercial mower. Idk how many times an average Florida man would need to mow their lawn 40 weeks a year for it to pay off. Actually, I do. Hopefully in 4-5 years he’ll make his money back. Freaking insane. This guy was older. He’d probably be dead before he actually got the benefits of it. And his edging and weed earring sucked. I guess they didn’t have a good battery powered option for that. Sorry to sidetrack the EV thread.

(07-13-2022, 08:18 PM)Jags Wrote: I was in my local Home Depot over the weekend.  Previously in the week I saw a person using a Ryobi electric ZTR.  I happened to see this thing in HD.  They had a couple models.  One cost 7000.00!!!!  That’s about 2-3000 less than a commercial mower.  Idk how many times an average Florida man would need to mow their lawn 40 weeks a year for it to pay off.  Actually, I do.  Hopefully in 4-5 years he’ll make his money back.  Freaking insane.  This guy was older.  He’d probably be dead before he actually got the benefits of it.  And his edging and weed earring sucked.  I guess they didn’t have a good battery powered option for that.  Sorry to sidetrack the EV thread.

My neighbor just prefers his electric mower to the hassle of a gas engine. I don't have an opinion one way or the other, but I never know he's out mowing at 6am on Saturday.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I agree.  I like you live in a rural area.  My daily commute (for one more week) to and from work is right around 50 miles or so.  I do have power at my place, but no phone or internet service via a land line.  All of our phone/internet service is via cell phone towers which the "service" in our area is poor.

Also, I recently saw something regarding an Electric Truck being used as a truck.  With no load it had decent range between charges.  Put a load on it (pulling a trailer with a 10,000 pound machine on it) the truck lasted around 30 miles or so.  I use one of my trucks to do such work.  Electric is pretty much out of the question.

(07-13-2022, 08:18 PM)Jags Wrote: I was in my local Home Depot over the weekend.  Previously in the week I saw a person using a Ryobi electric ZTR.  I happened to see this thing in HD.  They had a couple models.  One cost 7000.00!!!!  That’s about 2-3000 less than a commercial mower.  Idk how many times an average Florida man would need to mow their lawn 40 weeks a year for it to pay off.  Actually, I do.  Hopefully in 4-5 years he’ll make his money back.  Freaking insane.  This guy was older.  He’d probably be dead before he actually got the benefits of it.  And his edging and weed earring sucked.  I guess they didn’t have a good battery powered option for that.  Sorry to sidetrack the EV thread.

I purchased a battery operated chainsaw and pole-saw for my wife a while back.  She likes to clean up our property and I figured the lighter weight would be easier for her to handle.  Those tools are actually pretty handy and I commonly carry one or the other on my tractor as I'm working around areas of our property.

A battery operated mower wouldn't work very well for me.  The lawn area around the house is about the size of a "typical" yard, but my "back yard" consists of acres of grass.  My choice for a mower is an older diesel powered sub-compact tractor with a 62" belly mower.  It's not as nice as a zero-turn mower, but it has a place for my cooler and a place to put my beer.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(07-14-2022, 03:51 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

I agree.  I like you live in a rural area.  My daily commute (for one more week) to and from work is right around 50 miles or so.  I do have power at my place, but no phone or internet service via a land line.  All of our phone/internet service is via cell phone towers which the "service" in our area is poor.

Also, I recently saw something regarding an Electric Truck being used as a truck.  With no load it had decent range between charges.  Put a load on it (pulling a trailer with a 10,000 pound machine on it) the truck lasted around 30 miles or so.  I use one of my trucks to do such work.  Electric is pretty much out of the question.

I purchased a battery operated chainsaw and pole-saw for my wife a while back.  She likes to clean up our property and I figured the lighter weight would be easier for her to handle.  Those tools are actually pretty handy and I commonly carry one or the other on my tractor as I'm working around areas of our property.

A battery operated mower wouldn't work very well for me.  The lawn area around the house is about the size of a "typical" yard, but my "back yard" consists of acres of grass.  My choice for a mower is an older diesel powered sub-compact tractor with a 62" belly mower.  It's not as nice as a zero-turn mower, but it has a place for my cooler and a place to put my beer.

There are some decent battery powered stuff out there.  For instance, look at all the cool power tools!!!  I’ve actually used a battery powered chainsaw.  It lacked power compared to a Stihl, but for the homeowner, it worked flawlessly.   I was impressed.  All the battery powered stuff is geared to the homeowner.  Which is fine.  I don’t blame them.  But doing what I do, I can not fathom having to use one.  And the mower being that expensive?!??? Now, 7k for a mower that is not commercial grade??? That seems steep!  But like FSG said, I guess you can mow at 6am without upsetting the neighbors.  I know you’re in a different situation though. More lawn, no neighbors.  

Btw, when you cleared your land, did you buy or rent the equipment? Or hire that out?   I was looking at various pieces and then came across people that said to just rent it. Curious as to your thoughts as you’ve done this before..

(07-14-2022, 06:28 PM)Jags Wrote:
(07-14-2022, 03:51 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I agree.  I like you live in a rural area.  My daily commute (for one more week) to and from work is right around 50 miles or so.  I do have power at my place, but no phone or internet service via a land line.  All of our phone/internet service is via cell phone towers which the "service" in our area is poor.

There are some decent battery powered stuff out there.  For instance, look at all the cool power tools!!!  I’ve actually used a battery powered chainsaw.  It lacked power compared to a Stihl, but for the homeowner, it worked flawlessly.   I was impressed.  All the battery powered stuff is geared to the homeowner.  Which is fine.  I don’t blame them.  But doing what I do, I can not fathom having to use one.  And the mower being that expensive?!??? Now, 7k for a mower that is not commercial grade??? That seems steep!  But like FSG said, I guess you can mow at 6am without upsetting the neighbors.  I know you’re in a different situation though. More lawn, no neighbors.  

Btw, when you cleared your land, did you buy or rent the equipment? Or hire that out?   I was looking at various pieces and then came across people that said to just rent it. Curious as to your thoughts as you’ve done this before..

I bought most of the equipment including a skid steer, a few tractors, chain saws, stump grinder, log splitter, etc.  I did hire some stuff out as far as trimming some trees and digging up some large stumps.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I ditched all of my electrical lawn tools and bought a Honda 4-cycle power head along with the attachments I need. So frigging awesome and a real timesaver.