Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Congressional approval of border deal

Details are still fuzzy. Sean has already complained. I'm sure Laura is soon to follow. Ann is happy, I'm guessing, as she can now shoot off tons of mean tweets and do five more columns of why Donald is an idiot.

So - does Donald sign it or not?
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-12-2019, 10:45 AM)Adam2012 Wrote: Details are still fuzzy. Sean has already complained. I'm sure Laura is soon to follow. Ann is happy, I'm guessing, as she can now shoot off tons of mean tweets and do five more columns of why Donald is an idiot.

Details are fuzzy and you post no links, yet it warranted a post? What are you looking to be in the proposed bill that would persuade you to believe it is a good deal for both sides and America? All I see is your whining to critique.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2019, 11:09 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

He signs it and claims victory, even though they passed on $25 billion a year ago.   Kind of like going into contract negotiations with a price of $50 million then telling your shareholders you were awarded a $4 million dollar contract that is going to be very profitable.

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2019, 11:19 AM by B2hibry.)

The few details that have emerged are a non-starter. There appears to be less than $1.5 for barriers (vehicle), no wall. This is even lower than the bill offered up before the shutdown. In addition, Dems are looking to cap detention bed spaces after lowering the number from current levels. This means current overages must be released into the wild while waiting for a hearing. We already know how this works. Dems are also looking to put language in the bill that would prevent the POTUS from shifting funds to build wall segments during a declared emergency. So, all in all, so-called negotiations went backward. Let's also not forget, the Dems want to raise the debt ceiling and will be looking to use this as a bargaining chip if not already attached to this proposal.

http://fortune.com/2019/02/10/border-wal...reak-down/

(02-12-2019, 11:04 AM)B2hibry Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 10:45 AM)Adam2012 Wrote: Details are still fuzzy. Sean has already complained. I'm sure Laura is soon to follow. Ann is happy, I'm guessing, as she can now shoot off tons of mean tweets and do five more columns of why Donald is an idiot.

Details are fuzzy and you post no links, yet it warranted a post? What are you looking to be in the proposed bill that would persuade you to believe it is a good deal for both sides and America? All I see is your whining to critique.

You can read, can't you? I see you later posted so I guess you can. I prefer people use their own sources of information rather than taking my source as gospel.

I guessing the Democrats would love Donald to shut down the government again. However, I really think the Republicans will move heaven and earth to prevent that.

I see that the Trump campaign has stated using "finish the wall" as their new slogan. I assume some of the base will actually believe that he's been building it.

I think Donald will sign this deal. He doesn't have many options. He will try and take money from other programs via presidential initiative (not citing a national emergency; that sets a scary precedent). Somewhere B. Obama is smiling. All those Trump tweets about Obama going around Congress and all those "small government conservatives" pretending to care.

What a deal-maker!

Don't sign and declare emergency, or sign AND re-appropriate funds to pay for wall.

The 25 billion was an authorization not an actual appropriation, if memory serves

(02-12-2019, 12:50 PM)jj82284 Wrote: The 25 billion was an authorization not an actual appropriation, if memory serves

Correct. It never made it through appropriations.

(02-12-2019, 12:33 PM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 11:04 AM)B2hibry Wrote: Details are fuzzy and you post no links, yet it warranted a post? What are you looking to be in the proposed bill that would persuade you to believe it is a good deal for both sides and America? All I see is your whining to critique.

You can read, can't you? I see you later posted so I guess you can. I prefer people use their own sources of information rather than taking my source as gospel.

I guessing the Democrats would love Donald to shut down the government again. However, I really think the Republicans will move heaven and earth to prevent that.

I see that the Trump campaign has stated using "finish the wall" as their new slogan. I assume some of the base will actually believe that he's been building it.

I think Donald will sign this deal. He doesn't have many options. He will try and take money from other programs via presidential initiative (not citing a national emergency; that sets a scary precedent). Somewhere B. Obama is smiling. All those Trump tweets about Obama going around Congress and all those "small government conservatives" pretending to care.

What a deal-maker!
Nope, I can't type either. Rolleyes  You would think you'd want to support your statement with a link if starting a thread, but then again, why change how you typically post. Whine, whine, Trumps evil, Donald dumb, base sucks, you all are suckers...etc.

This deal is dead. Another CR will be signed to avert shutdown and neither party gets anything but another black eye. Whether you choose to believe it or not, there are a few options that the POTUS has to address the segments that require fortification that you choose to ignore. There is no reason for Trump to sign anything away at this point. 

FYI, construction of barriers has been ongoing. California has been getting shiny new barriers for months and just got cleared for another 14 miles (All media releases here: https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom). This new funding request is for the next round of contracts and continuance.

(02-12-2019, 11:07 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: He signs it and claims victory, even though they passed on $25 billion a year ago.   Kind of like going into contract negotiations with a price of $50 million then telling your shareholders you were awarded a $4 million dollar contract that is going to be very profitable.

The Art of the Deal.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(02-12-2019, 01:31 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 12:33 PM)Adam2012 Wrote: You can read, can't you? I see you later posted so I guess you can. I prefer people use their own sources of information rather than taking my source as gospel.

What a deal-maker!
Nope, I can't type either. Rolleyes  You would think you'd want to support your statement with a link if starting a thread, but then again, why change how you typically post. Whine, whine, Trumps evil, Donald dumb, base sucks, you all are suckers...etc.

This deal is dead. Another CR will be signed to avert shutdown and neither party gets anything but another black eye. Whether you choose to believe it or not, there are a few options that the POTUS has to address the segments that require fortification that you choose to ignore. There is no reason for Trump to sign anything away at this point. 

FYI, construction of barriers has been ongoing. California has been getting shiny new barriers for months and just got cleared for another 14 miles (All media releases here: https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom). This new funding request is for the next round of contracts and continuance.

Boy, you are one true believer. I hope you're wearing your MAGA hat while typing.

The deal is dead? Another CR would just be for the details to be put in writing and give Congress time to vote on it and for Donald to sign it. I think the Republicans 
have made it clear that they don't want to look like fools again with another shutdown, so I'm pretty sure he'll sign. But don't worry - he'll tweet some reassuring words to his base. I'm just curious how he'll deal with the real people he answers to -  Hannity and Coulter. Should be interesting.

I'm also curious how much push back he'll get from Republicans if he tries to shift money around from other programs. Many Reps. want money for programs they support in their districts/states. Perhaps the Republican Party will find their backbone. 

Be sure to tune in to the next episode of As The Wall Turns.

He's going to sign it and I'm going to claim victory since the market is up 1.5% today (Dow +400 and Nasdaq +106) as a result of the potential deal keeping the Gov open.

I think we can all drink to that !!!

(02-12-2019, 02:58 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: He's going to sign it and I'm going to claim victory since the market is up 1.5% today (Dow +400 and Nasdaq +106) as a result of the potential deal keeping the Gov open.

The fact that a government shutdown can impact the outcome of peoples investments in private companies doesn't make a whole lot of sense and is kind of scary at the same time.

(02-12-2019, 02:58 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: He's going to sign it and I'm going to claim victory since the market is up 1.5% today (Dow +400 and Nasdaq +106) as a result of the potential deal keeping the Gov open.

Or that Saudi agreed to cut oil production. Looks like tech and energy are the big gainers.

(02-12-2019, 11:12 AM)B2hibry Wrote: The few details that have emerged are a non-starter. There appears to be less than $1.5 for barriers (vehicle), no wall. This is even lower than the bill offered up before the shutdown. In addition, Dems are looking to cap detention bed spaces after lowering the number from current levels. This means current overages must be released into the wild while waiting for a hearing. We already know how this works. Dems are also looking to put language in the bill that would prevent the POTUS from shifting funds to build wall segments during a declared emergency. So, all in all, so-called negotiations went backward. Let's also not forget, the Dems want to raise the debt ceiling and will be looking to use this as a bargaining chip if not already attached to this proposal.

Imagine, catching 5 bank robbers and having to let 2 go.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(02-12-2019, 11:12 AM)B2hibry Wrote: The few details that have emerged are a non-starter. There appears to be less than $1.5 for barriers (vehicle), no wall. This is even lower than the bill offered up before the shutdown. In addition, Dems are looking to cap detention bed spaces after lowering the number from current levels. This means current overages must be released into the wild while waiting for a hearing. We already know how this works. Dems are also looking to put language in the bill that would prevent the POTUS from shifting funds to build wall segments during a declared emergency. So, all in all, so-called negotiations went backward. Let's also not forget, the Dems want to raise the debt ceiling and will be looking to use this as a bargaining chip if not already attached to this proposal.

That should alarm any sensible person.

To address the first part in bold, vehicle barriers will do nothing to stop the flow of human and/or drug trafficking coming across the border EVERY DAY.  While yes there are places where vehicles are used to cross, much more of the problem is from foot traffic.

Regarding the second part in bold.  That's the same as saying lower the number of beds in prisons and let law breakers go free.  Jail is full?  Just let that rapist or child molester go free with a slip of paper that says that he needs to report to court.

Liberals fail to understand that the problem isn't "families looking for a better life".  The problem is the illicit and very dangerous trade(s) that goes on, that being human trafficking, drug smuggling, rapes and gang members entering the country.

In my opinion, President Trump should sign the bill to at least get something going, but it doesn't solve the major problem.  I don't mind aiding immigrants that are willing to work and searching for a better life with VERY limited government aid (my tax dollars) as long as they do it properly and legally.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Not been following, so I assume the Mexicans have sent the money?

(02-12-2019, 10:17 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Not been following, so I assume the Mexicans have sent the money?
I think maybe they got confused and thought we meant labor not currency?

And yet it has bipartisan support and will pass, although I'm not fond of the idea of limiting the number of beds ICE can have because of the effect it would have on due process, and the end result of just releasing people because there's no bed for them.

I'm sure Donald woke up this morning thinking - "How the heck did I allow myself to get to this point? Painted myself into a corner. And I'm the one who was supposed to be the deal maker. Nancy Pelosi made me look like a fool. Oh well, thank god for Twitter. I'll just keep saying "finish the wall" a couple of hundred times. You can fool some of the people all of the time."

Once Donald moves on from his vanity project perhaps some real governing can begin.