Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
More Rules Changes

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2019, 08:10 PM by Bullseye.)

Why can't they leave the game alone for once?

Now they have completely eliminated the blindside block.  I wonder how broadly that is defined.

Is a trap block-one of the most basic and fundamental run blocks- considered a blindside block now?

They are also debating making Pass interfdrence a reviewable play-inluding those not called.  I'm betting if this passes, desperate teams will use this a lot against us.

Naturally,  the fictional pass interference against Bouye in the AFCCG wouldn't be impacted or deemed important enough to implement this change.

Update: .Pass Interference-both offensive and defensive, called and non called, is officially reviewable.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

PI needs to be a max 15 yard penalty

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2019, 08:14 PM by knarnn.)

Crazy. Get ready for some looooooooong games.

Called and non called PI? This could literally be every play.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(03-26-2019, 08:12 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: PI needs to be a max 15 yard penalty

We beat New England with 15 yard PI penalties.

(03-26-2019, 07:20 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Why can't they leave the game alone for once?

Now they have completely eliminated the blindside block.  I wonder how broadly that is defined.

Is a trap block-one of the most basic and fundamental run blocks- considered a blindside block now?
Very interested to see how they define this rule. 
The game is changing in ways I'm not happy about -  and this one could get weird depending on how they define it.

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2019, 08:58 PM by Bullseye.)

(03-26-2019, 08:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 07:20 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Why can't they leave the game alone for once?

Very interested to see how they define this rule. 
The game is changing in ways I'm not happy about -  and this one could get weird depending on how they define it.

I understand there is a need for improved safety, but many of the rules changes are stupid, reactionary, and are making the game unrecognizable.

The ones regarding hitting the QB prove my point exactly.

You can't hit a QB too high.  I get it you want to eliminate concussions, but a mere grazing of the helmet by a guy being blocked away from the QB or on a ducking QB should not be a penalty.

You can't hit a QB too low.  Because the league was upset that Brady got hurt, this reactionary rule was instituted-nevermind the fact players at every other position routinely get their knees blown out in part as a result of all the different rules changes. These two rules are bad enough individually. 

But because Aaron Rodgers separated his shoulder against the Vikings, a defender cannot land with his body weight on a QB he is in the process of sacking.  Somehow a defender is supposed to run at an often mobile guy weighing anywhere from 215-250 lbs, hitting him exactly between the shoulders and knees, and then can't fall on top of him, even if that's what it takes to bring him down to the ground in the first place.  That stupid penalty, called against Calais Campbell, aided the Steelers in their comeback win against us.

But the tinfoil hat wearing, small market conspiracy theorist inside of me sees the new P.I. replay application as a new and inventive way the suits in New york can habitually screw over the smaller market teams.

The only solace I take in the new P.I. replay rule is the off chance offensive pass interference could actually be called more often, and an obviously wrong field flipping defensive pass interference might get reversed.  There is actually the potential to bring more offense-defense balance to the game.

He brings up a good point...

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status...2166313984

(03-26-2019, 09:06 PM)Eric1 Wrote: He brings up a good point...

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status...2166313984

Especially considered P.I. has traditionally not been called on Hail Mary plays.

Now it has the potential to be called when no flag is thrown on the field because a guy in the booth (either at the stadium or maybe even in New York) thinks there should be a penalty.

No chance of abuse there.

Pffft!

...and throw in the shadow of legalized gambling hovering in the background...
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(03-26-2019, 09:43 PM)PF* Wrote: ...and throw in the shadow of legalized gambling hovering in the background...

Oh the horror!   Cry

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2019, 10:32 AM by krauley.)

(03-26-2019, 08:13 PM)knarnn Wrote: Crazy. Get ready for some looooooooong games.

Wrong, they will shorten the play clock to 15 seconds and keep or add more commerials but still fit the games in the 3 hour windows they have now. I used to watch a big percentage of games years back and slowly but surely its evolved into just the jags games. i have a feeling that will end soon. Just everything about the games now make me lose interest.

I think people's fear of the PI reviewable thing being overused will be overblown. For one, thing they are not adding more challenges for the coaches. So even if they use all their challenges on those calls, is only a couple of plays. Plus coaches won't do that because they want them for other potential reviews.

Also, all reviews inside of 2 minutes are started by the refs/booth. So coaches can't just force them to review every possibly play at end of game situations. I have a hard time seeing the refs/NFL/booth reviewing every play in that situation.

The issues that will come up though are:

1. Better definition of what is offensive pass interference. Like is is full hand extension only or not? What about all the stuff that Antonio Brown does?

2. Only PI is reviewable, but defensive holding is not. Expect a huge issue if there is a play where they get away with defensive holding and cannot review it.

Regarding the blindside block. If is designed to eliminate trap blocks, does that negate most of the Patriots running game? Don't they normally lead the league in trap/wham blocks?

(03-26-2019, 08:13 PM)knarnn Wrote: Crazy. Get ready for some looooooooong games.

The non-call PI still counts against the two challenge rule. Nothing changes, really.

(03-27-2019, 07:53 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

The non-call PI still counts against the two challenge rule. Nothing changes, really.

Exactly. Nothing changes other than allowing for bad penalties to be over turned.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2019, 12:18 PM by Mikey.)

(03-26-2019, 08:12 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: PI needs to be a max 15 yard penalty

nah, because every player beat on a play over 15 yards will instantly tackle their man rather than risk a longer play.

Now if you made the penalty 15 yards and the player has to sit until the next first down, that might be something.

based on the blindside block ruling, does that mean a blitzer can't tackle a QB from the blindside either? Ninja