Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tell me your experiences during these trying times

So, I’ve taken a break from technology of all kinds.  Yes, I’m still up to date on what is going on.  Mainly, I’m talking about the racial inequality that has spread across the nation.  My personal experience has actually been better than it was before.  Perhaps I’m in a nice area with people of the same views and values.  Perhaps this whole thing has a lot of us treating others better than we would have. Perhaps it’s another left wing shove it down your throat thing.  Idk.  

Here lately I’m not seeing what the media is giving me.  For instance, just today I went to academy sports, Michael’s, hobby lobby and Tools for a time.  I had 3 distinct and interactions with people of color.  All 3 were very pleasant. The tools for a time girl was kinda hot and I felt like I may have been hit on.  The hobby lobby cashier was very pleasant and we bought a [BLEEP] ton of 4th of July gear creating a longer time spent at the register.  Had good friendly talk.   Outside michaels I quite honestly was ready to go the [BLEEP] home. I sat in the car staring at the vehicle opposite me.  I’m staring at a Chrysler 300 with some weird [BLEEP] ball thing-a-ma-jig on the front grill.  I  found the owner and his girlfriend or wife(didn’t look for a ring) walking up to it.  I roll down my window to inquire about it.  Yet again a very pleasant interaction.   

Long story short, my interactions have not been what the media is portraying.  So I ask you guys how it’s been.  Whether you’re black, white, orange or purple let’s hear it.  Have you noticed anything in your daily life pleasant or hateful?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 06-27-2020, 07:14 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

I have had black friends since kindergarten. I have never had to make an effort to be friends with someone of a different race. This is why I think teaching someone not to be racist isn't actually a real thing. I have very liberal family in California whom are vocal about all this on social media and have probably never shaken the hand of a person of color their entire life. I don't believe in the gesture of going out of your way to prove you arent a racist. That is built into being a decent human who was raised properly.

The media isnt real life. Twitter isnt real life. This message board isn't real life. I experience the exact same things you described in my daily interactions in the community. The word "racist" has been misused and watered down.

I agree to the second paragraph. But admittedly, I have not had the same upbringing for the first. Yet, have I been stumped enough to believe all that was said to me growing up. So no, I personally haven’t had black friends and as a matter of fact I was kinda “thought” otherwise But I’m a God first kinda guy and take the best of all I was taught. I am a firm believer of you have good and bad people no matter what race, color or term given to them.

I asked my brother his thoughts on this. He is in a higher position in the military and can rarely talk about his work. Which weirdly his military work can not talk about this subject nor Covid nor other things which google would tell you his group does. So not quite sure what the guy does but from what he can say he
Feels it is also not what the media is telling us. His words were the “same people rioting after the bulls won 6 titles in ten years were the same rioting now”. Which makes sense. Which also tells me there is hope. Not letting the few adjust how the vast majority do life.

Riot chicks are easy.

(06-27-2020, 10:21 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Riot chicks are easy.

Evidently so are you.  Big Grin

My neck hurts from so much shaking my head in disbelief
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Racism is born of tribalism which is a product of evolution. That we as humans haven't made our way past tribalism is sad, but understandable. Partisan hackery has the same roots as tribalism. Just be better, it's not that hard.

(06-27-2020, 07:05 PM)Jags Wrote: So, I’ve taken a break from technology of all kinds.  Yes, I’m still up to date on what is going on.  Mainly, I’m talking about the racial inequality that has spread across the nation.  My personal experience has actually been better than it was before.  Perhaps I’m in a nice area with people of the same views and values.  Perhaps this whole thing has a lot of us treating others better than we would have. Perhaps it’s another left wing shove it down your throat thing.  Idk.  

Here lately I’m not seeing what the media is giving me.  For instance, just today I went to academy sports, Michael’s, hobby lobby and Tools for a time.  I had 3 distinct and interactions with people of color.  All 3 were very pleasant. The tools for a time girl was kinda hot and I felt like I may have been hit on.  The hobby lobby cashier was very pleasant and we bought a [BLEEP] ton of 4th of July gear creating a longer time spent at the register.  Had good friendly talk.   Outside michaels I quite honestly was ready to go the [BLEEP] home. I sat in the car staring at the vehicle opposite me.  I’m staring at a Chrysler 300 with some weird [BLEEP] ball thing-a-ma-jig on the front grill.  I  found the owner and his girlfriend or wife(didn’t look for a ring) walking up to it.  I roll down my window to inquire about it.  Yet again a very pleasant interaction.   

Long story short, my interactions have not been what the media is portraying.  So I ask you guys how it’s been.  Whether you’re black, white, orange or purple let’s hear it.  Have you noticed anything in your daily life pleasant or hateful?

From your perspective, what is the media portraying?

(06-27-2020, 07:13 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I have had black friends since kindergarten.  I have never had to make an effort to be friends with someone of a different race. This is why I think teaching someone not to be racist isn't actually a real thing. I have very liberal family in California whom are vocal about all this on social media and have probably never shaken the hand of a person of color their entire life. I don't believe in the gesture of going out of your way to prove you arent a racist.  That is built into being a decent human who was raised properly.

The media isnt real life. Twitter isnt real life. This message board isn't real life. I experience the exact same things you described in my daily interactions in the community. The word "racist" has been misused and watered down.

I have watched internet trolls try to explain that racism isnt that bad, and that they're cool because they know a black guy.  
Its crazy.
s
;

;

(06-28-2020, 11:55 AM)Norman Mushari Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 07:13 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I have had black friends since kindergarten.  I have never had to make an effort to be friends with someone of a different race. This is why I think teaching someone not to be racist isn't actually a real thing. I have very liberal family in California whom are vocal about all this on social media and have probably never shaken the hand of a person of color their entire life. I don't believe in the gesture of going out of your way to prove you arent a racist.  That is built into being a decent human who was raised properly.

I have watched internet trolls try to explain that racism isnt that bad, and that they're cool because they know a black guy.  
Its crazy.

I believe the main intent of the question was based around if you experience in your daily life what the media is selling. Unless you live in a metro area of a big city, that answer is typically a hard no.

Also, my point was that not being racist shouldn't require any effort.

When I lived in Jacksonville, and when I lived in Tampa, I had a couple of black friends.
Since moving to Orlando, I haven't made one yet, I mean I haven't made any black enemies either, there just doesn't seem to be as many black people around here.
Stroud crowd is right that it's not hard for a white person to make friends with the black person.
But just because we as individuals do not behave in racist ways towards other individuals, does not mean that society is free of racism.
I think our responsibility to fight racism extends beyond merely not being personally racist.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

I think the first step for everyone is to stop looking at people through the narrow lens of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc. and stop putting people into "groups".  Of course, this seems to be impossible for our liberal friends on the left.

Think about this.  ALL LIVES MATTER.  If you need to put a color, race or occupation in front of that statement, then you are the problem.

As far as my daily dealings and interactions with people, it never dawned on me to consider how those interactions went based on the color of their skin.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 06-28-2020, 03:10 PM by Sammy. Edit Reason: Repaired my own quote. )

(06-28-2020, 01:19 AM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: Racism is born of tribalism which is a product of evolution. That we as humans haven't made our way past tribalism is sad, but understandable. Partisan hackery has the same roots as tribalism. Just be better, it's not that hard.

Is that something like hating Tack fans because they are Tack fans? I've been to a lot of NFL games, and it amazes me how some fans act to the rival fans at the game. Worst fan fight I ever seen was in a restroom during a Browns Steelers game. White urinals really look whiter when they have red blood on them. I used to jokingly say "If you can hate someone because of the jersey they wear, you can hate someone because of the color of their skin"

I have no problem interacting with anyone unless they make it a problem at which point I just walk away. I'm an introvert so I don't make it a point to randomly talk to people but I will converse with the person at the checkout in stores, doctor office, etc. The list of places to be around others is short here in NC thanks to our dictator  governor extending our phase two for another 3 weeks. 

Also, I'm with jagibelieve in that it never occurs to me to consider my interactions with folks based on race (or culture). Unless they speak a foreign language I don't understand. Then it might be a bit awkward.

(06-28-2020, 02:01 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: stop putting people into "groups".  Of course, this seems to be impossible for our liberal friends on the left.

(06-28-2020, 04:49 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(06-28-2020, 02:01 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: stop putting people into "groups".  Of course, this seems to be impossible for our liberal friends on the left.

+1.
Do better, JIB.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

[BLEEP] are [BLEEP].whether they are purple, blue, or green.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(06-28-2020, 04:49 PM)TJBender Wrote:

Identity based on immutable characteristics is not the same as ideology. He could have been more clear, but I think this is his point.

Individuality is the cure for racism.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-28-2020, 05:55 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Identity based on immutable characteristics is not the same as ideology. He could have been more clear, but I think this is his point.

Agreed. 

Unless you are the only person who believes in that ideology you are a part of a group. We all fit into many groups. No need for folks to get their drawers in a wad over it. He said, "our liberal friends on the left." He could have pulled a Clint Eastwood barbershop scene from Gran Torino if he really meant to insult.