Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Adrian Amos - Safety prospect

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2015, 03:14 PM by SuperJville.)

Quote: 

For as many players Alabama has produced over the years, for a long time, they hadn't produced anything resembling a stud WR, which was odd, because over the years, they produced great QBs (Starr, Namath, Stabler), at least one great TE (Ozzie Newsome) and great OLs.  It wasn't until Nick Saban came in, after stints in the NFL, that Alabama started producing stud WRs in Julio Jones and now Amari Cooper. 

So your point should be:  Joe Paterno coached teams have not produced defensive backs.  

That may be true based on scheme, recruiting emphasis, etc..

Penn State is now a completely different team with different coaches and different players.

A player like Amos (unless he was recruited by Joe Pa) literally has ZERO connection to Paterno.  

Julio Jones is a good example of why your logic was flawed to begin with.  If teams thought like you did (which of course they don't), Atlanta wouldn't have traded up for Julio Jones because... after all.... he's an Alabama WR.

The only point you can make that may have some merit is that certain schools, under certain coaches and schemes - do not historically make good NFL players at certain positions.

That is it.  Once the coach changes, the scheme changes, or any of the above, all you're talking is baloney.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:So your point should be:  Joe Paterno coached teams have not produced defensive backs.  

That may be true based on scheme, recruiting emphasis, etc..

Penn State is now a completely different team with different coaches and different players.

A player like Amos (unless he was recruited by Joe Pa) literally has ZERO connection to Paterno.  

Julio Jones is a good example of why your logic was flawed to begin with.  If teams thought like you did (which of course they don't), Atlanta wouldn't have traded up for Julio Jones because... after all.... he's an Alabama WR.

The only point you can make that may have some merit is that certain schools, under certain coaches and schemes - do not historically make good NFL players at certain positions.

That is it.  Once the coach changes, the scheme changes, or any of the above, all you're talking is baloney.
1.  Some Paterno recruits are still there, if my math is right. 

2.  There is no evidence to date this current crop of Penn State DBs will produce any different results than the Penn State DBs that came before them.

3.  That is false.  There are plenty of schools that have changed coaches and schemes and have still produced at certain positions.  Sometimes, a school's tradition of producing players at certain positions will lead other stud players at those positions to that school, even if the coach changes.  Alabama has been producing great LBs dating back to Bear Bryant, Ray Perkins, Gene Stallings, and now Nick Saban.   I also mentioned USC's tradition of producing great OTs and safeties.  Coaching or scheme change can change the dynamic, but many times the dynamic continues once a coach leaves.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I guess we will have to agree to disagree then.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:What do you guys think of Adrian Amos S in the 4th or 5th round?

- 6ft 218lbs

-Very fluid  in coverage 

-Athletic enough to cover ground with ease

-Versatile,has spent time at cornerback

-Not a big hitter by any stretch of the imagination but displays good form

- According to NFL.com ,he allowed just 3.9 yards per target in 2014

-May not be the future at safety but would be a considerable upgrade over Josh Evans in my opinion

4.56 40 time and was in the top safety performers in the 20 and 60 yard shuttle

Quote:I don't see much that would indicate a significant upgrade over Josh Evans.

I don't know HIGH SCORE.  The red bit (if true in the NFL) would certainly be an upgrade to Evans. 

Quote:I guess we will have to agree to disagree then.
No just keep arguing we can change his mind

JoePa recruited and then coached Amos during his 2011 Freshman Year.

Take him off the board.

Take a look at the PSU players that play and have played in the NFL.

EPIC FAIL IN THE SECONDARY ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pen...ll_players

Quote:I don't know HIGH SCORE. The red bit (if true in the NFL) would certainly be an upgrade to Evans.

Consider me one of those who doesn't think Evans is nearly as bad as advertised. In fact I think he plays his position as good, if not better than our other safety.

Is he an all-pro? No. Can he be upgraded? Sure. But I don't think any middle round safety would be a "significant upgrade".

Would be happy to be wrong though.

[quote name="HIGH SCORE" post="442354" timestamp="1425002473"]

Consider me one of those who doesn't think Evans is nearly as bad as advertised. In fact I think he plays his position as good, if not better than our other safety.

Is he an all-pro? No. Can he be upgraded? Sure. But I don't think any middle round safety would be a "significant upgrade".

Would be happy to be wrong though.[/quote

Totally agree with you.

Yeah Evans is bad, but so is Cyprien. They are both liabilities as far as I'm concerned.

What I have heard about Adrian Amos is that he is a good centerfield FS with regards to coverage but his tackling and run defense skills are lacking.

Made the all rookie team and had a very solid year despite not getting any INTs.

Quote:No.

Penn State DBs tend to suck.
great scouting

Quote:Made the all rookie team and had a very solid year despite not getting any INTs.

Pretty good rating on PFF as well. Better than who we put on the field this year. Not sure he'll be that playmaking safety this team lacks, but a solid player.

He's been elite this year. 

*Gives myself a large pat on the back*