Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
TV Shows

(05-14-2020, 10:53 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(05-14-2020, 05:33 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: We watched the first 2 episodes of The Handmaid's Tale, and I think it's just too dark for us.  

We binged McMillions on HBO.  That was pretty good.

The Handmaid's Tale is dark. And creepy. Not my thing to see women subjected to what they were. The woman who wrote the book was a twisted person IMO.

Considering the vast majority of the "twisted" stuff is straight out of the old testament and much of it still practiced by large swaths of religious groups spread about the planet  -- I didn't find it all that "twisted."  
It seems more like a not-to-far-fetched cautionary tale about the separation of church and state.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-15-2020, 09:34 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(05-15-2020, 01:42 PM)rollerjag Wrote: I binged Waco in 2 days. If it was anywhere close to an accurate depiction of events, man what a cluster [BLEEP] that was.

I was stationed in San Antonio, TX when that happened and remember hearing snippets about it on the news. I never heard the story until years later. I've watched the first two episodes. Taylor Kitsch is killing it as David Koresh.

Yes, he is. Some of my favorite actors - Michael Shannon, Paul Sparks, Shea Whigham, Julia Garner, John Leguizamo - give strong performances.

I followed it closely when it happened, it seemed like overkill then, I had no idea how awful it was actually handled by the ATF and FBI until much later.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(05-17-2020, 11:03 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-14-2020, 10:53 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: The Handmaid's Tale is dark. And creepy. Not my thing to see women subjected to what they were. The woman who wrote the book was a twisted person IMO.

Considering the vast majority of the "twisted" stuff is straight out of the old testament and much of it still practiced by large swaths of religious groups spread about the planet  -- I didn't find it all that "twisted."  
It seems more like a not-to-far-fetched cautionary tale about the separation of church and state.

I would +1 you if we still had the ability!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(05-15-2020, 09:34 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(05-15-2020, 01:42 PM)rollerjag Wrote: I binged Waco in 2 days. If it was anywhere close to an accurate depiction of events, man what a cluster [BLEEP] that was.

I was stationed in San Antonio, TX when that happened and remember hearing snippets about it on the news. I never heard the story until years later. I've watched the first two episodes. Taylor Kitsch is killing it as David Koresh.

I visited the site of the compound a couple of years ago while working at Ft. Hood. It’s still called the Branch Davidian church, but you would never know it was the center of the news universe at one time. It sits off a little-used road in an absolute bucolic setting.

I found this new show called The Andy Griffith Show this morning. But there must have been something wrong with my internet connection because the colors were all [BLEEP] up.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(05-17-2020, 03:51 PM)Rico Wrote: I found this new show called The Andy Griffith Show this morning.  But there must have been something wrong with my internet connection because the colors were all [BLEEP] up.

I had the same problem with “The Wizard of Oz” but about 15-20 min in, the color came in.   Ninja

Back to my “ban”. Y’all have a good week.

(05-17-2020, 12:25 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(05-15-2020, 09:34 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I was stationed in San Antonio, TX when that happened and remember hearing snippets about it on the news. I never heard the story until years later. I've watched the first two episodes. Taylor Kitsch is killing it as David Koresh.

Yes, he is. Some of my favorite actors - Michael Shannon, Paul Sparks, Shea Whigham, Julia Garner, John Leguizamo - give strong performances.

I followed it closely when it happened, it seemed like overkill then, I had no idea how awful it was actually handled by the ATF and FBI until much later.

And you wonder why some people favor limited government. That the ATF survived that is terrible.

(05-17-2020, 11:03 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-14-2020, 10:53 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: The Handmaid's Tale is dark. And creepy. Not my thing to see women subjected to what they were. The woman who wrote the book was a twisted person IMO.

The part I consider to be twisted is a female author writing the women being treated that way as "entertainment" (to me books are for entertainment or to learn something). 

I guess being a victim of sexual assault gives me a different POV. 

Your second point I agree with.

(05-18-2020, 10:54 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(05-17-2020, 11:03 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Considering the vast majority of the "twisted" stuff is straight out of the old testament and much of it still practiced by large swaths of religious groups spread about the planet  -- I didn't find it all that "twisted."  

The part I consider to be twisted is a female author writing the women being treated that way as "entertainment" (to me books are for entertainment or to learn something). 

I hear you.  I suppose that's what I meant by "cautionary tale."  I don't believe the author had light hearted entertainment in mind when she wrote it. Margaret Atwood, who wrote the novel in 1985 was recently asked why she came up with this and responded that "it wasn't me that came up with it, but the human race over the last 4000 years."

She calls the work "speculative fiction" not science fiction and has also referenced prior dystopian novels by Orwell and Bradbury as inspiration. In another interview she agrees with an interviewer who draws parallels to her story and currently existing extremist factions of religious groups around the globe. 

It's a very dark topic to be sure.

(05-18-2020, 09:43 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(05-17-2020, 12:25 PM)rollerjag Wrote: Yes, he is. Some of my favorite actors - Michael Shannon, Paul Sparks, Shea Whigham, Julia Garner, John Leguizamo - give strong performances.

And you wonder why some people favor limited government. That the ATF survived that is terrible.

I don't wonder that at all, but please leave it at that. This is not the appropriate forum for that particular discussion.
- Bob Marley

(05-18-2020, 10:54 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(05-17-2020, 11:03 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Considering the vast majority of the "twisted" stuff is straight out of the old testament and much of it still practiced by large swaths of religious groups spread about the planet  -- I didn't find it all that "twisted."  

IMHO, the author of the novel, or the authors of the screenplays of the series, did not depict what went on as anything but abusive.
- Bob Marley

(05-17-2020, 12:25 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(05-15-2020, 09:34 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I was stationed in San Antonio, TX when that happened and remember hearing snippets about it on the news. I never heard the story until years later. I've watched the first two episodes. Taylor Kitsch is killing it as David Koresh.

I just finished the series and am horrified. All I can say right now is what the radio guy said at the end and is something to be discussed in the political section of anyone has comments about it. 

"We all are Americans. When did we start seeing each other as the enemy?"

Episodes of Bosch go by too fast. Just watched E1 of the final season and it's looking good. I'm sad it's ending.

(05-22-2020, 08:42 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Episodes of Bosch go by too fast. Just watched E1 of the final season and it's looking good. I'm sad it's ending.

If you enjoy reading, the Bosch series by Michael Connelly is very good, as are the spin-offs featuring characters from the Bosch novels, like The Lincoln Lawyer (the book is much better than the movie). If you like audio books, Titus B. Welliver is narrator for many of Bosch series.
- Bob Marley

(05-23-2020, 09:53 AM)rollerjag Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 08:42 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Episodes of Bosch go by too fast. Just watched E1 of the final season and it's looking good. I'm sad it's ending.

If you enjoy reading, the Bosch series by Michael Connelly is very good, as are the spin-offs featuring characters from the Bosch novels, like The Lincoln Lawyer (the book is much better than the movie). If you like audio books, Titus B. Welliver is narrator for many of Bosch series.

He's been a favorite author of mine since the late 90s. Also love reading John Sandford's Prey series as well as his Prey character spin-off books of Virgil Flowers. 

I would never have thought of Titus Welliver as playing Bosch but he totally fits the bill. Pretty much everyone is cast well. Crate & Barrel especially. 

I wish the Prey books could be done as a series as well as Bosch has been.

Finished watching season 2 of Barry on HBO. I'm not quite sure what to make of that show but it keeps me hooked.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

I am currently binge watching the entire series of Psych. It is hilarious and everyone should have a friendship like Shawn and Gus.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(05-23-2020, 09:53 AM)rollerjag Wrote:

I just read that Bosch will be back for a seventh and final season. I don't know who decided to bring it back for one more season but it makes me happy. Yay!

A four part documentary on Amazon Prime called The Last Narc. It’ll blow your mind.

I binged both seasons of Cobra Kai this week. I had no intention of watching it because I thought it was going to suck. It didn't. Sure, it's got some cheese in it. It's a continuation of an 80s movie, of course it has cheese in it! But dang the writers blended 80s nostalgia into the 21st century and it worked.  

The cast was also spot on. I just need to know where William Zabka has been since 1985?! He was the kid Ralph Macchio's Daniel-san kicked in the face and beat in the final tournament in Karate Kid. That guy can act. He has better range than some A listers and all B listers out there. He is hilarious, angry, sad, decisive, vulnerable... and in really good shape for his age.

The show has everything. 80s nostalgia big time, humor, drama, action, relationship stuff and nearly every episode leaves you hanging so you're practically forced to choose "next episode". They average about 30 minutes per show but now that it's been bought by Netflix we'll see. I really hope Netflix doesn't screw it up. Thankfully S3 was filmed before Netflix bought it from YouTube so it will flow nicely from the giant cliffhanger S2 ended on. 

I will say this.... I haven't seen Ralph or William in anything since the 80s. It's quite weird to remember them as they were, a very clear picture in my mind, then suddenly see them 34 years later (at the time of filming S1). It's not like seeing James Spader in The Blacklist because he's always been around. Even though they're 10 years older than me it made me feel my age seeing them as they look now.