Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
TV Shows

I watched Iron Fist. I thought it was pretty underwhelming.

The fight scenes for the most part were pretty meh, with a show name like Iron Fist and the premise that the main character has been training for 15 years with a super secret society of monks I was expecting more.

I fully understand having a slow build in a first season of a show to establish background yadda yadda. But I found myself bored watching it because it just became very predictable.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I watched Iron Fist. I thought it was pretty underwhelming.

The fight scenes for the most part were pretty meh, with a show name like Iron Fist and the premise that the main character has been training for 15 years with a super secret society of monks I was expecting more.

I fully understand having a slow build in a first season of a show to establish background yadda yadda. But I found myself bored watching it because it just became very predictable.

Probably the worst of Netflix's Marvel shows so far. Danny Rand was also fairly unlikeable.

Quote:I watched Iron Fist. I thought it was pretty underwhelming.

I feel the same. I read an interview with Finn Jones where he mentioned he learned the sequences to the fight scenes 15 minutes prior to shooting them. That is ridiculous. I suppose because they filmed Iron Fist and The Defenders so close together is why the filming schedule was so tight, but that's not really a good excuse. Someone should have thought of that beforehand and had him train longer prior to shooting started. Even if it meant Defenders had to be pushed out some due to a not so crazy shoot for Fist, at least we would have gotten a quality show. Fist is definitely the weakest of the four shows. 

Full story

One of the major criticisms of the series has been that, for a show about a master of the martial arts, the fights scenes aren’t very impressive. Some of that criticism has been mostly aimed at the excessive amount of cuts and edits the series uses, and others have focused on more specifically on Finn Jones and what they feel is an inability on the lead actor’s part to sell the action.

It turns out Jones may have simply been doing the best he could with the time he has, which wasn’t much time at all. Jones claims that he only had minutes to learn the choreography for a fight scene because Iron Fist was on such a tight, some might say rushed, schedule.

“But really, I was learning the fight scenes 15 minutes before we actually shot them because the schedule was so tight,” Jones tells Metro. "So 15 minutes before, the stunt director would talk me through the choreography and I'd just jump straight into it. It really was a baptism of fire and I just learned on the job and I've been doing it for 12 months now. With practice, you just get better and better with dealing with that kind of schedule.”

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2017, 03:47 PM by Best84.)

Did anyone else get tired of the same back flip kick every episode like I did?

Quote:Did anyone else get tired of the same back flip kick every episode like I did?
Probably the easiest thing for the actor to do considering he had no time to learn anything else. 

I don't think it's a complete bust but any failure is solely on Marvel and Netflix. They didn't seem to plan the story out well, most likely due to time constraints I mentioned above.

Well, to be fair, Iron Fist is not a compelling character to base a series around. I've said that since they anbounced it in the first place. Without Power Man (Luke Cage) to play off of, the character is yet another in the long line of dry, tired Batman clones.

You know a show is bad when the main character routinely gets outdone by his supporting cast. Besides, the Hand is a colossal joke in the comics. They haven't been relevant since the Acts of Vengeance (when the Mandarin took over and the Seige Perilous gave us sex ninja Psylocke).
<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

Quote:Well, to be fair, Iron Fist is not a compelling character to base a series around. I've said that since they anbounced it in the first place. Without Power Man (Luke Cage) to play off of, the character is yet another in the long line of dry, tired Batman clones.

You know a show is bad when the main character routinely gets outdone by his supporting cast. Besides, the Hand is a colossal joke in the comics. They haven't been relevant since the Acts of Vengeance (when the Mandarin took over and the Seige Perilous gave us sex ninja Psylocke).

More Psylocke!

Quote:More Psylocke!
Olivia Munn was hawt as Psylocke in that godforsaken X-Men Apocalypse. She's gorgeous anyway but she did justice to a character I know nothing about.

Quote:Olivia Munn was hawt as Psylocke in that godforsaken X-Men Apocalypse. She's gorgeous anyway but she did justice to a character I know nothing about.

Long story short, Psylocke went from being a wimpy mutant telepath to a sex ninja in one deft move/storyline, which incidentally reinvented many of Marvel's more stale characters (both heroes and villains).

I think these days she's more telekinetic than telepath but the [BLEEP]-kicking is still in full effect. Think Elektra (Daredevil) with powers and marginally less of an attitude and you have Psylocke.

On a related note, I think the Defenders is going to suck unless that show is all about Daredevil and everyone else is just there for decoration...unless Misty and Colleen get more airtime/action.
<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

Do you guys get Line Of Duty over there?

Or do any of my fellow Brits watch this show?

[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

Quote:Do you guys get Line Of Duty over there?

Or do any of my fellow Brits watch this show?

I have not heard of that one.

I am a little surprised The Americans hasn't been mentioned. Incredible show. I would recommend binge watching it from the beginning.

Quote:I am a little surprised The Americans hasn't been mentioned. Incredible show. I would recommend binge watching it from the beginning.

I'm surprised I didn't mention it. It's my favorite show.

Three I've been watching lately are The Crown (Netflix), Sneaky Pete (Amazon)  and Big Little Lies (HBO). I'm really liking all three, especially Big Little lies for the excellent cast and their performances.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Anyone watch Rectify?

Pretty unique show.

Quote:Well, to be fair, Iron Fist is not a compelling character to base a series around. I've said that since they anbounced it in the first place. Without Power Man (Luke Cage) to play off of, the character is yet another in the long line of dry, tired Batman clones.

I'm digging Luke Cage right now.

I like the way they are threading some of the minor characters (and mentioning some of the major ones by name) into other series.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Anybody ever watch Awake?

Netflix keeps suggesting it and I'm wondering if it's worth a watch

I'm still a Big Bang Theory fan..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Quote:Anyone watch Rectify?

Pretty unique show.
I LOVE that show. 

Departures on Netflix is a cool show. S3 just came out this week. Two Canadians, well three with their cameraman, in their 20's who leave their lives behind and travel around the world and film it all. They actually got into Chernobyl and North Korea. It's a different way to see the world for sure. 

Travelers (Netflix) is pretty good. Unique and interesting. I just finished episode six and like the series so far. 

If you ever get the chance, check out The Last Alaskans. I'm not a fan of 'reality' shows but I caught this one quite by accident a couple of years ago and it's unlike anything else you'll see in that genre. I'd say it's in a league of its own. IMDB hasn't been updated with the new season info, S3 just started 3 weeks ago. Each season is only 8 episodes.