Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
TV Shows

Has anyone else seen Hap and Leonard? It's a Sundance channel show. I saw it on Netflix and watched the pilot episode last night. It's definitely different but I think I will like it because I like different. I never thought I would see James Purefoy play a redneck type. And everyone's southern accent is weird to hear compared to how I've heard them speak in the past. Especially Christina Hendricks. Going from Mad Men where she was very precise with her words to.... whatever it is she's speaking now, very different. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I had to give up on Ballers. Way too formulaic for me.

I just started The Travelers on Netflix. It has my attention so far.

Agreed.  They've basically tried to make it a pro sports version of Entourage.  Makes sense since Wahlberg's production company is responsible for the show.

Quote:My mornings are exactly the same every single day. I have to take my chemotherapy first thing, then rest for 2 hours afterward. So, after doing my prescription boogie, I lay down to 2 hours of Burn Notice re-runs. I have yet to find a show that captures me like that one does.

I really hope a new one comes out that does, because there is only so many times I can see a show before it begins to bore me.

Loved Burn Notice.  Bruce Campbell made that show great.

Quote:I watch a handful at the moment:

Game of Thrones - HBO

Taboo - FX

The Walking Dead - AMC

Vikings - History 

Black Sails - Starz

Black Mirrors - Netflix Original 

Peaky Blinders - Netflix Original 

Bloodline - Netflix Original 

Great show.  Unfortunately, Netflix scrapped it after season 3, so the last 10 episodes are all we'll get.  I do think that the show was starting to run it's course last season, so maybe that's a good thing.

One show that I loved when it was on has reemerged thanks to the Audience channel on DirecTV.  They're running Sons of Anarchy commercial free every night.  I forgot how great the writing was on that show.  

I tried to like the new 24, but that's falling well short of expectations. No Jack Bauer = major dud.

I won't mention anything about This is Us on NBC despite it being arguably one of the best shows on TV right now.

Did anyone watch Six on the History Channel?  That's another really strong show.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Has anyone else seen Hap and Leonard? It's a Sundance channel show. I saw it on Netflix and watched the pilot episode last night. It's definitely different but I think I will like it because I like different. I never thought I would see James Purefoy play a redneck type. And everyone's southern accent is weird to hear compared to how I've heard them speak in the past. Especially Christina Hendricks. Going from Mad Men where she was very precise with her words to.... whatever it is she's speaking now, very different. 
I tried to watch it, but couldn't get into the show.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote: 

Did anyone watch Six on the History Channel?  That's another really strong show.
I did watch that one. I thought they did a good job with showing both sides of the life of a SEAL. Being married to a regular Soldier is challenging enough and is why I'm beyond thankful I was a Soldier before I was the wife of one. Being married to a SPEC OPS would be even more so. A good friend of mine is married to a SPEC OPS guy who is deployed a lot and she handles it very well. It helps that they have a very strong marriage and the cornerstone of their life is their faith.

A lot of people were complaining that there wasn't enough action and the home life stuff was boring. The thing people don't get is the home life affects the job as much as the job affects the home life. These guys live conflicted lives. They love their families but they also love their jobs. My husband worked with a guy who was a Delta operator who refused to have kids until he retired. When he finally did at 38 he had such a hard time adjusting to civilian life he and his wife divorced and he never has remarried nor had kids. The sacrifices made by our military as a whole and SPEC OPS specifically go beyond what most people will ever know. 

For those who haven't seen it I put the spoiler tag here.

[spoiler]

It was interesting to see the transformation of RIP and how the job led to the end of his marriage and to his leaving the SEALs, to his 'redemption' with his experience in Africa. With that ending I have no idea if they're going to bring him back in S2. FWIW I thought Walton Goggins killed it. I wasn't sure I would see RIP instead of Boyd Crowder but after the first episode I was more than satisfied. Seeing Joe's transformation was also interesting. As team leader he has the weight of the responsibility RIP had and is finally beginning to understand how RIP fell down the rabbit hole even if he doesn't know it yet. 

The freaky part was seeing how these radical Islamists recruit folks. I didn't really think anything of the girl Michael was trying to recruit until we saw the end of the season finale. I was like- damn. And that recruiting is happening, I have no doubt. It's disconcerting to think people like that are (allegedly) running around this country just waiting for orders to execute. 

[/spoiler]

Sorry for the long response. 

Is it sad that I'm just now finally watching Firefly?

Quote:Is it sad that I'm just now finally watching Firefly?
Yes, but isn't it great?? I love that show. 

Quote:Yes, but isn't it great?? I love that show.
The Expanse put me in a SyFy mood and plenty of friends have recommended this show. Oh and it's pretty good so far.

Quote:Is it sad that I'm just now finally watching Firefly?

Better late than never. And don't worry the depression that comes when it's over doesn't last forever... probably...
"I'm gonna have to say NO to the reading of the Latin!"

Quote:Better late than never. And don't worry the depression that comes when it's over doesn't last forever... probably...
Ha depression from this show is something I keep hearing about.

The conlony on USA is another good one
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Rashad Jennings is on Dancing with the stars

[quote name="EricC85" post="986205" timestamp="1490058333"]

The conlony on USA is another good one[/quote I'll have to look into it.

Quote:Better late than never. And don't worry the depression that comes when it's over doesn't last forever... probably...

Quote:Ha depression from this show is something I keep hearing about.
It's why I watch the whole season and the movie about once a year. It reminds me of what good television is about. My only solace is that there weren't enough seasons to screw it up. Even so, I will never forgive Fox for cancelling it halfway through the season.

I was able to finish it and it is a great show. The best part personally for me was the movie itself and how serious and dark it became, which is why I think I like The Expanse more. I didn't get the "Oh [BLEEP]!" moment in Firefly until the movie when they fully understood the Reavers origins while in The Expanse you get hit with it the very first episode and multiple times throughout the first season. PS don't ever mess with Rivers brother.

I love watching Shameless.  It would be awesome if all families got along like they did (when their dad isn't around).

My son and I watched one show of "Series of Unfortunate Events" on Netflix.  Pretty funny, dry humor.  Neil Patrick Harris is great in it.

Quote:I was able to finish it and it is a great show. The best part personally for me was the movie itself and how serious and dark it became, which is why I think I like The Expanse more. I didn't get the "Oh [BAD WORD REMOVED]!" moment in Firefly until the movie when they fully understood the Reavers origins while in The Expanse you get hit with it the very first episode and multiple times throughout the first season. PS don't ever mess with Rivers brother.
To be fair, Fox cancelled it before it even began. Fourteen episodes. The only reason the movie got made is because fans went apoplectic when it was cancelled and hounded the living daylights out of Fox until Fox conceded and the movie was made to tie up loose ends. I don't mind if a show doesn't blow me out of the water starting with episode one as long as they give me something to pique my interest and keep me coming back. If you do too much at once and you don't have a plan laid out you set yourself up for failure. I haven't seen all of S1 of The Expanse yet, but what I have seen I like but nothing touches Firefly IMHO.

Quote:To be fair, Fox cancelled it before it even began. Fourteen episodes. The only reason the movie got made is because fans went apoplectic when it was cancelled and hounded the living daylights out of Fox until Fox conceded and the movie was made to tie up loose ends. I don't mind if a show doesn't blow me out of the water starting with episode one as long as they give me something to pique my interest and keep me coming back. If you do too much at once and you don't have a plan laid out you set yourself up for failure. I haven't seen all of S1 of The Expanse yet, but what I have seen I like but nothing touches Firefly IMHO.
Oh it was def a good show and my problem was assuming it was going to be a dark series like The Expanse which is more of what I like. The pilot and captain torture episode and movie were the episodes that I really enjoyed.

Dave Chapelles new specials just dropped on netflix last night

Quote:Oh it was def a good show and my problem was assuming it was going to be a dark series like The Expanse which is more of what I like. The pilot and captain torture episode and movie were the episodes that I really enjoyed.

Now that you've been introduced to the genius that is Joss Whedon, if you want something darker I suggest Dollhouse. Another one of his that got cancelled too soon but it did last 2 seasons.
"I'm gonna have to say NO to the reading of the Latin!"

I mentioned in this thread or another that I quit watching Daredevil in season 2.

Glad I picked it back up.

I don't know what it was about episode 1 of S2, but I'm glad I started watching it again.

Really good stuff.  The choreography of the combat is top notch, so much so I'm not even bothered by the fact someone blind could never pull it off.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."