Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bitcoin

Some day people will figure out that Federal Reserve notes are worth the same as Bitcoins. They only have value because someone you'll never meet says they do.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Some day people will figure out that Federal Reserve notes are worth the same as Bitcoins. They only have value because someone you'll never meet says they do.

Exactly!

Since our government (and others) abandoned the gold standard backing all currency, the paper in your pocket is only paper. It's value is set only by the fact that it always had value.
Signature goes here.

Quote:I don't use it.  I don't think that it really has any real value.

To me it's like baseball cards.

If folks were to stop believing in it, the value is nothing.

But like baseball cards, there are folks who have made a lot of real wealth from it and believe in it very much.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:It's really weird. The "value" of bitcoins is purely based on what people are willing to pay for them. There are Bitcoin exchanges out there where the value of one Bitcoin =$x and it fluctuates throughout the day.

As I'm typing this, 1 Bitcoin = $970.92

Apparently one guy bought $27 worth years ago and it's worth $886k now.

Like mentioned earlier, it's virtual Monopoly money that has a purely consumer driven value. If people don't want to buy them, they aren't worth anything. There's nothing backing it.

I think the appeal for people is the ability to pay for things anonymously

Where can I buy a bitcoin?

Quote:Don't buy into the hype. That Alex Jones guy on Infowars.com is hyping it up too as far as value, etc. 
Anything he hypes I avoid like the plague. 

Quote:This is getting crazy! Remember the movie Minority Report? I never thought this kind of stuff would actually happen, but it's happening. 
There are a lot of things seen in that and other movies I never thought would become real and a lot of it has. It's kind of freaky. And scary because it's not always the cool stuff but the, "We're going to invade every aspect of your life and there's nothing you can do about it" type stuff. 

Quote:Where can I buy a bitcoin?

You need a "wallet" I use the app "breadwallet"

As for buying them localbitcoins.com is the easiest/quickest way I feel. Basically you can initiate a trade with someone, deposit cash to a bank account and they deposit the Bitcoin. There's all sorts of ratings and reviews per user, much like eBay.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:And anyone wonders why California is broke.

It's interesting, your post gave me the idea of Googling, "Is California broke".   And what I found was, actually, California is not broke.   They had an 8 billion dollar surplus in 2015-2016, and they're projecting another surplus this year. 

Quote:It's interesting, your post gave me the idea of Googling, "Is California broke".   And what I found was, actually, California is not broke.   They had an 8 billion dollar surplus in 2015-2016, and they're projecting another surplus this year.

You don't hear about that being reported on much, do you?
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2017, 10:51 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Quote:Made my first purchase with it recently. It's a neat concept.

The only issue I have is the whole thing just feels illegal and sketchy. It's a pain to even get bitcoins to buy stuff with in the first place. Though the security of not using your CC or bank account is great.

~ 5 YEARS AGO the videographer for the band Edward Sharpe and the Magnificent Zeros posted their YouTube videos and requested 1 bitcoin for each viewer if they liked the video.  At that time, the bitcoin was listed at $15 each.  Given the current rate of $1,088 the dude would have made a fortune had everyone complied with his request.  Great Vision  !!

The bottom line is, bitcoins are worth absolutely NOTHING.  0  NADA.

The same thing could be said about a U.S. dollar, but the difference is that the dollar is backed by something mainly hinging on how the U.S. economy goes.  The dollar is much more stable than an unknown entity.

The difference is that a dollar is something that you can hold in your hand.  A bitcoin only exists online.

With that being said, people can choose to exchange bitcoins all they want, and some people might actually acquire something tangible from the exchange, but the fact of the matter is, bitcoins are a very stupid place to spend any money.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2017, 10:27 PM by EricC85.)

Fiat currency is Fiat bitcoin or dollars pick your poison.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2017, 10:51 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

The fact that one could easily trade 1 bitcoin for over $1,000 contradicts any statements that a bitcoin is worth nothing. 

Right now, the trade value of a bitcoin ($1,088) is greater than 1 share of Google Stock ($810)

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2017, 11:41 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Quote:The bottom line is, bitcoins are worth absolutely NOTHING.  0  NADA. - WRONG.  YOUR STATEMENT HERE IS CONTRADICTORY TO YOUR 4TH STATEMENT BELOW.

The same thing could be said about a U.S. dollar, but the difference is that the dollar is backed by something mainly hinging on how the U.S. economy goes.  The dollar is much more stable than an unknown entity. - THE FACT THAT THE USD$ IS MORE STABLE THAN A BITCOIN DOES NOT MEAN THE BITCOIN HAS NO VALUE

The difference is that a dollar is something that you can hold in your hand.  A bitcoin only exists online. -- WHAT'S YOUR POINT?  IF YOU CAN'T HOLD SOMETHING, THERE IS NO VALUE?  HOW OLD ARE YOU?

With that being said, people can choose to exchange bitcoins all they want, and some people might actually acquire something tangible from the exchange, but the fact of the matter is, bitcoins are a very stupid place to spend any money. LOL, TELL THAT TO THE PEOPLE THAT BOUGHT THEM FOR $15 OVER 5 YEARS AGO AND ARE CURRENTLY EXCHANGING THEM FOR $1,000+ DOLLARS.    ALSO, YOUR STATEMENT CONTRADICTS YOUR ORIGINAL STATEMENT ON LINE #1.  YES, THEY MAY ACTUALLY ACQUIRE SOMETHING TANGIBLE FROM THE EXCHANGE (LIKE $1,000) WHICH IS SLIGHTLY HIGHER THAN 1 SHARE OF GOOGLE STOCK.

MY RESPONSES ABOVE ..... WELCOME TO THE YEAR 2017.

Quote:MY RESPONSES ABOVE ..... WELCOME TO THE YEAR 2017.

a couple years ago I thought about getting into bitcoin and they were about 236$ at the time.  Really wish I would have gotten some.

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

Quote:MY RESPONSES ABOVE ..... WELCOME TO THE YEAR 2017.

I would also add that most people don't even hold their dollars in their hands anymore, their dollars are more or less numbers on a screen.  I mean as long as you can exchange your bitcoins for real goods than it's as good as any currency. 

so anyone want to collaborate on making a raspberripi mining super computer for bit coins?  

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

Quote:so anyone want to collaborate on making a raspberripi mining super computer for bit coins?

Kinda

Bovada takes Bitcoin.   The number 1 online sports betting site

(This post was last modified: 01-07-2017, 01:49 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

https://youtu.be/MtBjdAOO0ZM