Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

Quote:If the Browns wanted him so badly, why wouldn't they already have him?

They may have wanted to let the market to dictate his price vs what he was originally asking for in negotiations, which undoubtedly was higher.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It sounds as if no offer sheet has been made but the discussions are ongoing.  I hope they throw a pile of money at the guy and at least force Cleveland to shovel some cash in order to keep him.  

Make it happen Dave!

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/Jason_OTC'>Jason_OTC ‏<span style="color:rgb(177,187,195);">@Jason_OTC</span> </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/Jason_OTC/status/452574534806540288' title="6:32 PM - 5 Apr 2014">3m</a>
<p class="" style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;">Cap wise there is nothing <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/search?q=%23jaguars&src=hash'>#jaguars</a> can do to keep <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/search?q=%23browns&src=hash'>#browns</a> from matching. Browns have 30 mil with Mack already counting at 10

<p class="" style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;"> 

<p class="" style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;">That's the rub, though. The Browns essentially have 15 mil more in cap room...so the only reason I can see them not matching is if the Browns deem it to be a gross overpay. It's exciting and all and I hope it happens, but in reality I think we are simply doing their long term negotiations for them.

Quote: 

<div style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;">Jason_OTC ‏<span style="color:rgb(177,187,195);">@Jason_OTC</span>  3m
<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;">Cap wise there is nothing #jaguars can do to keep #browns from matching. Browns have 30 mil with Mack already counting at 10

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;">That's the rub, though. The Browns essentially have 15 mil more in cap room...so the only reason I can see them not matching is if the Browns deem it to be a gross overpay. It's exciting and all and I hope it happens, but in reality I think we are simply doing their long term negotiations for them.

</div>

I agree but up until this point, has anyone even visited with him?  I think if Dave took the time to bring him to town he has at least some confidence he can make it happen.  In the least the Browns will have to pony up a little more and not get him for "cheap" this way.  If I was Cleveland I'd have to consider hard on letting him go.  Yes they need him, he's a darn good center, but it's obvious the man doesn't want to play there anymore.  I think Mack is a good pro but will they get the max effort out of him if the situation doesn't turn around there?  I'm not so sure they do.  So they may overspend AND see his play drop some if they can't shore up their program.  That franchise turnover has to factor into player attitude at some point.

Glad they are at least trying to sign  him. Alex Mack will get a ton of dough either way.

A realistic contract number would be 25 million over 3 years guaranteed (5 years total) w/ 12-15 mil paid out in the first year.

Would anyone be opposed to that?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Glad to see they are at least persuing this. Mack is simply a lot better than any of the Center prospect in this years draft. 

With no offer sheet given, and Mack having left already; does anyone think that lower's our thinking we can get him? You think he was asking for too much? Seemed like the visit wasn't that long.

GO JAGS!

Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2014, 07:11 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:With no offer sheet given, and Mack having left already; does anyone think that lower's our thinking we can get him? You think he was asking for too much? Seemed like the visit wasn't that long.

GO JAGS!

It doesn't lower my expectations of getting Mack. This kind of a deal isn't like the normal FA ones. 

I give the Jags credit here. They are at least targeting the right guy. They may not be able to get it done. Cleveland has more cap space than we do so they have the upper hand. They can match anything we offer and then some. 

I think the Jags will give it their best shot without being stupid here. 

props to Caldwell here. 

Quote:A realistic contract number would be 25 million over 3 years guaranteed (5 years total) w/ 12-15 mil paid out in the first year.

Would anyone be opposed to that?
Actually no, that is what Cleveland would want to get the biggest portion already paid. The best chance I believe would be to make the biggest cap hits coming in 2015 when they have Haden/Sheard/Taylor/Cameron/Rubin as UFA, and 2016 when they have Gordon and Schwartz hitting FA.

Quote:Actually no, that is what Cleveland would want to get the biggest portion already paid. The best chance I believe would be to make the biggest cap hits coming in 2015 when they have Haden/Sheard/Taylor/Cameron/Rubin as UFA, and 2016 when they have Gordon and Schwartz hitting FA.

Good points. 

Quote:Actually no, that is what Cleveland would want to get the biggest portion already paid. The best chance I believe would be to make the biggest cap hits coming in 2015 when they have Haden/Sheard/Taylor/Cameron/Rubin as UFA, and 2016 when they have Gordon and Schwartz hitting FA.

Yea, Cleveland does have some talent coming up for new contracts sooner then we do.  That might tie their hands a little.  It will be interesting to see if it works out.  I am cautiously optimistic, but won't be floored if it doesn't happen.  Like TMD said, they are pursuing it and that means something even if they can't close the deal.

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

He's got to be praying he gets out of Cleveland. What a crap hole.

[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

Good point. What would be a realistic 3 year cap number in your eyes?

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2014, 07:29 PM by Stiggymaynne.)

Make it happen Dave

Quote:He's got to be praying he gets out of Cleveland. What a crap hole.

I grew up in Erie, just east of Cleveland.  Its not that bad of a city, it gets a bad rap, just like JAX.  That being said,  Jax is significantly better.  The weather is a million times better and the city is trending upwards as opposed to all of the rust belt cities that are struggling.  

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Quote:Good point. What would be a realistic 3 year cap number in your eyes?
Your 25 guaranteed over 3 is probably realistic or maybe even a little cheap, but it would probably need to be structured so that the 2nd and 3rd years are the 10 mil cap hits to give the Browns pause. 

But it all really comes down to the Browns. If they really want to keep him there's no amount of manipulation that can be done. They own the trump card on all fronts. 

Quote:Your 25 guaranteed over 3 is probably realistic or maybe even a little cheap, but it would probably need to be structured so that the 2nd and 3rd years are the 10 mil cap hits to give the Browns pause.

But it all really comes down to the Browns. If they really want to keep him there's no amount of manipulation that can be done. They own the trump card on all fronts.

True. But Cleveland is notorious for being cheap. I'm sure that there is a number that would make them back down.

Quote:He's got to be praying he gets out of Cleveland. What a crap hole.

Oh I don't doubt that Mack is hoping the Jags can seal the deal here. 

Quote:I grew up in Erie, just east of Cleveland.  Its not that bad of a city, it gets a bad rap, just like JAX.  That being said,  Jax is significantly better.  The weather is a million times better and the city is trending upwards as opposed to all of the rust belt cities that are struggling.  

plus no state income tax. I'm guessing Ohio does have that...