Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland matches Jags offer for Mack

Quote:Can't remember where or when it was but I recall someone asking Caldwell being asked about Mack and his transition tag and he replied by saying it's suspicious.....to paraphrase. Guess he continued to do his homework
He said "dicey" which is unpredictable or risky which transition tags are due to the opportunity for the team to match an offer.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2014, 08:54 PM by J-Mizzal.)

Quote:If the Browns wanted him so badly, why wouldn't they already have him?
Yup or franchised him i'm not sure if they could or not but yea  transition tag pretty means that wanna see what the guy can get and if its too much they will pass

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Quote:If the Browns wanted him so badly, why wouldn't they already have him?
Because Mack doesn't want to sign with the browns.

I read that he may not sign an offer just to prevent the browns from matching and locking him down long term. Two years at transition tag pay may be too much for the browns to stomach which would mean he gets released next year.

Quote:Yeah, i think Cleveland was foolish to transition him....he doesn't want to be there, and they won't be contending anytime soon. 

On a side note, why can't Cleveland contend any time soon? They have a good defense, pretty good oline (even if Mack leaves), two great ascending playmakers in Gordon and Cameron, good new RB in Tate, tons of cap room, and two first round draft picks. If they get a QB (or even if Hoyer plays like he did before getting hurt) they can certainly contend in that division IMO. 

Love it. Lets go DC get it done!!

LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

Ok, so it's being reported that the jags haven't made an offer is that correct? If I understand correctly, the browns wil have five days to match an offer if one was made. So, assuming Caldwell throw at least something out there, what is he waiting on for one, and do the browns take the whole time they have or is it customary for a team to think about it a day or so and say "see ya" ?

Guess I'm just being impatient and want to know what happens haha.

Quote:If we were able to grab Mack from Cleveland, this could potentially help us 2 - fold.

Now obviously a team would never take a Center at 4 in the draft but from what I understand, the whole right side of their line, Center - Guard - Tackle, would need upgrading. If this is true there could be a strong feeling of needing to draft some O-line help, possibly Greg Robinson to lock down the right side of their line.

If this is the case, it very well could put us in a great spot to trade down with a team who may have their hearts set on Robinson.

I almost brought up Greg Robinson....but figured there was no way they'd use that 3rd pick on him, would they?....

I think he'll be a flat out stud ORT or ORG, but the problem becomes having to re-sign 2 of that level Tackles with he and Joeckel for their 2nd contracts. Maybe thats something that shouldn't even be a concern...I dunno....but it was something I thought of. 

Quote:On a side note, why can't Cleveland contend any time soon? They have a good defense, pretty good oline (even if Mack leaves), two great ascending playmakers in Gordon and Cameron, good new RB in Tate, tons of cap room, and two first round draft picks. If they get a QB (or even if Hoyer plays like he did before getting hurt) they can certainly contend in that division IMO. 

Not a Tate fan here....but yeah I guess you are right....maybe they aren't as far away as I first assumed. 

Quote:He said "dicey" which is unpredictable or risky which transition tags are due to the opportunity for the team to match an offer.
Ok thanks for reminding....just remembered that when I read it it gave me the indication that he believed something questionable was being done by Cleveland but thanks for clarifying

Quote:I almost brought up Greg Robinson....but figured there was no way they'd use that 3rd pick on him, would they?....

I think he'll be a flat out stud ORT or ORG, but the problem becomes having to re-sign 2 of that level Tackles with he and Joeckel for their 2nd contracts. Maybe thats something that shouldn't even be a concern...I dunno....but it was something I thought of.

What I was trying to describe was a scenario where Cleveland felt pressure to draft O-line at #4, which could put a premium on our #3 pick with teams wanting to leapfrog Cleveland to get their O-lineman.

Another part of me is just ready to sign Mack and draft Robinson or Lewan and just make our O-line nasty for the foreseeable future. Then grab your QB in round two and give him a nice cushy pocket to operate in.

Or rather, Mack met with the Jaguars.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...r-possible

"It's believed that Mack's meeting with Jacksonville is his first with any team."

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Not a Tate fan here....but yeah I guess you are right....maybe they aren't as far away as I first assumed.

Yeah the difference between best teams in Nfl and worst isn't very big.

Quote:What I was trying to describe was a scenario where Cleveland felt pressure to draft O-line at #4, which could put a premium on our #3 pick with teams wanting to leapfrog Cleveland to get their O-lineman.

Another part of me is just ready to sign Mack and draft Robinson or Lewan and just make our O-line nasty for the foreseeable future. Then grab your QB in round two and give him a nice cushy pocket to operate in.

Do you think the whole thing about having to sign 2 players like Robinson & Joeckel to 2nd contracts in overblown then? If thats the case then maybe we really should start to consider taking Robinson at 3. I think he's legitimately BAP at that pick if there. 

Wow imagine - 

LT - Joeckel, LG- Beadles, C - Mack, RG - Pasztor, RT, Robinson (or flop the 2 right side players)....

That might be the best OL in football right there. 

Quote:What I was trying to describe was a scenario where Cleveland felt pressure to draft O-line at #4, which could put a premium on our #3 pick with teams wanting to leapfrog Cleveland to get their O-lineman.

Mitchell Schwartz is one of the best young RTs in the game. 

And drafting OT at 3 for us would be heinous. 

One thing that might tempt the Browns not to match an offer sheet for Alex Mack is to offer him a contract with more value than what LT Joe Thomas is getting.   Considering Thomas is viewed as a top of the line pass blocking LT in the peak part of his NFL career,  it would be an awkward situation if Mack had a better contract than Thomas.  The cost of paying Mack a contract along these lines is certainly high.  But if this isn't done,  what's the Browns incentive not to match an offer sheet?

And the key to any good team is a solid o-line. 

Look at the Falcons and Giants last year as they both had o-line problems and look at each teams record.  Both Ryan and Manning were running for their lives which made them both very "regular"

Quote:Mitchell Schwartz is one of the best young RTs in the game.

And drafting OT at 3 for us would be heinous.

That avatar of yours is heinous.

Having a top O-line to throw a rookie QB behind is smart.

Quote:That avatar of yours is heinous.

Having a top O-line to throw a rookie QB behind is smart.
You can have a top oline without two top 5 OT picks, the highest paid C in the league as this thread suggests, and another high paid LG. C'mon now let's use our heads...

Joeckel * Beadles * Mack * Yankey * Pasztor

...not bad.

Quote:Do you think the whole thing about having to sign 2 players like Robinson & Joeckel to 2nd contracts in overblown then? If thats the case then maybe we really should start to consider taking Robinson at 3. I think he's legitimately BAP at that pick if there. 

Wow imagine - 

LT - Joeckel, LG- Beadles, C - Mack, RG - Pasztor, RT, Robinson (or flop the 2 right side players)....

That might be the best OL in football right there. 
Except that Joeckel was bad in his limited showing this year, and Paztor is not a guard.