Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***OFFICIAL*** Baseball Thread 2014

Hopefully the Bucs can continue to play well. Last year was great and even though they faded the year or two before that, just being competitive has been a blast. I can hear the old organ at Three Rivers from my youth belting out 'Lets Go Bucs'
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

O's finally take one from Detroit, and against Verlander no less. Now it's off to the Bronx to kick off New York's season.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Rookie watch = Nick Castellanos from Detroit Tigers.  He is gonna be huge.

Quote:Rookie watch = Nick Castellanos from Detroit Tigers.  He is gonna be huge.

What makes you say that? He don't seem anything extraordinary to me, looking at his minor league pedigree....plus he's hitting low in that lineup, it will be harder to accumulate stats. 

There is an interesting situation right now in Minnesota where they have a player who's 30, Chris Colabello, who's been a sensation for them so far this year....and he basically has only been in their system for 2 years (minor leagues). Before that he was in the International league (which is pretty much made up of players that aren't good enough to crack the majors or has-beens that maybe at one time were MLB players but have regressed to age, or what not). 

Colabello, before entering their minor league system 2 years ago for the Twins, played like 8 years in the international league before finally getting his shot. He played in a few games last year with the big club as a 29 year old rookie. 

This year, he's playing everyday so far and also hitting in the prime spot of the lineup - no. 4, cleanup hitter. And he's leading the American League in RBI while hitting at a .370 clip. His numbers in AAA last year suggest that this might not be a fluke, either, as he hit 24 home runs in only 89 games. 

Quote:There is an interesting situation right now in Minnesota where they have a player who's 30, Chris Colabello, who's been a sensation for them so far this year....and he basically has only been in their system for 2 years (minor leagues). Before that he was in the International league (which is pretty much made up of players that aren't good enough to crack the majors or has-beens that maybe at one time were MLB players but have regressed to age, or what not). 

Colabello, before entering their minor league system 2 years ago for the Twins, played like 8 years in the international league before finally getting his shot. He played in a few games last year with the big club as a 29 year old rookie. 

This year, he's playing everyday so far and also hitting in the prime spot of the lineup - no. 4, cleanup hitter. And he's leading the American League in RBI while hitting at a .370 clip. His numbers in AAA last year suggest that this might not be a fluke, either, as he hit 24 home runs in only 89 games. 
TMD, who is your team?  Just curious.  I might have missed it earlier.

― Albert Camus

Quote:TMD, who is your team?  Just curious.  I might have missed it earlier.

The Phillies, however I also kinda like the Seattle Mariners...always have. 

Quote:The Phillies, however I also kinda like the Seattle Mariners...always have. 
My neighbor growing up was a huge Phillies fan. I was at Veterans stadium years ago watching the Cards and Phils.  That was back when they had Dutch behind the plate though, Kruk and the Wild Thing.  Oh, and Dykstra.  That was a good team!

― Albert Camus

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2014, 06:53 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:My neighbor growing up was a huge Phillies fan. I was at Veterans stadium years ago watching the Cards and Phils.  That was back when they had Dutch behind the plate though, Kruk and the Wild Thing.  Oh, and Dykstra.  That was a good team!

That sounds like the '93 team, yes that was a fun bunch to root for. They were pretty much together from 91 to about 95 but only really found success for that magical '93 season. They started off 17-5 that year and never looked back, culminating with the NL Pennant over the Braves. 

Quote:That sounds like the '93 team, yes that was a fun bunch to root for. They were pretty much together from 91 to about 95 but only really found success for that magical '93 season. They started off 17-5 that year and never looked back, culminating with the NL Pennant over the Braves. 
As a Pirates fan I am all for anyone beating the Braves!  

― Albert Camus

Quote:As a Pirates fan I am all for anyone beating the Braves!  

haha, yeah, you're still having nightmares about that 92 series, huh?.... who scored that last run? was that Sid Bream?...

Quote:haha, yeah, you're still having nightmares about that 92 series, huh?.... who scored that last run? was that Sid Bream?...
Yea, Bream,.  I actually had tickets to the World Series that year had Pittsburgh made it.  I was in 3 Rivers when they clinched the East.  That was back when clinching was a bigger deal because only 2 teams made the playoffs.  Also, there was no internet so we walked right down to the box office after the win and bought tickets for the World Series.  Never was a 12 year old's heart broken more by Sid Bream!!!!!

― Albert Camus

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2014, 07:19 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Yea, Bream,.  I actually had tickets to the World Series that year had Pittsburgh made it.  I was in 3 Rivers when they clinched the East.  That was back when clinching was a bigger deal because only 2 teams made the playoffs.  Also, there was no internet so we walked right down to the box office after the win and bought tickets for the World Series.  Never was a 12 year old's heart broken more by Sid Bream!!!!!

Yeah, that was one helluva series though, to come down to game 7 and the bottom of the 9th like that....Its just too bad you had to be on the [BAD WORD REMOVED] end of it. I also was rooting for the Pirates, but as a Phillies fan...

Tampa spanking NY tonight, and last night too.

Dan Uggla. Sometimes I just want to thump him in the head.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 04-20-2014, 08:08 PM by homebiscuit.)

Quote:Dan Uggla. Sometimes I just want to thump him in the head.

I think you would have to thump pretty hard to get his attention.  

I stopped following Uggla after the Marlins traded him away.  When he was with them I got to see him play an exhibition game with the Suns.  The guy is built like a fire plug.  Definitely not the prototypical second baseman.  The Suns game was the only time I've seen a pitcher apologize for hitting a batter.  The minor leaguer beaned Uggla (and this is when Uggla was at the height of his Marlins career).  Uggla glared at him and said words I'm not allowed to write here.  Silly boys.

Quote:I think you would have to thump pretty hard to get his attention.  

I stopped following Uggla after the Marlins traded him away.  When he was with them I got to see him play an exhibition game with the Suns.  The guy is built like a fire plug.  Definitely not the prototypical second baseman.  The Suns game was the only time I've seen a pitcher apologize for hitting a batter.  The minor leaguer beaned Uggla (and this is when Uggla was at the height of his Marlins career).  Uggla glared at him and said words I'm not allowed to write here.  Silly boys.

He drives me nuts. I'll give up on him, then he'll carry the team for a series.

- Bob Marley

What an ending to the Pirates/Reds game.  Mesoraco let that throw go through his hands.  Had he caught that it would have been a close call on the tag.

Raise The Jolly Roger!
TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Nice pitching duel in Atlanta tonight. Fernandez was great again, 3 hits given up, 14 Ks, Alex Wood rings up 11 Ks. Good baseball.

- Bob Marley