Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kirk Cousins

Okay, now that there is a chance that Cousins will be available at season's end, it's probably safe to talk about it now. You have to figure that Cousins will want a chance to start somewhere, and Dan Snyder isn't going to let it be in Washington (with all the $$$ and draft picks invested in RGIII) after this season. Given the issues that Shanahan is causing up there (thank God we didn't go after him after Del Rio), he'll most likely be gone and the new guy probably isn't going to want the drama of two starting QB's on the roster when RGIII IS the guy.

So, here's the question... The Jags have already played their way out of the first 5 picks of the draft (probably), so would you comfortable taking a bookend tackle like a Jake Matthews, or a pass rusher like an Anthony Barr in the first round if they are available... and sending a 2nd round pick to Washington for Cousins?

Discuss...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

What makes you think Kirk Cousins might be available after the season is over? He was drafted the day after Robert Griffin, who has struggled all year and is now on the bench. So what the Redskins have are two second-year starting quarterbacks.

Pretty easy to figure this one out. They have no draft picks, so they're going to let Kirk Cousins shine in hopes of trading him for a somewhat high draft pick in the offseason.

Not sure if Shanahan will even be the coach next year. Seems like too much drama to continue down that road up in DC.

Titansequaltrash aka my mini me. Follows me around like a cute puppy dog.

No. Draft your guy.

Also, there is no way this team drafts an O-lineman in the first round this year. We need an impact player whether it be QB or someone on defense.

I think Matthews would be a wasted pick, personally.  At least for the Jaguars.  I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in Cousins, but I'd hope we'd at least draft someone too.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Pretty easy to figure this one out. They have no draft picks, so they're going to let Kirk Cousins shine in hopes of trading him for a somewhat high draft pick in the offseason.

Not sure if Shanahan will even be the coach next year. Seems like too much drama to continue down that road up in DC.

Liar liar pants on fire. They have picks in every round except the first. If they want more, they can trade a guy they actually do not need anymore. They need Kirk Cousins.

I'd be ok with it if we could get a Barr/Clowney in the 1st.

Quote:I'd be ok with it if we could get a Barr/Clowney in the 1st.
you would trade a high 2nd round pick for a former 4th round pick with a low ceiling and just a handfull of starts?

Quote:I think Matthews would be a wasted pick, personally.  At least for the Jaguars.  I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in Cousins, but I'd hope we'd at least draft someone too.  

Exactly. 

People act as if Cousins is chopped liver or something. He's good. But the idea is even if you bring in Cousins (trade), you also draft a developmental QB. Regardless of what QB we bring in as the hopeful starter, I want them also to draft a developmental QB later in the draft. 

If Kirk Cousins plays well RGIII might be the guy the Redskins would want to shop, I don't think he'll ever be consistent from the pocket, just my opinion however.

Quote:If Kirk Cousins plays well RGIII might be the guy the Redskins would want to shop,

Entirely possible. Especially if the Redskins start to feel desperate about not having any 1st round pick. 

Quote:Pretty easy to figure this one out. They have no draft picks, so they're going to let Kirk Cousins shine in hopes of trading him for a somewhat high draft pick in the offseason.

A key point in the overall equation would seem to be something you touched on. Because of the likelihood that Mike Shanahan won't be the Redskins HC next season,  it remains to be seen what the true opinion of the next Redskins HC will have regarding Kirk Cousins. 

If the new Redskins HC evaluates Cousins as a winning caliber starting QB,  it's doubtful Cousins will be traded unless another team way overpays for his services.  

If the new Redskins HC believes Cousins is better suited to be a good # 2 QB,  my guess is the Redskins would accept a trade along the lines of Cousins for a 2nd round pick, in the upper half of the round.   With the demand for QB's noticeably higher than the supply,  my guess at this time is at least one team would give the Redskins the equivalent of a 2nd round pick in the top half of the round,  for Cousins.  Of course,  so much depends on what transpires the remainder of the 2013 regular season with Cousins,  as Cousins probably will be starting at least one of the remaining 3 games.

Quote:If Kirk Cousins plays well RGIII might be the guy the Redskins would want to shop, I don't think he'll ever be consistent from the pocket, just my opinion however.

Reports seem to indicate Robert Griffin's problem is his relationship with Mike Shanahan, who somebody claimed nearly quit last year. What the Redskins need is a head coach who likes Griffin.

Quote:Entirely possible. Especially if the Redskins start to feel desperate about not having any 1st round pick. 

They can trade someone else to get a first round pick. No way are they trading Kirk Cousins for it.

Quote:you would trade a high 2nd round pick for a former 4th round pick with a low ceiling and just a handfull of starts?

I didn't say that I'd trade a 2nd.

Quote: A key point in the overall equation would seem to be something you touched on. Because of the likelihood that Mike Shanahan won't be the Redskins HC next season,  it remains to be seen what the true opinion of the next Redskins HC will have regarding Kirk Cousins. 

If the new Redskins HC evaluates Cousins as a winning caliber starting QB,  it's doubtful Cousins will be traded unless another team way overpays for his services.  

If the new Redskins HC believes Cousins is better suited to be a good # 2 QB,  my guess is the Redskins would accept a trade along the lines of Cousins for a 2nd round pick, in the upper half of the round.   With the demand for QB's noticeably higher than the supply,  my guess at this time is at least one team would give the Redskins the equivalent of a 2nd round pick in the top half of the round,  for Cousins.  Of course,  so much depends on what transpires the remainder of the 2013 regular season with Cousins,  as Cousins probably will be starting at least one of the remaining 3 games.

That's true, I didn't even think of that. It will be a crazy game of wait and see for Redskin fans, that's for sure.

Quote:That's true, I didn't even think of that. It will be a crazy game of wait and see for Redskin fans, that's for sure.

The crazy wait and see game is actually Mike Shanahan's future. I don't think a single Redskins fan would tell you the team is thinking about trading a second-year starting quarterback.

Quote:If Kirk Cousins plays well RGIII might be the guy the Redskins would want to shop, I don't think he'll ever be consistent from the pocket, just my opinion however.

I feel there's no way they'd shop him, but I'd give up our first for him.

Quote:Exactly. 

People act as if Cousins is chopped liver or something. He's good. But the idea is even if you bring in Cousins (trade), you also draft a developmental QB. Regardless of what QB we bring in as the hopeful starter, I want them also to draft a developmental QB later in the draft. 

Cousins is good, and the idea here is that we could probably find a developmental guy in the 4th round or later. Cousins played well in the end of last season in RGIII's absence. I'm not sure what the knock is on him, especially if he plays well the rest of this season. 

Quote:I think Matthews would be a wasted pick, personally.  At least for the Jaguars.  I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in Cousins, but I'd hope we'd at least draft someone too.  

The only reason I would take a look at Matthews is that you traditionally get the big guys early. If we could have bookend tackles for the next 6-8 years, it would certainly help whatever QB we put under center. If we didn't go with an OL, I'd like to see an impact defensive player taken there, if there is one on the board.