Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "let's talk about" ll

(06-28-2020, 02:20 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(06-28-2020, 10:44 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: That's Florida. This isn't real soil, it's filthy sand. Unless you fortify the hell out of it, nothing good will grow to any productive size. It doesn't even smell like real dirt when it's turned.

You need to check out my place sometime.  I have roughly 5 acres of organic peat.  The soil is pretty much black and looks like "potting soil" which is what we have used it for.  I have several large palm trees (the kind that people pay big bucks for) that grew naturally there as well as lots of maple, hickory, oak and pine trees.

We also have another roughly 15 or so acres of very rich soil that we hope to start growing on soon.  It was once a blueberry farm that got overtaken by vines that we have been cleaning up and clearing.  I don't have a lot of sandy soil until I get up towards the top of the hill of our property where we are building our retirement home.

As far as the lot here in Jagsonville where we live, yes it's only good for growing weeds and [BLEEP] Bahia grass that needs mowing twice a week.

Blueberries do well in acidic soil with a PH around 5.5. 

Don't know if your replanting blueberries or something else but if you plant something that does better in neutral soil (most things) or alkaline soil it would probably be worth your time to have a soil test done to see what you're working with. 

That's assuming the previous guy planted blueberries due to the PH or modified the soil to their liking.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-29-2020, 05:55 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(06-28-2020, 04:53 PM)Rico Wrote: I played golf at Eagle Harbor today...

...or something loosely resembling golf.

........well, as long as you rallied late and brought your A game to the 19th hole......

If you're considering the cooler in the car with the assorted beer mix, I'm at expert level.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 07-01-2020, 08:35 AM by RicoTx.)

Well, back to Fort Worth this weekend to visit my daughters.  Will look around with my realtor before I make a final decision on whether to nix the move or not.  Already had this trip planned well before any job offers, just for a visit.

Should be lovely weather.  Looks to be over or around 100 for the next four days.  Wheeee.

(07-01-2020, 08:34 AM)Rico Wrote: Well, back to Fort Worth this weekend to visit my daughters.  Will look around with my realtor before I make a final decision on whether to nix the move or not.  Already had this trip planned well before any job offers, just for a visit.

Should be lovely weather.  Looks to be over or around 100 for the next four days.  Wheeee.

Good luck with whatever you choose big fella.

That is a monster fish

Catching a fish that's bigger than you are is a huge deal for anyone, but when you're an OT????
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Every time I venture over to the politics section I wonder why the [BLEEP] I've done it after less than a minute. Now I need a shower.

Veraison is upon us! 

It has revealed no berry cracking, minimal scarring, and minimal leaf senescence in a few 2nd leaf vines!

(07-08-2020, 02:11 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Veraison is upon us! 

It has revealed no berry cracking, minimal scarring, and minimal leaf senescence in a few 2nd leaf vines!

There you go making me look up words again.

It appears the tractor time paid off.

(07-08-2020, 07:47 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(07-08-2020, 02:11 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Veraison is upon us! 

There you go making me look up words again.

It appears the tractor time paid off.
Haha, many many grape growers would look at me funny for using a few of those terms.

I'll have to inspect more today because I saw one berry with possible ovipositor damage but for the most part I might have squeezed through the danger zone.

Well, after waffling back and forth, I'm moving. I close on a house in Haltom City just outside of Fort Worth on 8/18. I'm kinda nervous but anxious as well.

(07-08-2020, 09:31 PM)Rico Wrote: Well, after waffling back and forth, I'm moving.  I close on a house in Haltom City just outside of Fort Worth on 8/18.  I'm kinda nervous but anxious as well.

Good luck, Rico. A new beginning is always challenging, but exciting.

Wait! Did you check on local golf courses before you closed on that house?? Certain requirements must be upheld.

(07-09-2020, 08:50 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(07-08-2020, 09:31 PM)Rico Wrote: Well, after waffling back and forth, I'm moving.  I close on a house in Haltom City just outside of Fort Worth on 8/18.  I'm kinda nervous but anxious as well.

Good luck, Rico. A new beginning is always challenging, but exciting.

Wait! Did you check on local golf courses before you closed on that house?? Certain requirements must be upheld.

Not that I would investigate something like that...

...but three within 15 minutes.

Was just looking at some demographics and Fort worth ( 932,116 ) has almost the exact same population as Jax ( 926,371 ) but it is in a little less than 1/2 of the land area . Does traffic seem horrendous?
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(07-09-2020, 01:48 PM)Jagwired Wrote: Was just looking at some demographics and Fort worth ( 932,116 ) has almost the exact same population as Jax ( 926,371 ) but it is in a little less than 1/2 of the land area . Does traffic seem horrendous?

In spots.  The nice part of this job is that I'm only required to be in the office 14 days out of the month.  I can work at home the rest of the time.  And I'm pretty close to work.

Congrats and good luck with the move Rico.

Outside, lights out, storm raging!!! Love it. I can sit and watch this all night

I flew back to Texas for the home inspection today. Our house officially went on the market today. I was (pleasantly) shocked at what they are listing it for. Like to the tune of almost $100K more than I had in my head. I stand to make quite the tidy profit from the one-time foreclosure and will have a pretty minimal mortgage payment out here. Hell, my taxes will be more than the actual mortgage payment. Had a few minor issues come up with the inspection here, but nothing that will be a deal breaker. We close on 8/18 out here, so I'm soon to be a Texan.

Good Luck Rico
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!