Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "let's talk about" ll

Sorry for your loss BB4.... I know it's hard losing a loved pet
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-30-2021, 09:48 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Had to put my 17 year kitty down yesterday. Her liver had pretty much been replaced by cancer. 

Cancer sucks.

My condolences.. It's like losing a family member..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2021, 11:07 AM by The Real Marty.)

(03-30-2021, 09:48 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Had to put my 17 year kitty down yesterday. Her liver had pretty much been replaced by cancer. 

Cancer sucks.

I don't cry much when human family members die, for some reason.  The most I have cried is when my various dogs have died.  It is so sad because they are so sweet and pure hearted, never criticize, always happy to see you.  To them, you are the greatest person in the world and all they want in life is to be with you.  And, of course, some of whatever it is you're eating.

Sorry for your loss.

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2021, 11:26 AM by homebiscuit.)

Cancer sucks.

Sorry for your loss, Bunnie.

SpaceX's Starship 11 emerges from the fog upon landing.

https://twitter.com/TheFavoritist/status...14404?s=20

Thank you guys. Love
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2021, 02:00 PM by Jags.)

Sorry for your loss BB

(03-29-2021, 12:35 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: The captain of the container ship which was wedged across the Suez Canal is so fired.

He's so fired that he should look at getting a real estate license.

Isthmus be the only logical thing for him to do.

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2021, 02:16 PM by Jags.)

(03-30-2021, 06:18 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(03-29-2021, 07:23 PM)Jags Wrote: How many spaces (in 2021) after a period in a sentence before the next sentence in Email fashion?   Wife and I are having a bit of an argument.  I had her proofread and edit an email.  She’s wrong, I know it!   I just need some more ammo

Finally, my degree in journalism pays off! It's single space. The reason for double space is that typewriters used to be a bit inconsistent with spacing.

well, I can’t argue with a guy with a journalism degree.  However, I can still argue with my wife, haha. I was always taught in school to double space.  That is a fun little fact about it being 2 because of the typewriters.  Thanks for the info.  I won’t tell her she was right though.

(03-29-2021, 10:11 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-29-2021, 08:37 PM)Jags Wrote: Here’s a HB question, along with others that may have insight or curiosity.  I was watching a show that said the planets orbit the sun counterclockwise.  Well, that’s when viewed  from the sun’s northern pole.  When viewed from the southern pole it will be clockwise.  So, my question is multi parts.  Which is it?  Also, is the rest of the galaxy and galaxies all on the same plane?  Doesn’t make sense to me that everything is all on the same plane.  So is it a “flat” universe?  If so, wouldn’t that make all galaxies revolve around the same central entity?  Would that entity be a small part of others all doing the same thing?   Ugh.  Can go on and on.

Depending on the point of view, the planets would orbit CW or CCW. It's just human nature to view things from what we consider overhead. If someone likes to view things from the bottom, well, there's nothing wrong with that.

There's several types of galaxies but not all rotate on a common plane. Some don't even rotate. Our galaxy, as with other barred spiral galaxies, rotates on a plane because these types of galaxies orbit around super massive black holes which provide the tremendous gravity well that provides the counter force to matter traveling in a straight line. Thus, rotation. The black hole at the center of our Milky Way galaxy is called Sagittarius A* (the asterisk is pronounced as star). The Milky Way is about 150,000 light years across and about 10,000 light years thick at the center and rotates around an object with a gravitational pull so strong that it holds all of that matter captive. 

The universe does not operate on a plane. Galaxies are spread in all directions and form groups, clusters and filaments. Filaments are the largest known structures in the universe. They consist of hundreds of thousands of galaxies (each galaxy potentially hundreds of thousands of light years across) and are mind bogglingly immense in size - hundreds of millions of light years in length. Like the Sloan Great Wall. Amazingly, these galaxies are gravity bound into these immense structures even though they are several million light years distant from each other. For instance, the Milky Way and the Andromeda galaxy, which are part of a local group of galaxies, is 2.5 million light years distant and will collide in about 5 billion years because they are gravitationally attracted and are currently closing that distance at about 68 miles per second. For reference, a light year is equal to 5.8 trillion miles. 

To truly understand the immensity of space, you have to have your mind right. I've known people who didn't want to talk about it because it upsets their comfortable world view. To grasp it realistically illustrates just how delicately tentative life and our world actually are.
Ahhh, yes.  It’s all making sense to me now..
[Image: giphy.gif]

The short answer is solar systems and some galaxies move on a rotational plane. The universe does not. But galaxies do influence other galaxies by gravitational pull.

Or something...

Cancer sucks.

I'm so sorry to hear about this. Hugs!

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2021, 04:04 PM by The Real Marty.)

(03-30-2021, 02:05 PM)Jags Wrote:
(03-30-2021, 06:18 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Finally, my degree in journalism pays off! It's single space. The reason for double space is that typewriters used to be a bit inconsistent with spacing.

well, I can’t argue with a guy with a journalism degree.  However, I can still argue with my wife, haha. I was always taught in school to double space.  That is a fun little fact about it being 2 because of the typewriters.  Thanks for the info.  I won’t tell her she was right though.

(03-29-2021, 10:11 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Depending on the point of view, the planets would orbit CW or CCW. It's just human nature to view things from what we consider overhead. If someone likes to view things from the bottom, well, there's nothing wrong with that.

There's several types of galaxies but not all rotate on a common plane. Some don't even rotate. Our galaxy, as with other barred spiral galaxies, rotates on a plane because these types of galaxies orbit around super massive black holes which provide the tremendous gravity well that provides the counter force to matter traveling in a straight line. Thus, rotation. The black hole at the center of our Milky Way galaxy is called Sagittarius A* (the asterisk is pronounced as star). The Milky Way is about 150,000 light years across and about 10,000 light years thick at the center and rotates around an object with a gravitational pull so strong that it holds all of that matter captive. 

The universe does not operate on a plane. Galaxies are spread in all directions and form groups, clusters and filaments. Filaments are the largest known structures in the universe. They consist of hundreds of thousands of galaxies (each galaxy potentially hundreds of thousands of light years across) and are mind bogglingly immense in size - hundreds of millions of light years in length. Like the Sloan Great Wall. Amazingly, these galaxies are gravity bound into these immense structures even though they are several million light years distant from each other. For instance, the Milky Way and the Andromeda galaxy, which are part of a local group of galaxies, is 2.5 million light years distant and will collide in about 5 billion years because they are gravitationally attracted and are currently closing that distance at about 68 miles per second. For reference, a light year is equal to 5.8 trillion miles. 

To truly understand the immensity of space, you have to have your mind right. I've known people who didn't want to talk about it because it upsets their comfortable world view. To grasp it realistically illustrates just how delicately tentative life and our world actually are.

The amazing thing is, when the Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies finally do collide, probably none of the stars will collide, because they are so far apart.  The two galaxies will very slowly get pulled out of shape by gravity.

Here's a computer model of what will happen:  

https://www.amnh.org/explore/videos/spac...g-galaxies

(03-30-2021, 04:02 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-30-2021, 02:05 PM)Jags Wrote: well, I can’t argue with a guy with a journalism degree.  However, I can still argue with my wife, haha. I was always taught in school to double space.  That is a fun little fact about it being 2 because of the typewriters.  Thanks for the info.  I won’t tell her she was right though.

The amazing thing is, when the Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies finally do collide, probably none of the stars will collide, because they are so far apart.  The two galaxies will very slowly get pulled out of shape by gravity.

Like women’s boobs over time!  I’m starting to understand.  

Thanks for the link.  I’ll check it out.  Space is fascinating.  The more I watch about it, the more questions that arise.  Maybe that’s why it’s called “deep” space, ha.

Cancer sucks.

Sorry to hear that Bunnie. Had to put down a very old dog a few years ago from the same problem, it was terrible.

(03-30-2021, 04:02 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-30-2021, 02:05 PM)Jags Wrote: well, I can’t argue with a guy with a journalism degree.  However, I can still argue with my wife, haha. I was always taught in school to double space.  That is a fun little fact about it being 2 because of the typewriters.  Thanks for the info.  I won’t tell her she was right though.

There's lots of pictures of colliding galaxies. This is my favorite and is my desktop background. 

Meet Arp 273. Isn't it like a piece of art? I seriously would like to get a print to hang on my wall.

[Image: 1200px-UGC_1810_and_UGC_1813_in_Arp_273_...scope).jpg]

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2021, 09:29 PM by homebiscuit.)

That'll learn 'im.

Cops: Man attacking girlfriend gets punched, knocked down by woman at bowling alley (live5news.com)

[Image: dupree.jpg?ve=1&tl=1]

(03-30-2021, 03:29 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:

Cancer sucks.

I'm so sorry to hear about this. Hugs!

(03-30-2021, 05:07 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:

Cancer sucks.

Sorry to hear that Bunnie. Had to put down a very old dog a few years ago from the same problem, it was terrible.

Thank you.

You don’t realize how much of your life is wrapped around the little floofballs until they aren’t there anymore. Working from home, my kitty was my constant, silent (mostly lol) partner. She was just always around me whatever I was doing.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

This is awesome.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/marine-father...ral-report

(04-01-2021, 09:20 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: This is awesome.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/marine-father...ral-report

That brought a tear to (or two..) to my eyes.  I showed my wife, she too had tears.  That is indeed, awesome!   Thanks for sharing that.

Damn it, I came down to Jacksonville to get warm...... I find I'm in the same weather I just left in Maryland....... What Gives????
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

(04-02-2021, 03:30 PM)The Drifter Wrote: Damn it, I came down to Jacksonville to get warm...... I find I'm in the same weather I just left in Maryland....... What Gives????

Global warming climate change.  Give it a day or two and you will be [BLEEP] about how hot it is.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.