Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "let's talk about" ll

The Jack Out thread reminded me of this, but thought it would be better here.

So this was many a year ago when I was working in computer operations on night shift.  My manager's name was Jack Callahan.  We had three 'co-supervisors' on each shift, I was one.  The one supervisor, Wendy, who happened to be in charge of the print area that evening was looking for our manager and came to me and said, "Jack off tonight?"

She suddenly realized what she had asked and hurriedly left my desk....
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-15-2021, 10:13 AM)RicoTx Wrote: The Jack Out thread reminded me of this, but thought it would be better here.

So this was many a year ago when I was working in computer operations on night shift.  My manager's name was Jack Callahan.  We had three 'co-supervisors' on each shift, I was one.  The one supervisor, Wendy, who happened to be in charge of the print area that evening was looking for our manager and came to me and said, "Jack off tonight?"

“Clever girl. You’ve read my mind.”

I once parked in a parking spot while my wife was with me.  It was a funny angle. (Tyrone when you drive in reveres, things come from behind you.) I park the truck then asked “am i straight”? We had our laughs.  So I guess we all do it. 

And for some reason, I need to point out (since Rico brought it up) this he-she doing the she wee just happened to be at a racetrack as well.  It’s funny, we stop at this gas station and we continuously ask ourselves, where the [BLEEP] are we keeping these people??  You go to any other station off the 210 corridor and it’s all the normal folk you encounter daily.  But this RaceTrac is different.

OK, it's almost 2am and I'm feeling Philosophical again. Yeah I've downed a couple of brews and a few shots of whiskey but...... sometimes, that's when I do my best thinking and realize how important the little things in life, that most of us take for granted are..... so here's my rant......

It's been almost 5 years since my Father passed away. I will always remember what I was doing when I got the text that he did. My Mom, been almost 2 years. When I saw her at the hospice, nearly wasted away and not the person I know, I damn near cried. I wish I did. Before I left I told her to rest and that I did always love her. My Parents raised me, and my brother the best they could. They were very active in our lives and always provided what we needed, not always what we wanted, but what we needed. I miss them every day. I would give anything in the world just to hear their voices again, yeah we had our differences but, that's any child/parent relationship. NO one, and I mean no one, can take the place of your parents, all you can do is, respect them, and take the lessons they tried to teach you in life (No mater how long they take to set in, it could be long after they're gone) and be the best person you can be. Yeah, they showed me tough love at times, but I know I needed it, and I would not be the person I am today if they didn't. Cherish the memories, learn from the lessons, no matter how hard they may have been, that they taught you, and carry on their memory, and pass their wisdom, and their lesson, in your own way, to your children.

Yeah, I'm over 60 years old, but I still need my Mom.....
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

I am at my mom and step dad's house for the weekend. We live in the same county but on opposite ends and we don't see each other as much as we want to. Some of her health issues have been especially hard this past week so I packed my bag and told my husband I'd see him Monday. He's working so it's not a big deal for him.

The older the parents get (she's 70 and he's 76) and the more their health is in decline, the more I realize we do not have time on our side anymore and it freaks me out. I know there will come a day when she won't return a text I sent or he won't be here when I come by for a visit.

I'm sorry you're missing your mom.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com...91611/amp/

This has lots of potential!!

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(10-18-2021, 01:53 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com...91611/amp/

I’ll watch it.  Hard to see his wife in that role when all I think of is her in “The Devils Rejects” saying “Tuti [BLEEP] fruity” or “Chinese Japanese dirty knees, look at these”

I’m sure she’ll do just fine

(10-18-2021, 01:53 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com...91611/amp/

I hope it isn't butchered with crude and base script. The big appeal of these shows, even today, is the presentation of the macabre with innocent humor. More mature humor is achievable if done artfully.

I get a lead from my nephew on my wife’s side from friends he knows in Beachwalk. The only interaction I’ve had with the home owner is after I was texted the contact info from my nephew and clarifying with them that they wanted a tree and other stuff removed, then set up the date and time for estimate. Apparently my nephew hangs out with these guys. I arrive and ring the bell. I’m greeted by the wife of the guy I was referred to. I introduced myself. “Hi I’m [name]”. Keep in mind, I and an employee are two feet apart sporting our work shirts that fully display who we are. She replied with “Oh your [name] from…Johns cousin [name]? I couldn’t help myself. So I simply replied “Yes, I’m [name] from John’s cousin [name].”

Idk why, but I got a kick out of it. When people answer the door and speak youve got only a few milliseconds to decide what kind of person they are. Some you can have fun with, others have a stick in their [BLEEP]. I was right, she was cool. Got the job.

Witness the stamina, speed and strength of a grizzly bear. Another reason not to live in Alaska. Not gory.

https://youtu.be/DqwYUkJYRQc

(10-15-2021, 10:31 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(10-15-2021, 10:13 AM)RicoTx Wrote: The Jack Out thread reminded me of this, but thought it would be better here.

“Clever girl. You’ve read my mind.”

^ Spoken in Darrell Hammond as Sean Connery voice.

(10-20-2021, 10:18 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Witness the stamina, speed and strength of a grizzly bear. Another reason not to live in Alaska. Not gory.

https://youtu.be/DqwYUkJYRQc

I have a cousin that lives in Alaska. She’s always post the big [BLEEP] bears just traipsing around her yard. I wouldn’t be able to nope the hell out of there fast enough!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

OpenET launched today. 

Everyone keep calm!

(10-21-2021, 04:18 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: OpenET launched today. 

Everyone keep calm!

So...anybody can be an alien?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 10-21-2021, 07:56 PM by Jags. Edited 2 times in total.)

Everyone keep calm!

Only halfway skimmed an article about it.  From what I gather, they’re trying to Figure out where the water goes and such as far as evaporation and such.  Find better ways to use it and so forth. Something about helping farmers.  I skimmed because it seemed to be a well, duh! thing. And the big words were bigger than what I was taught in my dumb classes.  Water evaporation happens faster during peak of the day and not so much at night.  What does this do or can do to help one like yourself? Or does it just give you new “satellite blues”?  Haha , couldn’t help adding that song in there.

(10-21-2021, 07:54 PM)Jags Wrote:

Everyone keep calm!

Only halfway skimmed an article about it.  From what I gather, they’re trying to Figure out where the water goes and such as far as evaporation and such.  Find better ways to use it and so forth. Something about helping farmers.  I skimmed because it seemed to be a well, duh! thing. And the big words were bigger than what I was taught in my dumb classes.  Water evaporation happens faster during peak of the day and not so much at night.  What does this do or can do to help one like yourself? Or does it just give you new “satellite blues”?  Haha , couldn’t help adding that song in there.

ET is a measurement of the transfer of water vapor from plant tissue to the atmosphere. I guess you can think of it like a plant sweating. It's a method used to measure both plant water needs and plant water use. 

Currently, there's 3ish good methods to determine water needs. You can measure the water in the soil with a tensiometer, crush green plant tissue and see how much water you can extract from it, or use ET measurement. I use ET myself because doing math is a lot cheaper than tensiometers and pressure bombs. 

To do that, UC Davis keeps something like a 1 inch tall plot of grass and measures its water use by weighing it in a lysimeter. That gives you a Reference ET. Then I would need to calculate a coefficient based on the crop I grow, canopy size, growth stage, a bunch of junk. 

That will give me a crop ET that I can use to determine how many gallons either an acre or per vine to apply. Then I take a reading of how many gallons per minute my pump is putting out and can figure out how long it needs to run to apply the correct amount of gallons per vine. Just a lot of time consuming math and conversions.

This program gives a daily output of specific ET needs. It already knows I grow grapes and it'll just tell me each day, put on 6 inches of water dummy. So it does help make life easier. I've already used it just today to determine my irrigation system has terrible uniformity. I can also see the sandy streaks in the field because they're dryer, kinda crazy. 

But... we also have quite a few water laws going into effect in January. So the other side of this program is EVERYONE can can see to the inch how much water every other person is using on a daily, weekly, monthly and annual basis. 

Personally, I've been under the current limit for a few years so I'm mostly good with it, but there's a lot of "water barons" that probably aren't going to be very happy next year.

Also, I think it's just kinda cool that they can measure how much water you're using from space by what the plants sweat off.

https://youtu.be/kAqIJZeeXEc

(10-22-2021, 03:51 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(10-21-2021, 07:54 PM)Jags Wrote: Only halfway skimmed an article about it.  From what I gather, they’re trying to Figure out where the water goes and such as far as evaporation and such.  Find better ways to use it and so forth. Something about helping farmers.  I skimmed because it seemed to be a well, duh! thing. And the big words were bigger than what I was taught in my dumb classes.  Water evaporation happens faster during peak of the day and not so much at night.  What does this do or can do to help one like yourself? Or does it just give you new “satellite blues”?  Haha , couldn’t help adding that song in there.

ET is a measurement of the transfer of water vapor from plant tissue to the atmosphere. I guess you can think of it like a plant sweating. It's a method used to measure both plant water needs and plant water use. 

Currently, there's 3ish good methods to determine water needs. You can measure the water in the soil with a tensiometer, crush green plant tissue and see how much water you can extract from it, or use ET measurement. I use ET myself because doing math is a lot cheaper than tensiometers and pressure bombs. 

To do that, UC Davis keeps something like a 1 inch tall plot of grass and measures its water use by weighing it in a lysimeter. That gives you a Reference ET. Then I would need to calculate a coefficient based on the crop I grow, canopy size, growth stage, a bunch of junk. 

That will give me a crop ET that I can use to determine how many gallons either an acre or per vine to apply. Then I take a reading of how many gallons per minute my pump is putting out and can figure out how long it needs to run to apply the correct amount of gallons per vine. Just a lot of time consuming math and conversions.

This program gives a daily output of specific ET needs. It already knows I grow grapes and it'll just tell me each day, put on 6 inches of water dummy. So it does help make life easier. I've already used it just today to determine my irrigation system has terrible uniformity. I can also see the sandy streaks in the field because they're dryer, kinda crazy. 

But... we also have quite a few water laws going into effect in January. So the other side of this program is EVERYONE can can see to the inch how much water every other person is using on a daily, weekly, monthly and annual basis. 

Personally, I've been under the current limit for a few years so I'm mostly good with it, but there's a lot of "water barons" that probably aren't going to be very happy next year.

Also, I think it's just kinda cool that they can measure how much water you're using from space by what the plants sweat off.

That’s pretty slick there.  I’m sure as a farmer, you’re very well aware of how much you need to water your crops.  But I find it pretty damn cool there is such high tech gadgets and satellites making life easier.  Have you done your normal math against this yet,  how much, if any, did it vary?

Also, you use 6” of water in your post. Is that normal for a crop? I understand different plants take different amounts of water. Some more, some less. I know over here with our sandy soils 6” of rain in a short period would flood a bunch of areas around town, yet subside over a few days. Watching the news, we see droughts then heavy rains in Ca then hear about landslides. So how many inches do you normally supply to the grapes in any given timeframe? Secondly, do you find the irony is supplying so much water to a grape only to dehydrate it to make raisins? Wouldn’t it be nice to poorly water the grapes to produce the final product off the bat?

(10-22-2021, 07:18 PM)Jags Wrote:
(10-22-2021, 03:51 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: ET is a measurement of the transfer of water vapor from plant tissue to the atmosphere. I guess you can think of it like a plant sweating. It's a method used to measure both plant water needs and plant water use. 

That’s pretty slick there.  I’m sure as a farmer, you’re very well aware of how much you need to water your crops.  But I find it pretty damn cool there is such high tech gadgets and satellites making life easier.  Have you done your normal math against this yet,  how much, if any, did it vary?

Looks like I had myself down for 24.5 acre-inches of water and they had me at 22.76 and 25.52 on the smaller block. But my pump meter is like an analog speedometer type dial. So guessing between 10-15 gallons per minute on the dial can be tough and that can add up over the course of the year. 

It has a more accurate odometer type reading too so I'll have to add that up and get a more accurate reading. Sounds like it's pretty damn close though.