Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ode to "let's talk about" ll

(03-22-2019, 08:00 AM)Rico Wrote: Little story on my Myrtle Beach trip this year.  My long time friend (who is currently living in CA) and I get together for golf every year.  Usually in Myrtle Beach, but we've been other places as well.  On occasion we'll bring our wives but it is usually a guy trip.  Well I ran into a couple of friends on LinkedIn that I used to work with in PA before I moved down here in 1991.  Turns out that they do a Myrtle Beach trip every year, so my friend in CA and I will be joining that group this year.  He was also an employee of that same company so he will know everyone as well.  So long story even longer...I'll be hanging out with guys that I haven't seen for almost 30 years.  I'm really looking forward to it this year.  It should be fun.  You know...a bunch of 60+ year olds trying to act young for a few days.

That is cool that your trips aren't going to be ruined ... at least I hope everything goes as planned, and you perform as well as you would without having the injury.

Does the group you are getting in with have the Hotel setup their trips? I went for many years (10+) with a large group (32 players), and the Hotel would have packages. Depending on how nice of courses you wanted to play would have different cost.  They would have 5 different level course groups to choose from. You would pick a package that allowed so many high end courses, and then so many of the other 4 … We would generally pick a package that allowed 4 top end courses, and 4 of the next level down. We only paid the hotel for the entire package, cart included (we have stayed all over the MB area, and they all do this). The group I went with every year had 32 players, and we would usually play 27 holes, sometimes more per day (separate deal made with the course after the initial 18 holes).

The reason I bring this up is the cost was insanely cheap when you do a package for a group. We would go at the beginning of their off-season and play eight straight days. Having 16 rooms (or Condos) and 32 guys gave them a reason to put some really great packages together for us.  The Hotels had the ability to get better cost to work better packages for us to lower our individual cost because we had so many players.

I love Golf in Myrtle Beach, they have some awesome Golf Courses … Any in particular you are playing this trip you are looking forward to most? One of my favorites is/was Marsh Harbour which was just across the line into NC … But I hear it is closed now. Too bad, I got a carryover skin there that netted me almost two hundred bucks, and won another hundred on the team bets. Yep, one of my favorites for sure. Banana

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-22-2019, 03:55 PM by Jags.)

Sounds like a sequel to the hangover movies.  

Sounds like a fun trip and I don’t even like golf.

Also, glad to hear you’re not dying. Cause if you were, it sounds like it would be a sequel to weekend at Bernie’s.

(This post was last modified: 03-22-2019, 05:28 PM by Jags.)

So, I’m headed home and there are these 2 girls in my neighborhood waiving a sign.  From the distance, I can tell it’s a lemonade stand.   Awe, how cute.  Then I saw the price.  I swear to you, the price was 5 dollars!  WTH?  That better be made from Voss water and real lemons or have cocaine or whatever drug in it.  It’s 73 degrees out.   Supply and demand.  Damn 3rd graders need to take an economics class.  

Aside from that, the weather is freaking awesome!!!  So I’m doing the grilled low country boil thing.  Idk why, just sounded good.  Old Bay....  Mmm. I think I can just eat that by the spoonful.  So, I’ll be enjoying that with my lemonade.

(03-22-2019, 03:27 PM)Sammy Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 08:00 AM)Rico Wrote: Little story on my Myrtle Beach trip this year.  My long time friend (who is currently living in CA) and I get together for golf every year.  Usually in Myrtle Beach, but we've been other places as well.  On occasion we'll bring our wives but it is usually a guy trip.  Well I ran into a couple of friends on LinkedIn that I used to work with in PA before I moved down here in 1991.  Turns out that they do a Myrtle Beach trip every year, so my friend in CA and I will be joining that group this year.  He was also an employee of that same company so he will know everyone as well.  So long story even longer...I'll be hanging out with guys that I haven't seen for almost 30 years.  I'm really looking forward to it this year.  It should be fun.  You know...a bunch of 60+ year olds trying to act young for a few days.

That is cool that your trips aren't going to be ruined ... at least I hope everything goes as planned, and you perform as well as you would without having the injury.

Does the group you are getting in with have the Hotel setup their trips? I went for many years (10+) with a large group (32 players), and the Hotel would have packages. Depending on how nice of courses you wanted to play would have different cost.  They would have 5 different level course groups to choose from. You would pick a package that allowed so many high end courses, and then so many of the other 4 … We would generally pick a package that allowed 4 top end courses, and 4 of the next level down. We only paid the hotel for the entire package, cart included (we have stayed all over the MB area, and they all do this). The group I went with every year had 32 players, and we would usually play 27 holes, sometimes more per day (separate deal made with the course after the initial 18 holes).

The reason I bring this up is the cost was insanely cheap when you do a package for a group. We would go at the beginning of their off-season and play eight straight days. Having 16 rooms (or Condos) and 32 guys gave them a reason to put some really great packages together for us.  The Hotels had the ability to get better cost to work better packages for us to lower our individual cost because we had so many players.

I love Golf in Myrtle Beach, they have some awesome Golf Courses … Any in particular you are playing this trip you are looking forward to most? One of my favorites is/was Marsh Harbour which was just across the line into NC … But I hear it is closed now. Too bad, I got a carryover skin there that netted me almost two hundred bucks, and won another hundred on the team bets. Yep, one of my favorites for sure. Banana

We generally stay in condos.  My friend in CA and I usually play four rounds in fours nights.  These guys that we joined up with this year play five in five.  We generally go to Myrtle...probably a good 20 times now...but have also been to Phoenix, Houston, and some courses around my friend's house outside on San Fran.  Man, I'm probably well over fifty different courses that I've played in Myrtle now.  I love it there.  We play mid-upper to upper tier cost-wise courses.  These guys that we are going with this year do some sort of gambling.  I think we have to put in $65 each.  Since it's usually just my friend and I...we don't gamble.  But what the hell, I'm game.  I'm just there to play golf and carouse.  If I happen to win a little money...even better.  I'm sure there will be ample opportunity to win some poker money as well.

I pick up my friend at the airport from his flight in and we drive up Tuesday night.  We're going a night early because we don't want to drive up and play on the same day...which is what most of these other guys do (only they're driving down from PA).

Here's our agenda this time.  I've  played Myrtlewood and Myrtle Beach National South Creek.  Myrtlewood is average.  But we stay at the Myrtlewood Condos and they always stick you on the 'home course' for a round.  South Creek was nice.  Looking forward to the other three.  The look pretty cool online.

Burning Ridge Golf Club     - April 10th 1:02 pm
Grande Dunes                  - April 11th  9:15am
Myrtlewood Palmetto        - April 12th  - 10:45 am
MBN South Creek             - April 13th  9:02 am
Wild Wing Avocet             - April 14th  8:24 am

I think there are 16 in the group.  Looking forward to seeing the guys that I used to hang with 28 years ago.  Should be fun.

Crap, that reminds me.  I lived in PA for 27 years.  I've been in FL for 28+ now.  I guess I'm a resident.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2019, 10:58 AM by RicoTx.)

Well, I practiced four games of bowling on Sunday so it appears that I am a go for the USBC National Bowling Tournament in Vegas this weekend.  Still a bit sore, but manageable.

As for my shoulder, and golf in Myrtle....I'm on hold with Southeast Orthopedic now.  I'm going (and playing) to Myrtle but I need to have this shoulder looked at and find out what's going on.

(03-25-2019, 08:56 AM)Rico Wrote: Well, I practiced four games of bowling on Sunday so it appears that I am a go for the USBC National Bowling Tournament in Vegas this weekend.  Still a bit sore, but manageable.

As for my shoulder, and gold in Myrtle....I'm on hold with Southeast Orthopedic now.  I'm going (and playing) to Myrtle but I need to have this shoulder looked at and find out what's going on.

Glad you can roll - hope you get good news on the shoulder.

So I went to BchBunnie's favorite WalMart at lunch yesterday. to get some bag tags for my luggage.

Talk about some lunchtime entertainment...

(03-27-2019, 07:26 AM)Rico Wrote: So I went to BchBunnie's favorite WalMart at lunch yesterday. to get some bag tags for my luggage.

You should try going at 3AM.

(03-27-2019, 07:26 AM)Rico Wrote: So I went to BchBunnie's favorite WalMart at lunch yesterday. to get some bag tags for my luggage.

She can draw a crowd in there.

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2019, 08:07 AM by RicoTx.)

(03-27-2019, 07:57 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

If she looks somewhat normal she could.  What a wide assortment of individuals in there yesterday.  Sheesh.

On a side note, it's very upsetting that the Gator Lodge no longer exists.  They changed the name to the Midtown Motel (I think)...but it still has the huge gator painted on the one wall.  Actually, looking around for the name I ran across this article.  It was actually pretty interesting.  It is a long read.

(03-27-2019, 07:50 AM)DragonFury Wrote:

I'm not that brave.

It’s a whole other world there, isn’t it? Did you play “hooker or not”?

(03-27-2019, 07:50 AM)DragonFury Wrote:

It wouldn’t be as entertaining, it’s not open that late.

(03-27-2019, 07:57 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

Ninja
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

For those of you that know (and for those that don't know) Back in January I had hip replacement surgery and this is the update

Looks like it's time to get a 2nd opinion on my hip. It's getting worse and worse everyday. I can barely walk in the morning. I'm beginning to thing my surgeon screwed up something because if I sit for more than 5 minutes, I can't put any weight on the leg. Just seems like my recovery is going in reverse instead of forward.
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

(03-27-2019, 10:54 AM)The Drifter Wrote: For those of you that know (and for those that don't know) Back in January I had hip replacement surgery and this is the update

Looks like it's time to get a 2nd opinion on my hip. It's getting worse and worse everyday. I can barely walk in the morning. I'm beginning to thing my surgeon screwed up something because if I sit for more than 5 minutes, I can't put any weight on the leg. Just seems like my recovery is going in reverse instead of forward.

That’s not good! Definitely get another opinion!

Quote:
(03-27-2019, 07:50 AM)DragonFury Wrote: You should try going at 3AM.

It wouldn’t be as entertaining, it’s not open that late.
There are WalMarts that close? I thought they were all just 24 hour stores?

(03-27-2019, 11:33 AM)DragonFury Wrote:
Quote:It wouldn’t be as entertaining, it’s not open that late.
There are WalMarts that close? I thought they were all just 24 hour stores?

A lot of them close at midnight now.

Well, my wife dropped me off at work since my friend is picking me up here to head for our flight to Vegas at 3:00.  Since I didn't drive today I had no car to get to lunch.  So I walked over the six lanes of Philips Highway near JTB to Whatta Burger.  

The good news is that I made it both ways and back to work without getting killed...so I'm still heading to Vegas.

(03-29-2019, 11:51 AM)Rico Wrote: Well, my wife dropped me off at work since my friend is picking me up here to head for our flight to Vegas at 3:00.  Since I didn't drive today I had no car to get to lunch.  So I walked over the six lanes of Philips Highway near JTB to Whatta Burger.  

The good news is that I made it both ways and back to work without getting killed...so I'm still heading to Vegas.

"Fear and Bowling in Las Vegas" 

starring Johnny Depp, Jeff Bridges, and Rico as "the Jesus."

(03-29-2019, 11:51 AM)Rico Wrote: Well, my wife dropped me off at work since my friend is picking me up here to head for our flight to Vegas at 3:00.  Since I didn't drive today I had no car to get to lunch.  So I walked over the six lanes of Philips Highway near JTB to Whatta Burger.  

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSbHHsPGlxvpzFXANrelR...aEercE1xUA]
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(03-29-2019, 12:27 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

"Fear and Bowling in Las Vegas" 

starring Johnny Depp, Jeff Bridges, and Rico as "the Jesus."

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=790b76115c9e9774437a536b55e95373]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Buds out, suds out.