Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Booze Thread

Been trying out the Old Forester whiskies.

I like their rye and the 1910.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Old Forester and Four Roses are names from my youth (getting to be quite a while ago). I remember my father having one or the other around the house and they were considered cheap whiskies, not on the level of Seagram's VO or say Cutty Sark (again, quite while ago).

Was bourbon considered a less desirable whiskey back in the day? As kids, All we drank was Seagram's 7 or rum. I don't remember any of us swiping bourbon from any of our fathers' collection. We drank a lot of cheap scotch (Black and White I think it was called) b/c one kid's mother was a lush,, bought it by the case, and she never missed what he snuck out.

Rambling here so back to the point- both OF and 4Roses have marketed some rather upscale bourbons rather recently. The 4Roses Single Barrel is particularly good IMO. Neither brand is considered a "cheap" brand anymore.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

Tanqueray and tonic.. splash of grapefruit. Nuff said.

(11-10-2019, 08:58 AM)PF* Wrote: Old Forester and Four Roses are names from my youth (getting to be quite a while ago). I remember my father having one or the other around the house and they were considered cheap whiskies, not on the level of Seagram's VO or say Cutty Sark (again, quite  while ago).

Was bourbon considered a less desirable whiskey back in the day? As kids, All we drank was Seagram's 7 or rum. I don't remember any of us swiping bourbon from any of our fathers' collection. We drank a lot of cheap scotch (Black and White I think it was called) b/c one kid's mother was a lush,, bought it by the case, and she never missed what he snuck out.

Rambling here so back to the point- both OF and 4Roses have marketed some rather upscale bourbons rather recently. The 4Roses Single Barrel is particularly good IMO. Neither brand is considered a "cheap" brand anymore.

Yes, bourbons and ryes have taken on a completely new life since the early 2000's when prohibition era cocktails and mixology found its way into the consciousness of city-dwellers and then eventually to mainstream USA via the various "foodie" media outlets.

The distilleries around Louisville that used to sell cheap hooch now have multiple small batch and single barrel selections selling for upwards of $50 a fifth.  That Forester 1910 is $54 now, but the rye is new for them  - and only $23. 
It's good with two cubes and a tiny splash of water (ginger if you like it sweet.)

NYC- if in your travels you get to Cincinnati, go across the river to Covington, KY (I've written about this place before) and go the Old Kentucky Bourbon Bar. The guy has 600 different bourbons in there.

Better yet, go there, stay at the Radisson and have dinner in the revolving restaurant on top for the best view ever of the Ohio River and Cincinnati.

http://oldkybourbonbar.com/
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(11-10-2019, 06:28 PM)PF* Wrote: NYC- if in your travels you get to Cincinnati, go across the river to Covington, KY (I've written about this place before) and go the Old Kentucky Bourbon Bar. The guy has 600 different bourbons in there.

Better yet, go there, stay at the Radisson and have dinner in the revolving restaurant on top for the best view ever of the Ohio River and Cincinnati.

http://oldkybourbonbar.com/

Definitely will do.  Cool Thanks!

I'm enjoying Epcots Food and Wine festival tonight, drinking whiskey and Smithwik's around the World.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-08-2019, 07:02 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Been trying out the Old Forester whiskies.

I like their rye and the 1910.

You should try the Old Forester Birthday Bourbon Tongue 

PS ... Bourbon is made in Kentucky ... Whiskey is made in Tennessee (Whisky is made wherever the hell they want).

I currently have my choice to savor Blantons, Henrey McKenna 10 year, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, and Eagle Rare.

I have a great source for the Buffalo Trace Bourbons.

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2019, 05:11 PM by Mowerguy.)

(11-10-2019, 03:12 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Tanqueray and tonic.. splash of grapefruit. Nuff said.

Years ago Tanqueray and tonic with a lime or grapefruit was my fav ....until one night in Winterhaven.
...couldn't remember where I had parked my car.
Haven't touched it since.   Laughing
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2019, 06:14 PM by Caldrac.)

These are my current "go to" brews on gameday's. 

[Image: ci-north-coast-old-rasputin-russian-impe...=jpeg&q=20][Image: new-dragons-milk.jpg?itok=stj0c4Ju][Image: 2737_1500H.jpg]

As far as strong stuff? I like these on Friday's and Saturday's only. 

[Image: 11374544453662.png][Image: wildturkey101a.jpg][Image: Crown_Royal_Canadian_Whisky_750ml_1024x1...1573222588]
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I’ve been sampling the hard seltzers the last couple of weekends. I like them.

(11-17-2019, 01:30 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I’ve been sampling the hard seltzers the last couple of weekends. I like them.

Did you go to SeltzerFest?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-17-2019, 02:46 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-17-2019, 01:30 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I’ve been sampling the hard seltzers the last couple of weekends. I like them.

Did you go to SeltzerFest?

I didn't know there was such a thing.

(11-17-2019, 05:02 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(11-17-2019, 02:46 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Did you go to SeltzerFest?

I didn't know there was such a thing.

https://904tix.com/events/Jax-Hard-Seltz...11-16-2019

Patron Silver Edition Speciale

Banana
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Well, I ended up going to the company function last night. I was introduced to Forty Creek Barrel Select. It was yummy.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(12-06-2019, 08:36 AM)Rico Wrote: Well, I ended up going to the company function last night.  I was introduced to Forty Creek Barrel Select.  It was yummy.

There's always a silver lining!

White claw is by far the best hard seltzer.
I've tried bon and Viv, Henry's, and a few others.
White claw leads them all by a country mile.
Still, most days I would rather have a beer in the 30-80 ibu range.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(12-06-2019, 11:08 AM)mikesez Wrote: White claw is by far the best hard seltzer.

You've always struck me as the kind of man who would drink "hard seltzer."

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2019, 10:15 AM by mikesez.)

(12-08-2019, 12:16 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-06-2019, 11:08 AM)mikesez Wrote: White claw is by far the best hard seltzer.

You've always struck me as the kind of man who would drink "hard seltzer."

And you strike me as the kind of guy who would say, "but it's not from Kentucky! They're supposed to be from Kentucky!" after I told him about my favorite bourbon.  Laughing
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.