Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Booze Thread

I like wine.

Can I talk about wine on this thread?
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-07-2017, 07:58 PM)Vicbow Rules Wrote: I like wine.

No.

I'd like a suggestion for a new "go to" at the pub.

Beers, Jameson and diet, rum and coke have run their course for a bit.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Wine counts. 
What's your poison? 

I'm into big reds and crisp whites. 

I like California Zinfandels and Cabarnets usually for the big reds.  Depending on the pairing I'll go to the fruity/jammy side with a Petit Syrah or syrah blend.  

For a lighter red I dig the Clos DuVal Pinot Noir (Napa) and a few of the Oregon Pinots are hip too. 

When eating Italian I dig the Amarone, the Super Tuscans and Barolos for big reds and the Nero D'avola or Primitivo for lighter reds. 

My favorite white wines are usually sauvignon blanc or something akin to it.  French Sancerre is probably my fave sav blanc. Not into the New Zealand sav blancs much though. 
 Portugal exports a very light  and inexpensive vinho verde which is amazing with seafood. It's not a sparkilng wine, but it has a tiny touch of effervescence.

I'm a Central Coast wine man.

Clautiere, Chronic or Eberle for me please, although you can probably persuade me to have some Caymus on occasion Smile

(This post was last modified: 06-08-2017, 08:54 AM by Vicbow Rules.)

(06-08-2017, 12:31 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Wine counts. 
What's your poison? 

I like California Zinfandels and Cabarnets usually for the big reds.  Depending on the pairing I'll go to the fruity/jammy side with a Petit Syrah or syrah blend.  

For a lighter red I dig the Clos DuVal Pinot Noir (Napa) and a few of the Oregon Pinots are hip too. 

When eating Italian I dig the Amarone, the Super Tuscans and Barolos for big reds and the Nero D'avola or Primitivo for lighter reds. 

My favorite white wines are usually sauvignon blanc or something akin to it.  French Sancerre is probably my fave sav blanc. Not into the New Zealand sav blancs much though. 
 Portugal exports a very light  and inexpensive vinho verde which is amazing with seafood. It's not a sparkilng wine, but it has a tiny touch of effervescence.

I love Pinot Noirs.  I agree that the Oregon Pinots are strong.  I had a few when I was in Vegas in February that I wish I would have made a note of because they were dynamite.

Sav Blanc season is coming.  I like Cabs, but more in the winter.

My main go to, which is to say it is always in my house, is a cheap Pinot Noir called Estancia.  It is a Monterrey County wine that goes for about $14 a bottle, but recently Publix has had it for $10.  I have been buying it up every time I go!

(06-08-2017, 01:53 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I'm a Central Coast wine man.

Clautiere, Chronic or Eberle for me please, although you can probably persuade me to have some Caymus on occasion Smile

Chronic???
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

(06-08-2017, 08:53 AM)Vicbow Rules Wrote:
(06-08-2017, 12:31 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Wine counts. 
What's your poison? 

I love Pinot Noirs.  I agree that the Oregon Pinots are strong.  I had a few when I was in Vegas in February that I wish I would have made a note of because they were dynamite.

Sav Blanc season is coming.  I like Cabs, but more in the winter.

My main go to, which is to say it is always in my house, is a cheap Pinot Noir called Estancia.  It is a Monterrey County wine that goes for about $14 a bottle, but recently Publix has had it for $10.  I have been buying it up every time I go!

(06-08-2017, 01:53 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I'm a Central Coast wine man.

Chronic???

Chronic! It's run by two brothers - sons of a much bigger winemaker in the Paso Robles area. Very cool guys, they are gaining a lot of traction in my area. 

They mostly do blends and they have really really unique branding.

Enjoyed some pretty good Mezcal this past weekend.

"Nuestra Soledad"

Not over-the-top smokiness - but definitely smokey.  Hints of floral sweetness keeps the big flavor in check.

I bought a honey rum liqueur and it doesn't taste bad on the tongue but it leaves a nasty after taste. It's what I imagine taking a shot of motor oil tastes like.

The Beer Gods like me....

I just got back to my hotel from walking to the liquor store for some brew and the sky just Opened up with a ferocious T-Storm

Yeah it's Budweiser tonight only because they didn't carry Miller High Life, Only Miller Lite and MGD
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

It's 5:00, do you know where your beer is?
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

(06-19-2017, 05:01 PM)The Drifter Wrote: It's 5:00, do you know where your beer is?

D'oh!  I forgot to add more to the fridge last night.

Vodka/lemonade/seltzer/fresh mint from the garden

(06-21-2017, 09:06 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Vodka/lemonade/seltzer/fresh mint from the garden

I finished building my workbench in the garage and celebrated by drinking a few fresh Yuenglings from the garage mini-fridge.

I may or may not have had one or two while building it as well.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(06-22-2017, 01:46 PM)Rico Wrote:
(06-21-2017, 09:06 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Vodka/lemonade/seltzer/fresh mint from the garden

I finished building my workbench in the garage and celebrated by drinking a few fresh Yuenglings from the garage mini-fridge.

Nearly all settled in at the new place?

(06-22-2017, 01:49 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-22-2017, 01:46 PM)Rico Wrote: I finished building my workbench in the garage and celebrated by drinking a few fresh Yuenglings from the garage mini-fridge.

Nearly all settled in at the new place?

Hah!!  Good one!!

It's officially margarita:30.

I made Piña Coladas today.

Best method I've tried so far is to buy frozen pineapple chunks, a few cans of good coconut milk and a decent rum to mix with and a goslings or myers dark rum to add the "float."

Put ice, pineapple, coconut milk and a spoon full of light brown sugar in the blender with 1.5 oz of rum per intended serving.
Blend well.
Pour into glasses and add an ounce of the dark rum to top of each glass.

(This post was last modified: 06-26-2017, 03:36 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Wrong duval pride board.

(06-26-2017, 03:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I made Piña Coladas today.  

Best method I've tried so far is to buy frozen pineapple chunks, a few cans of good coconut milk and a decent rum to mix with and a goslings or myers dark rum to add the "float."

Put ice, pineapple, coconut milk and a spoon full of light brown sugar in the blender with 1.5 oz of rum per intended serving.
Blend well.

HOLY FREAKING CARBS !!!

(06-26-2017, 03:35 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

Wrong duval pride board.

(06-26-2017, 03:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I made Piña Coladas today.  

Blend well.

HOLY FREAKING CARBS !!!

Haha.  Well -- how often does one splurge on a corny tiki bar cocktail?  (about twice a year for me)

I do use the "light" coconut milk  -- and 5 ounces of that plus one tbls of the sugar is enough for about 3 piña coladas.

Picked up a bottle of the A. Smith Bowman Bourbon the other day. S'posed to be the best bourbon you can get.

Damn tasty.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!