Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Booze Thread

(02-25-2021, 10:56 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(02-25-2021, 10:47 PM)mikesez Wrote: Shiner is so heavy! That's a treat to me.  I couldn't have that as my regular.

I don't find that it's all that different from Yuengling.

I might be getting it confused with another Bock, like maybe Doppelbock.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2021, 11:04 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

I haven't drank in many years, but back in high school and college I lived on two things.....

[Image: 36927_hr.jpg]

[Image: bacardi_151_75_5_.jpg]

Mix them with HI-C fruit punch and you have a delicious drink.

(02-26-2021, 12:12 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-25-2021, 10:56 PM)RicoTx Wrote: I don't find that it's all that different from Yuengling.

Me either, but he drinks Ultra on the regular so I'm sure that anything with more body than water is too much.

Yeah. 

Shiner Bock has more malt than Yuengling but is similar in body/viscosity. Not heavy by my estimation. 
However, if your baseline is mich ultra, nearly anything is going to seem heavy. 

I've been digging a few new locals down here in SWFL lately when I venture off my regular fare. 
This is a very drinkable IPA, and this one has that unfiltered thing going on and is enjoyable when you want a little fruity hop flavor.  (it's not really that fruity actually, but it is discernible)

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2021, 12:09 PM by mikesez.)

(02-27-2021, 11:09 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-26-2021, 12:12 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Me either, but he drinks Ultra on the regular so I'm sure that anything with more body than water is too much.

Yeah. 

Shiner Bock has more malt than Yuengling but is similar in body/viscosity. Not heavy by my estimation. 
However, if your baseline is mich ultra, nearly anything is going to seem heavy. 

I've been digging a few new locals down here in SWFL lately when I venture off my regular fare. 
This is a very drinkable IPA, and this one has that unfiltered thing going on and is enjoyable when you want a little fruity hop flavor.  (it's not really that fruity actually, but it is discernible)

You guys cant read.  
I said Mich Light, NOT Ultra.
My memory of Shiner Bock is foggy because it is a special treat here in FL. I only ever see the stuff at Publix and it's always at least $9.99 for the 6 pack

(02-27-2021, 12:08 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-27-2021, 11:09 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yeah. 

You guys cant read.  
My memory of Shiner Bock is foggy because it is a special treat here in FL.  I only ever see the stuff at Publix and it's always at least $9.99 for the 6 pack

It's brewed about four hours from me, so it's a cheap.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(02-27-2021, 12:08 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-27-2021, 11:09 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yeah. 

You guys cant read.  
My memory of Shiner Bock is foggy because it is a special treat here in FL.  I only ever see the stuff at Publix and it's always at least $9.99 for the 6 pack
Ha!
I actually like Michelob light.  I like standard Michelob even more but you can't find it anywhere. 

Shiner Bock is not distributed very well on the east coast and most of the times I've enjoyed it, I was traveling west of the Mississippi. 

Three Shiner Bock's will sit heavier on your stomach than three Mich Light's , but it's not as significant as the darker color suggests.

Tonight's poison of choice is Espolon Reposado tequila with a couple of cubes. 
Cheers!

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2021, 10:58 PM by mikesez.)

Been doing some whiskey.  The boss shares premium boubons with us every now and then. I don't think I've purchased bourbon even once.
They drink it on the rocks.  I tried drinking it neat, but it felt too much like chewing on oak chips. The cold takes the edge off.
Last week I poured soda water on it and the boss said I could do what I want, but the maker of the whisky would be insulted. So I won't do that again, at least not in front of him. And it's wasn't good! Its flavor pretty much disappeared in the bubbles! Rocks really is best for Bourbon.
I mentioned some time before that that I drink Canadian club rye and they rolled their eyes, I mean yes it's cheap stuff but I think it actually tastes better.  I can drink it neat or on the rocks and its flavor really holds up in soda water. Just a hint of soda water killed that Bourbon.  I'm still working through that Jameson, it can take a little soda water, but not much.  The Canadian club rye can mix 3:1 or 4:1 and it's still really flavorful.  The Jameson washes out beyond about 2:1.

(02-27-2021, 11:00 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I haven't drank in many years, but back in high school and college I lived on two things.....

[Image: 36927_hr.jpg]

[Image: bacardi_151_75_5_.jpg]

Mix them with HI-C fruit punch and you have a delicious drink.

Yeah you basically have to mix either of those.

(03-07-2021, 10:45 PM)mikesez Wrote: Been doing some whiskey.  The boss shares premium boubons with us every now and then. I don't think I've purchased bourbon even once.
They drink it on the rocks.  I tried drinking it neat, but it felt too much like chewing on oak chips. The cold takes the edge off.

Last week I poured soda water on it and the boss said I could do what I want, but the maker of the whisky would be insulted. So I won't do that again, at least not in front of him. And it's wasn't good! Its flavor pretty much disappeared in the bubbles! Rocks really is best for Bourbon.
I mentioned some time before that that I drink Canadian club rye and they rolled their eyes, I mean yes it's cheap stuff but I think it actually tastes better.  I can drink it neat or on the rocks and its flavor really holds up in soda water. Just a hint of soda water killed that Bourbon.  I'm still working through that Jameson, it can take a little soda water, but not much.  The Canadian club rye can mix 3:1 or 4:1 and it's still really flavorful.  The Jameson washes out beyond about 2:1.

It's the water from the melting ice that takes the edge off, not the cold actually. 

If you want to try a smooth high end bourbon that would only need one or two small cubes of ice to mellow, seek out Blanton's.  But be prepared to pay. 

A good affordable rye to drink on the rocks that is better than your CC is Old Forester 100 proof Rye. 
Excellent bang for the buck and still drinks with fairly full flavor over ice.

My son introduced me to Uncle Nearest whiskey. Tasty stuff.

(03-09-2021, 11:32 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-07-2021, 10:45 PM)mikesez Wrote: Been doing some whiskey.  The boss shares premium boubons with us every now and then. I don't think I've purchased bourbon even once.

It's the water from the melting ice that takes the edge off, not the cold actually. 

If you want to try a smooth high end bourbon that would only need one or two small cubes of ice to mellow, seek out Blanton's.  But be prepared to pay. 

A good affordable rye to drink on the rocks that is better than your CC is Old Forester 100 proof Rye. 

Sounds good.  I'll put that in the rotation once I make space on the shelf. Bottoms up!

The best way to drink bourbon, IMHO, is with a couple cubes of ice. Let it melt until there's a small skim of water on top, then sip.

(03-09-2021, 11:32 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

I'll second Blanton's and also toss a vote to Willett.

Anyone here like Micheladas?

What's your recipe?

I finally found a Bourbon I like. Knob Creek 100 proof. It doesn't burn and its oak flavor is very smooth. First Bourbon I've ever liked neat, and of course it was still good after a couple of ice cubes were added.
I still prefer rye though.

(03-17-2021, 12:19 PM)mikesez Wrote: I finally found a Bourbon I like.  Knob Creek 100 proof.  It doesn't burn and its oak flavor is very smooth.  First Bourbon I've ever liked neat, and of course it was still good after a couple of ice cubes were added.

I'm by no means a bourbon connoisseur, but I know what I like. Knob Creek is the best bourbon I've ever had. There's not even a close second.

I've been binge watching Parks and Recreation, and I got curious about the Scotch that Ron Swanson loved so much. Lagavulin. $100 per liter. I've never had any.

St Pattys Day [BLEEP]!!!!!!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-17-2021, 02:31 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I've been binge watching Parks and Recreation, and I got curious about the Scotch that Ron Swanson loved so much.   Lagavulin.   $100 per liter.   I've never had any.

Hahaha start with something a little easier, like Caol Ila or maybe Ardberg. 

IMO, you have to work up to it or it'll just taste like gasoline and smoke.

(03-17-2021, 03:28 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 02:31 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I've been binge watching Parks and Recreation, and I got curious about the Scotch that Ron Swanson loved so much.   Lagavulin.   $100 per liter.   I've never had any.

Hahaha start with something a little easier, like Caol Ila or maybe Ardberg. 

IMO, you have to work up to it or it'll just taste like gasoline and smoke.

Do they celebrate St Paddy's day in Colombia?

(03-17-2021, 02:06 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 12:19 PM)mikesez Wrote: I finally found a Bourbon I like.  Knob Creek 100 proof.  It doesn't burn and its oak flavor is very smooth.  First Bourbon I've ever liked neat, and of course it was still good after a couple of ice cubes were added.

I'm by no means a bourbon connoisseur, but I know what I like. Knob Creek is the best bourbon I've ever had. There's not even a close second.

Knob Creek definitely has a ton of character.  Tongue  I'm not much of a bourbon drinker but Wild Turkey is pretty decent on a couple of ice cubes.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.