Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Booze Thread

(03-17-2021, 05:02 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 03:28 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Hahaha start with something a little easier, like Caol Ila or maybe Ardberg. 

IMO, you have to work up to it or it'll just taste like gasoline and smoke.

Do they celebrate St Paddy's day in Colombia?

Much like most of the world, people of a certain religion probably "celebrate" St. Patrick's Day.  It's not the same as how it is "celebrated" here in the U.S.  Here it's just an excuse to party and eat corned beef.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-17-2021, 05:02 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 03:28 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Hahaha start with something a little easier, like Caol Ila or maybe Ardberg. 

Do they celebrate St Paddy's day in Colombia?

Just took a poll of the bar. Basic response was "never heard of her."

I've been surprised a few times by what I'd consider universally known things that everyone down here has never heard of.

(03-18-2021, 02:40 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 05:02 PM)mikesez Wrote: Do they celebrate St Paddy's day in Colombia?

Just took a poll of the bar. Basic response was "never heard of her."

I've been surprised a few times by what I'd consider universally known things that everyone down here has never heard of.

It makes sense. Latin America got the same waves of German and Italian immigrants that the United States got, but Irish people desiring a new life would have very strongly preferred to go to Canada or the US, just due to language.  So I would not expect Irish stuff to be known in Latin America.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(03-17-2021, 03:28 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 02:31 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I've been binge watching Parks and Recreation, and I got curious about the Scotch that Ron Swanson loved so much.   Lagavulin.   $100 per liter.   I've never had any.

Hahaha start with something a little easier, like Caol Ila or maybe Ardberg. 

I’ve always found Glenmorangie (original) to be a good transition scotch for bourbon drinkers.

(03-26-2021, 08:04 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

I’ve always found Glenmorangie (original) to be a good transition scotch for bourbon drinkers.

There you go Marty, from Ron himself  Tongue

(03-26-2021, 04:11 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(03-26-2021, 08:04 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I’ve always found Glenmorangie (original) to be a good transition scotch for bourbon drinkers.

There you go Marty, from Ron himself  Tongue

*raises two fingers of oban little bay*

(03-26-2021, 11:59 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-26-2021, 04:11 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: There you go Marty, from Ron himself  Tongue

*raises two fingers of oban little bay*

Dammit, that was the other slightly peaty one I was trying to think of. Good call!

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2021, 08:43 PM by Jags.)

I’m pounding back these bud zeroes.  (Amongst other beverages
).  Am I cool enough to hang out with the whiskey and bourbon guys? Smile

(This post was last modified: 04-24-2021, 02:55 PM by mikesez.)

New to the Mikesez liquor shelf-
Appleton Estate Signature Rum - this brown rum has a front end that is very harsh, and made me cough a bit. One of the flavors coming through strong in the front end is fresh mowed grass, makes sense, as sugar cane is a grass. The back end is pleasant and sweet, some oak character comes through. The front end is too harsh to enjoy neat again, so this will be one to mix in cocktails. Per my usual, I'll start with soda water and work up from there.

Bulleit 95% Rye - this is a bit of a downgrade from the Canadian club 100% rye I've been drinking, but 95 and 100 are both A's in Duval county public schools. Both of them have a long lasting back end. The Canadian club is definitely sweeter, the Bulleit is more peppery and oaky as it lingers. Both are easy up front and suitable for drinking neat or on the rocks. On the rocks the bread flavor comes out more than it did neat.

I've found three or four really good, local, red/amber beers since I moved out here. The one I'm drinking tonight is called Fire Ant Funeral.

The brewery that makes it has some pretty funny beer names for all of their varieties.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 04-24-2021, 08:08 PM by Jags.)

I had a really good Irish, or was it a welsh, beer a native neighbor gave me.   Wasn’t bad atoll.   Spelling error intentional.  I’ll have to ask him what is was as he gave me and an employee one as I was headed out to drop his [BLEEP] off.  It was very drinkable to my bud light palate.  Having said that, I drank 6 16 oz bud lights before I tried it and more than likely dehydrated from the day’s labor.   So, it could taste like [BLEEP].  I’ll get the name and find out where he bought it and report back

(04-24-2021, 08:06 PM)Jags Wrote: I had a really good Irish beer, or was it a welsh, beer a native neighbor gave me.   Wasn’t bad atoll.   Spelling error intentional.  I’ll have to ask him what is was as he gave me and an employee one as I was headed out to drop his [BLEEP] off.  It was very drinkable to my bud light palate.  Having said that, I drank 6 16 oz bud lights before I tried it and more than likely dehydrated from the day’s labor.   So, it could taste like [BLEEP].  I’ll get the name and find out where he bought it and report back

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2022, 08:54 PM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

Recently went out with coworkers after work.  Revisited my old friend Robonaut Red from Playalinda brewing.  It's such a beautiful pour, the combination of color, clarity, and head is really hard to find. its what I try to replicate in my home brewing.
On the Whiskey front, I noticed that Johnny Walker has put out a new offering for guys like me who are fixated on rye. Johnnie Walker high rye is nice, has a lot of flavor neat.  Mix it with soda water though and the only remaining flavor is an oily faint smoke, typical of blended scotch, but somehow not as good.  Dewar's and JW Black Label are better.  I'm a little disappointed. I still haven't found an inexpensive whiskey better than Canadian club 100% rye.

(03-06-2022, 08:50 PM)mikesez Wrote: Recently went out with coworkers after work.  Revisited my old friend Robonaut Red from Playalinda brewing.  It's such a beautiful pour, the combination of color, clarity, and head is really hard to find. its what I try to replicate in my home brewing.
On the Whiskey front, I noticed that Johnny Walker has put out a new offering for guys like me who are fixated on rye. Johnnie Walker high rye is nice, has a lot of flavor neat.  Mix it with soda water though and the only remaining flavor is an oily faint smoke, typical of blended scotch, but somehow not as good.  Dewar's and JW Black Label are better.  I'm a little disappointed. I still haven't found an inexpensive whiskey better than Canadian club 100% rye.

Nice, man!   I just chalked you up to a White Claw man.  Way to go!

I've been talking to Ronster most of the day, so I'm just going to push an IV of Everclear and pass out for the night.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

The Liquor store I get deliveries from brought me 2 5th's of the 100 Proof Southern Comfort this time. I usually get the 70 proof stuff..... I better head out and get a couple of 2 liter bottles of ginger ale to mix it with....... I'm not as young as I used to be.... LOL
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

(This post was last modified: 03-08-2022, 03:30 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 2 times in total.)

(03-06-2022, 08:50 PM)mikesez Wrote: Recently went out with coworkers after work.  Revisited my old friend Robonaut Red from Playalinda brewing.  It's such a beautiful pour, the combination of color, clarity, and head is really hard to find. its what I try to replicate in my home brewing.

Red ales are one of my favorite styles and also one with the fewest options to choose from.  My absolute favorite is Pinglehead which is a locally made Imperial Red and isn't sold in cans or bottles otherwise I'd buy it regularly.  I bought singles of all the different Reds I could find at Total Wine and also identified Robonaut as my favorite Red of what I've had from there so far.  I buy six packs of it now from time to time.

(03-08-2022, 03:28 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:

Red ales are one of my favorite styles and also one with the fewest options to choose from.  My absolute favorite is Pinglehead which is a locally made Imperial Red and isn't sold in cans or bottles otherwise I'd buy it regularly.  I bought singles of all the different Reds I could find at Total Wine and also identified Robonaut as my favorite Red of what I've had from there so far.  I buy six packs of it now from time to time.

We've got a couple out here that I really like from local breweries.

Rahr Brothers Texas Red and Texas Ale Project's Fire Ant Funeral.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2022, 09:41 PM by mikesez.)

(03-08-2022, 03:28 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:

I will try that out next time I'm in Orange Park!

(03-08-2022, 04:53 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(03-08-2022, 03:28 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Red ales are one of my favorite styles and also one with the fewest options to choose from.  My absolute favorite is Pinglehead which is a locally made Imperial Red and isn't sold in cans or bottles otherwise I'd buy it regularly.  I bought singles of all the different Reds I could find at Total Wine and also identified Robonaut as my favorite Red of what I've had from there so far.  I buy six packs of it now from time to time.

We've got a couple out here that I really like from local breweries.

Rahr Brothers Texas Red and Texas Ale Project's Fire Ant Funeral.

I will try those out next time I'm in Texas!

FED-EX DELIVERS! ON A SUNDAY YET! My Motorhead Bourbon came today.... It's more or less going to be the show piece on my bar...... I've been a Motorhead fan for a very long time and when they FINALY got around to releasing their brand of Beers and Whiskeys in the US just recently, I jumped on the chance to order their Bourbon........

[Image: IMG_0299.JPG]

[Image: IMG_0300.JPG]
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!