Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Question: Why did the Sharks leave the AFL?

Seems like the new league features a bunch of smaller-tier cities.

Everyone left the AFL, they are down to like 5 teams. They wanted too much for their league fees.
LEONARD FOURNETTE FAN CLUB PRESIDENT. I WAS BEHIND HIM WHEN YOU ALL SAID HE WAS BRANDON JACOBS. QUIT HATING ON THE JAGUARS. GUS IS GONE. COUGHLIN HAS RESTORED ORDER. FOURNETTE IS FRED TAYLOR. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH.

There are several reasons:

1. The Arena Football League has been losing teams as the commissioner and NBA/NHL owned teams have been attempting to reset the league, which is making the costs to run the league rise. Obviously, higher costs make it tougher for teams break even or turn a profit, which I've heard is the main reason why Orlando decided to close up shop.

2. The new commissioner has been attempting to clean up the league, unlike the prior commish, and in turn has fined teams heavily for paying players under the table. Guess what, Jacksonville is one of the biggest offenders here and it's why they've been able to keep a ton of their players when they moved from the AFL to the NAL, despite the (legitimate) salaries between roughly 1/4 to 1/3 of what they were. They also lost San Jose and Pittsburgh because of similar reasons.

3. There were several teams midseason last year that knew they weren't returning, so they stopped paying some of their bills and in turn passed the buck onto the other teams. I heard Jacksonville was late on some of their payments last season. Funnily enough, the current league they're in had a team fold before the season started and the remaining had to foot the bill for the entire season.

Overall, I think differences in opinion of how the league is currently being run as well as the rising costs led to Bouchy taking the Sharks to a lesser league.

Does ESPN still cover AFL? Does anyone cover this new league?
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

There's always some good in something bad happening to you,

and you look for that. - Shahid Khan