Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2017 Draft Redux

(06-10-2017, 06:02 AM)Caldrac Wrote: 1. Leonard Fournette - RB - Can't argue with that selection. We didn't need defense there Johnathan Allen fell for a reason.
2. Cam Robinson - OT - Can't argue with this selection either. Great value there at a position of need.
3. Dan Feeney - OG - Was unfamiliar with Smoot and felt Feeney would have come in and pushed either would be starter for a G position.
4. Dede Westbrook - WR - Can't argue with this selection. Seems like another Marquise Lee (injuries) type deal where great talent fell due to character concerns. In RD4 I am fine with this.
5. Bucky Hodges - TE - I don't know anything about Blair Brown but I saw a lot of Bucky Hodges last year and was happy to see him on the board still.
7A. Freddie Stevenson - FB - Solid player at FSU. Not unhappy with Williams though out of MU but Stevenson just seemed like a more explosive blocker.
7B. Jerod Evans - QB - Ended up going undrafted and was signed by the Eagles afterwards. Really good year last season. Was hoping for some more competition at the position.

I agree totally with your 1st 4 picks. Admittedly, I was very displeased with the Jaguars passing on Lamp in round 2. I have come around on that pick since Robinson appears to have more upside and position versatility. Westbrook was also puzzling when they could have had Dorian Johnson or Siragusa in the 4th. No doubt that Westbrook has the deep speed to help Blake and be an alternative to Lee if he gets hurt again. If he turns out like Tyrek Hill, another bad character guy, the Jags will be ecstatic.

I do really like the pick of Blair Brown. He will immediately help on special teams and is a tackling machine. If he improves in pass coverage, they may have stolen another linebacker in the 5th like they did with Telvin Smith.

It is obvious that the decision-makers in the organization feel much better about the team's offensive line and tight ends than most fans. I really didn't care much about passing on the tight end since Rivera was added in free agency and the team will go with a fullback to open up lanes for Fournette. However, passing on highly rated guards in the 3rd (Feeney) and 4th (Johnson) rounds I do not understand. I just hope that Shatley, Reed, Gennesey or Watford live up to the expectations of Caldwell and Coughlin.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 06-14-2017, 06:10 PM by Bullseye.)

(06-10-2017, 09:40 AM)KYjaggy Wrote: Hurns can be let go so cheaply after this year that I think 2017 is ultimately a head to head battle for he vs Lee to keep around. Then Dede can be our Ted Ginn Jr. diminutive field stretcher. Which is fine and all, but the opportunity cost was some really nice dual threat TE options in Kittle, Butt, or Sprinkle that could have been our TE1 of the future instead of hopeful WR3.

Coming back to this post, I agree completely that the Westbrook and Brown picks, assuming we hit on both, give us tremendous free agency flexibility.

It would have been nice to take advantage of the deepest and most talented TE class in recent memory and get one of the guys you mentioned mid draft.

(06-09-2017, 10:25 PM)KYjaggy Wrote: I would have gone:
1. Malik Hooker - OJ Howard was my top choice while we were on the clock, but a few TE that went day 3 would make this revisionist version better overall. Of course the Colts got the next Earl Thomas instead =/
2. Forrest Lamp - Robinson was fine, but I think Lamp was just a bit better...even at tackle.
3. Dan Feeney - Basically I think the Chargers killed day 2 getting both Lamp and Feeney instead of the team with two big guard needs that passed on both.
4. George Kittle - He, Butt, or Sprinkle would have filled a much bigger need than Dede without the off field concerns on top of that. I go Kittle due to superior blocking and top athlete at the position pass catching potential.
5. Jeremy McNichols - Really good film, versatile, and probably the 2nd or 3rd best athlete in the class after Mixon. 5th round was a steal.
6. Blair Brown - In my Lamp scenario we don't give up the 6th for Robinson and use it to take the Brown who hopefully falls another round.
7. Jalen Myrick - Great athlete, fills a need a slot corner need.
7. Marquez Williams - For like the 4th time out of 5 years I think Dave did well to finish the draft after disagreeing strongly with the early picks.

This would have been a good haul, too, I think.

I know you hated the Fournette pick pre draft, and I know you were really big on Feeney, so I know those top three picks would have been right up your alley.

I was less enthusiastic about Feeney than you were, and I had my doubts that he would be an ideal scheme fit here, but he represented better value than Smoot, and, in a best case scenario, he is a starter and average case, he still gives us depth and additional flexibility along the OL.

Question:  You chose McNichols in the 5th and came back with Blair Brown in the 6th.  Do I read you correctly in that it's more of an endorsement of McNichols than the idea that Brown was a reach in the 5th?

(06-10-2017, 09:39 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(06-10-2017, 07:28 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Based upon the responses, it seems most people had problems with the picks in the 3rd-5th rounds.

But I don't think I've ever seen such near lockstep agreement over the 7th round picks over any draft.

Agreed. It makes a lot of sense though. We went without the FB last year. Our running game isn't all that. And I think after we had a good run with Greg Jones leading the way for eight straight years during a stretch where we were one of the top three or five rushing teams in football made us want this position back. 

If we can't rely on the QB but we can barely scrape up 3.7 YPC as a team it hurts us. The selection of Fournette along with Williams indicates that this team wants to get back to what it once was. Which was a run heavy offense that could run at will and punch you in the mouth. 

Bortles does have the arm strength. And we do have the receivers on the outside though to take advantage of the ground game. Something we haven't had in it's entirety since the old Brunell days.

I agree completely with this.

In addition, the value was there in the 7th round to take a FB.  It made the most sense then.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 06-14-2017, 09:05 PM by KYjaggy.)

(06-14-2017, 05:55 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Question:  You chose McNichols in the 5th and came back with Blair Brown in the 6th.  Do I read you correctly in that it's more of an endorsement of McNichols than the idea that Brown was a reach in the 5th?

Sorry in advance if I butcher that reply editing I'm still learning how to pare it down cleanly in this format. 

I am a big fan of both McNichols and Brown. We know that McNichols went in the 5th though, so there is no way to get him later. Since we were the team that picked Brown I could optimistically, and perhaps erroneously, hope that Brown would have still been there in the 6th if we hadn't taken him. 

If forced to choose one or the other I would have picked McNichols because I do think RB needed to be supplemented with a good prospect more than LB did, just not at the cost of a top 5 pick. Since we already got RB out of the way though Brown was definitely on the short list of A grade options from what was left along with Sprinkle, Asiata, and maybe Leggett or Saubert...definitely happy with him.

(06-14-2017, 08:55 PM)KYjaggy Wrote:
(06-14-2017, 05:55 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Question:  You chose McNichols in the 5th and came back with Blair Brown in the 6th.  Do I read you correctly in that it's more of an endorsement of McNichols than the idea that Brown was a reach in the 5th?

Sorry in advance if I butcher that reply editing I'm still learning how to pare it down cleanly in this format. 

I am a big fan of both McNichols and Brown. We know that McNichols went in the 5th though, so there is no way to get him later. Since we were the team that picked Brown I could optimistically, and perhaps erroneously, hope that Brown would have still been there in the 6th if we hadn't taken him. 

If forced to choose one or the other I would have picked McNichols because I do think RB needed to be supplemented with a good prospect more than LB did, just not at the cost of a top 5 pick. Since we already got RB out of the way though Brown was definitely on the short list of A grade options from what was left along with Sprinkle, Asiata, and maybe Leggett or Saubert...definitely happy with him.

Makes sense.

Regarding the RB analysis, I'd say McNichols makes more sense if you thought the team was somehow down on Ivory and Yeldon (which may currently be true).

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(06-14-2017, 09:20 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Regarding the RB analysis, I'd say McNichols makes more sense if you thought the team was somehow down on Ivory and Yeldon (which may currently be true).

There are positions that are so important, and that enough of that position can be on the field often enough, that you could defend taking one top 5 while honestly liking the current depth chart at that position...like say DE, CB, or maybe even OT. I cannot see RB falling into that category.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-09-2017, 10:25 PM)KYjaggy Wrote: I would have gone:
1. Malik Hooker - OJ Howard was my top choice while we were on the clock, but a few TE that went day 3 would make this revisionist version better overall. Of course the Colts got the next Earl Thomas instead =/
2. Forrest Lamp - Robinson was fine, but I think Lamp was just a bit better...even at tackle.
3. Dan Feeney - Basically I think the Chargers killed day 2 getting both Lamp and Feeney instead of the team with two big guard needs that passed on both.
4. George Kittle - He, Butt, or Sprinkle would have filled a much bigger need than Dede without the off field concerns on top of that. I go Kittle due to superior blocking and top athlete at the position pass catching potential.
5. Jeremy McNichols - Really good film, versatile, and probably the 2nd or 3rd best athlete in the class after Mixon. 5th round was a steal.
6. Blair Brown - In my Lamp scenario we don't give up the 6th for Robinson and use it to take the Brown who hopefully falls another round.
7. Jalen Myrick - Great athlete, fills a need a slot corner need.
7. Marquez Williams - For like the 4th time out of 5 years I think Dave did well to finish the draft after disagreeing strongly with the early picks.

You would have gone Kiitle in the 4th? Gotcha

(04-21-2019, 09:16 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You would have gone Kiitle in the 4th? Gotcha

Lol, is it possible for you to be worse at this digging up old bones gotcha game?

Claims "Teddy is on par with Manning/Rodgers/Brady" was everywhere. Pulls up a "What is Teddy's ultimate upside?" thread as proof.

"I was pounding the table for Kittle in the 2nd" pull up a post draft redux where we can take anyone as late as they actually went.

(04-21-2019, 10:33 AM)Upper Wrote:
(04-21-2019, 09:16 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You would have gone Kiitle in the 4th? Gotcha

Lol, is it possible for you to be worse at this digging up old bones gotcha game?

Claims "Teddy is on par with Manning/Rodgers/Brady" was everywhere. Pulls up a "What is Teddy's ultimate upside?" thread as proof.

"I was pounding the table for Kittle in the 2nd" pull up a post draft redux where we can take anyone as late as they actually went.

Show me a post wree you wanted Kittle in the 2nd.  You wanted Howard in the 1st so why would you of wanted Kittle in the 2nd?  It's always hindsight 20/20 with you after the fact. About 90% of us wanted Kittle but nobody wanted him at the top of the 2nd. Most of us were saying 3rd or 4th