Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trivial Annoyances Thread

What I don't understand is people backing into parking spaces at Costco. Most people come out of Costco with a shopping cart full of stuff, but if they've backed into their space, they can't get into the back of their car or truck to stow all that stuff. It makes no sense.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 07-20-2021, 08:27 PM by homebiscuit.)

(07-20-2021, 05:25 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: In the Army we always backed in to parking spaces. Humvees, deuce-and-a-halfs and 5-ton trucks are not known for their tight turn radius. Lol. It became a habit after awhile. Plus, as others have said, it's easier to park a truck or SUV by backing in and safer for everyone when we're pulling out of the spot.

Also, if I have to get somewhere quickly it's easier and faster to pull forward.

I was going to mention that’s an Army thing. Whenever I’m on an Army post I notice at least half the cars are backed into a parking spot.

(07-20-2021, 07:48 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: What I don't understand is people backing into parking spaces at Costco.   Most people come out of Costco with a shopping cart full of stuff, but if they've backed into their space, they can't get into the back of their car or truck to stow all that stuff.  It makes no sense.

Unless backed up to the central island that carts can be pushed onto. I always back up to that.

(This post was last modified: 07-21-2021, 08:24 AM by Mikey.)

(07-20-2021, 03:09 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Why do people back into parking spaces?

LEO do for faster exit if they are called to an emergency, I do at the office so my driver seat is not soaking up all the sun during my workday. I also can leave more room for the traffic to flow through the lot if I back in and leave the tailgate over grass that is only going to be littered with goose poop.

I can also see if you get to a lot early and you pull through a space to allow forward exit when you are done. Once some lots get crowded, reversing out can be more difficult.

And the rare, but sneaky smart reason: If your battery is dead, it is SO much easier to get a jump from someone if your engine is not buried among five other cars

(07-20-2021, 03:37 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: It's actually illegal to back into spaces in a parking garage in Florida from what I was told.. Your tag has to be visible for police cars driving by..

When I lived in OH, we had tags on front and back, none of these silly "he's a gator, she's a dwag" plates.

I was floored when I moved here and they weren't required.

So if you are REALLY good in reverse, you can get away with SO MUCH down here. Good luck getting a security camera to pick up your VIN from the windshield, right? Big Grin

(This post was last modified: 07-21-2021, 08:30 AM by Mikey.)

(07-20-2021, 03:45 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(07-20-2021, 03:39 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:  
Do cars drive across parking spaces? I’m backing into a known space without worrying about people or cars darting in back of me. I also don’t have to worry about another long vehicle parking  across from me making maneuvering backwards that much more difficult. It’s much simpler to leave moving forwards than backwards.

Deal with it, lady! :p

No, but you have to deal with people pulling into your spot while you pulled past it to back into it. Seen that happen more than a few times.

that's just a crap driver who failed to signal their intent.

no signal, you have just as much right to the vacant spot they pass, moreso if you signal. If the cop tells you otherwise, they're just making things up to tick you off.

(07-20-2021, 03:53 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(07-20-2021, 03:48 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I do it all the time at work.  The area where I park is kind of tight to get out of in the afternoons.  I drive an F-150 and it's much easier to get out moving forward rather than backing.

It was actually a requirement at my last job.  

They were huge on safety and a study showed that the vast majority of accidents when parking/leaving a parking spot occur when someone is backing out of a parking spot.

Probably because everyone is in more of a hurry to leave than arrive.

(07-20-2021, 03:56 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(07-20-2021, 03:37 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: It's actually illegal to back into spaces in a parking garage in Florida from what I was told.. Your tag has to be visible for police cars driving by..

So is it illegal to close the garage door? Lol

A lot of Laws are stupid.

what parking garage do you use that has a garage door?

(07-20-2021, 07:48 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: What I don't understand is people backing into parking spaces at Costco.   Most people come out of Costco with a shopping cart full of stuff, but if they've backed into their space, they can't get into the back of their car or truck to stow all that stuff.  It makes no sense.

When you buy twinkies by the gross you need to get all the exercise you can.

(07-20-2021, 04:11 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(07-20-2021, 03:56 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: So is it illegal to close the garage door? Lol

A lot of Laws are stupid.

The only time it's illegal is if it is posted as illegal.  At least from what I see on the Google machine.

Maybe that's what it was.. I remember asking my old boss about it a couple of years ago. I remember seeing a sign in the parking garage saying no backing in when the wife and I went to a resort on vacation.. I asked the boss because he was jso and figured he would know.

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(07-21-2021, 08:37 AM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(07-20-2021, 04:11 PM)RicoTx Wrote: The only time it's illegal is if it is posted as illegal.  At least from what I see on the Google machine.

Maybe that's what it was.. I remember asking my old boss about it a couple of years ago. I remember seeing a sign in the parking garage saying no backing in when the wife and I went to a resort on vacation.. I asked the boss because he was jso and figured he would know.

Ooooh in parking garages? That's just cops looking for easy tickets to write - they have cops patrolling office parks all the time just to write tickets on expired tags.

(This post was last modified: 07-22-2021, 09:04 AM by The Real Marty.)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.   Misplaced apostrophes.  

"NCAA let's players earn money !"  That's the title of a thread.  

"Let's" means "let us."  

Here's another one I see all the time:  

"It's" means "it is."   The possessive of "it" is "its."    For example, "It has its own way.  It's fine with me."  

Also, an apostrophe does not make something plural.   I see that one everywhere.   "He had a lot of potato's."  No. no, NO!   Wrong!  Do not use an apostrophe to make something plural!

(07-22-2021, 09:01 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I've said it before, and I'll say it again.   Misplaced apostrophes.  

"Let's" means "let us."  

"It's" means "it is."   The possessive of "it" is "its."    For example, "It has its own way.  It's fine with me."  

Also, an apostrophe does not make something plural.   I see that one everywhere.   "He had a lot of potato's."  No. no, NO!   Wrong!  Do not use an apostrophe to make something plural!

Thank you for ' the tip. '
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(07-22-2021, 09:01 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I've said it before, and I'll say it again.   Misplaced apostrophes.  

"Let's" means "let us."  

You should probably stay off the internet..

"Let's" means "let us."  

Oh shut up Karen.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 07-22-2021, 03:53 PM by RicoTx.)

Working.

I'm getting so sick of it and REALLY sick of the corporate [BLEEP].  And damn is there a lot of corporate [BLEEP] in this LARGE financial company.  Most of it is my own doing as I didn't save as I should in my 20's and 30's and a divorce in my 40's.

I have my eye on two more years, but [BLEEP] is that going to be a grind.  I think about telling my manager to go [BLEEP] himself almost every day.

But, as my friend likes to state, it is what it is, at this point.  Gotta man up.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 07-22-2021, 04:23 PM by homebiscuit.)

(07-22-2021, 03:30 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

"Let's" means "let us."  

Oh shut up Karen.

You’re missing a couple of commas.  Tongue

"Let's" means "let us."  

I find people who repeat themselves to be annoying.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 07-22-2021, 06:33 PM by Jags.)

I’ dont know what all the fus’s is about.

I’ll form my s’entences how I wis’h

(This post was last modified: 07-23-2021, 09:04 PM by Jags.)

If you have a truck, you back it in.  I’m glad I upgraded my trucks.  Backing out of a spot in a truck is dangerous for passerby’s.  (Autocorrect put that apostrophe in.  Boy do I hope they got it right!) if you have a toolbox on your truck (non low profile) you really can’t see a short person behind you without the cam.  Trucks, yes back it in.  Cars, can’t speak for that since I haven’t driven one in 20 years.  Matter of fact.:. I challenge you to count the number of trucks vs cars backed into parking spots on your weekend errands, leisure time or what have you.  I guarantee you’ll see a higher percentage of trucks backed in than cars.  And I guarantee that the percentage of trucks you see backed in is 85% or higher.  What may be a trivial annoyance to one, may be a “not wanting to kill an innocent child, mother, father as they back out of Publix and serve prison time for it.  Just sayin’

‘’’’’’’
‘’

(07-23-2021, 09:00 PM)Jags Wrote: If you have a truck, you back it in.  I’m glad I upgraded my trucks.  Backing out of a spot in a truck is dangerous for passerby’s.  (Autocorrect put that apostrophe in.  Boy do I hope they got it right!) if you have a toolbox on your truck (non low profile) you really can’t see a short person behind you without the cam.  Trucks, yes back it in.  Cars, can’t speak for that since I haven’t driven one in 20 years.  Matter of fact.:. I challenge you to count the number of trucks vs cars backed into parking spots on your weekend errands, leisure time or what have you.  I guarantee you’ll see a higher percentage of trucks backed in than cars.  And I guarantee that the percentage of trucks you see backed in is 85% or higher.  What may be a trivial annoyance to one, may be a “not wanting to kill an innocent child, mother, father as they back out of Publix and serve prison time for it.  Just sayin’

‘’’’’’’
‘’

Never use an apostrophe to make a noun plural.  

But now I do understand about backing in a truck.

(This post was last modified: 07-24-2021, 03:39 PM by KingIngram052787.)

The plural of passerby is actually passersby, which I find mildly triggering for some reason.

(07-24-2021, 03:39 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: The plural of passerby is actually passersby, which I find mildly triggering for some reason.

/lights fuse

same with times out

//runs

(07-26-2021, 09:02 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(07-24-2021, 03:39 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: The plural of passerby is actually passersby, which I find mildly triggering for some reason.

/lights fuse

same with times out

//runs

And, wait for it, holes-in-one

People who drive the big extended cab trucks and they can't handle them.. It's like way too much truck for them that they can't park it or keep it in their lane on the road.. Makes me feel like poppin tires..