Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trivial Annoyances Thread

(11-29-2017, 04:06 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(11-29-2017, 08:44 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Golf.  I've become a total fanatic about the game at the same time I'm realizing, I will always suck at it.

Don Rickles said that only once he realized he would never play well did he start enjoying the game.

I’m the same as you. I wish I could play better. There are good days and some really bad days but I figure it sort of averages out. I enjoy myself, though, and that’s what matters.
You jump out of the car, run inside and pay for your round and tell the other guys you'll meet them at the tee. You grab 3 balls and your putter and stop on the practice green, hit 6 straight 3 footers and leave 6 straight 20 footers beside the cup, 2-3 inches away.

Then you 3 putt the first green.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-01-2017, 09:15 AM)PF* Wrote:
(11-29-2017, 04:06 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Don Rickles said that only once he realized he would never play well did he start enjoying the game.

I’m the same as you. I wish I could play better. There are good days and some really bad days but I figure it sort of averages out. I enjoy myself, though, and that’s what matters.
You jump out of the car, run inside and pay for your round and tell the other guys you'll meet them at the tee. You grab 3 balls and your putter and stop on the practice green, hit 6 straight 3 footers and leave 6 straight 20 footers beside the cup, 2-3 inches away.

Then you 3 putt the first green.

For a snowman. Yep, gonna be a great day.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I don’t get a snowman often but I did a few weeks ago in the middle of what was turning out to be a good 9 holes. My approach shot landed just off the fringe. For WHATEVER reason, my wedge decided to play ‘Let’s see how far we can blade the ball. Ooh, that was fun, let’s do it again!’
This was a reminder of why I increasingly use my 6 iron for such shots. I choke up on it and give it a putter swing and there’s just enough loft to carry the ball over a few feet of fringe with a nice roll out.

How could they take me back 20 minutes late for a 9:15 appointment when the doctor's office opens at 9:00?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(12-01-2017, 11:27 AM)Rico Wrote: How could they take me back 20 minutes late for a 9:15 appointment when the doctor's office opens at 9:00?

LOL.  When a doctor's office pushes you back 20 minutes, that means they're actually running 10 minutes ahead of usual.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(12-01-2017, 09:58 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I don’t get a snowman often but I did a few weeks ago in the middle of what was turning out to be a good 9 holes. My approach shot landed just off the fringe. For WHATEVER reason, my wedge decided to play ‘Let’s see how far we can blade the ball. Ooh, that was fun, let’s do it again!’
This was a reminder of why I increasingly use my 6 iron for such shots. I choke up on it and give it a putter swing and there’s just enough loft to carry the ball over a few feet of fringe with a nice roll out.

Had a snowman Wednesday in New Hampshire on the first hole- felt good and hit a good drive that leaked into the woods, hit safe shot back to the fairway, oops caught a branch and dropped straight down so hit another one out; hit nice 5 iron to the green, oops went into the trap; messed up sand shot and only made it to the fringe about 40 feet away and 3 putted it. Nice start. Never recovered.

(12-01-2017, 02:10 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(12-01-2017, 11:27 AM)Rico Wrote: How could they take me back 20 minutes late for a 9:15 appointment when the doctor's office opens at 9:00?

LOL.  When a doctor's office pushes you back 20 minutes, that means they're actually running 10 minutes ahead of usual.

Yeah, but if you're 5 minutes late we're gonna need to reschedule.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 12-03-2017, 08:25 AM by The Real Marty.)

(12-01-2017, 10:04 PM)PF* Wrote:
(12-01-2017, 09:58 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I don’t get a snowman often but I did a few weeks ago in the middle of what was turning out to be a good 9 holes. My approach shot landed just off the fringe. For WHATEVER reason, my wedge decided to play ‘Let’s see how far we can blade the ball. Ooh, that was fun, let’s do it again!’  

Had a snowman Wednesday in New Hampshire on the first hole- felt good and hit a good drive that leaked into the woods, hit safe shot back to the fairway, oops caught a branch and dropped straight down so hit another one out; hit nice 5 iron to the green, oops went into the trap; messed up sand shot and only made it to the fringe about 40 feet away and 3 putted it. Nice start. Never recovered.

How about this?  We're playing for money.  My partner is no help.  We come to a par-5.  I outdrive everyone by 50 yards.  Feeling pretty pretty good about myself.  Pull out a hybrid, hit it right on the sweet spot, come up about 10 yards short of the green, right in the fairway.   Our opponents have driven their ball all over the map.  I should win this hole by 3 strokes.   So I blade my chip shot over the green.  Duff my comeback chip short of the green.  Duff my 3rd chip onto the green 30 feet short of the hole.  Send my putt 10 feet past the hole.  Miss the comeback putt.  Lose the hole by a stroke!  SIX shots to get up and down from 10 yards short of the green. 

And my partner, who has been absolutely no help in the match, says, to me, "You need to work on your short game."  NO [BLEEP]!

That happens to me all the time.  One time I got the very first appointment of the day, 8:30 and finally saw the doctor at 9:15.  He was there.  I saw him walking around. 

Then there was the time I had a colonoscopy.  The printout they give you afterwards said everything was fine.  But the doctor scheduled an appointment to go over the results.  So a couple of weeks later, I go in, and I sat in the waiting room for 45 minutes past my appointment time, then they took me to one of the little examining rooms where I waited another 45 minutes, and finally the doctor comes in, and tells me everything is fine.   I saw the guy for maybe 3 minutes at the most, after waiting for an hour and a half.  The thing is, after waiting 45 minutes in the waiting room, while walking to the little examining room, I walked past his office and he was sitting there at his desk doing something. 

The way doctors cannot keep appointments is just intolerable.   It's either arrogance or incompetence.  Or both.

Seriously though, the time they give you is your arrival time, not your appointment time. The paperwork requirements are so massive that they need you there 15 minutes before your appointment to do the paperwork, update your registration, verify your eligibility, check you in, get your vitals and get you to a room before the doc comes in. A 9:15 time for you is usually at least a 9:40 on your doc's schedule. And then Grandma Jones is ahead of you with her 3 chronic conditions, today's acute problem, list of 14 medications to review, and 20 minute rambling detail-laden narrative of her third grandchild's potty training adventures that tie the doc up for more than the 15 minute appointment slot. Then the doc has to document 8 to 10 different quality measures in the chart to keep his RAF score accurate,  explain to Grandma why she has to come back next week for her AWV when she won't be sick, and write the orders for labs, a script, and a med for the MA to come back and administer.

And then he gets to check your prostate right after breakfast.

(12-03-2017, 10:17 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

The paperwork requirements are so massive that they need you there 15 minutes before your appointment to do the paperwork,

It's unbelievable that's it's still paper.  No way to do it in advance electronically from home.  No way to mine data from existing records or populate fields as you go.  No box to check if nothing has changed since you were there last week.  You're stuck writing your name, address, phone numbers, etc. in 4 places on the same page.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(12-03-2017, 08:38 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(12-03-2017, 10:17 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:  The paperwork requirements are so massive that they need you there 15 minutes before your appointment to do the paperwork,

It's unbelievable that's it's still paper.  No way to do it in advance electronically from home.  No way to mine data from existing records or populate fields as you go.  No box to check if nothing has changed since you were there last week.  You're stuck writing your name, address, phone numbers, etc. in 4 places on the same page.

There are many ways to digitize the process, but most are cost-prohibitive for your local doc office. That's what happens when GE controls the market and why the government is now mandating electronic records. Mandates for electronic registrations aren't far away, GE just has to grease the right palms.

And as the finance side of the house, I require those validations every visit because patients lie all the time to avoid paying.

News sites which automatically begin playing a video report of the story you're trying to read. Why bother typing out all those bothersome words if you're going to try to make the reader watch your stupid video report? I would much rather read the story and that's why I clicked the link. It's idiotic.

So yesterday I was in a Supermarket with my 7 year old son, all of a sudden a 3 (or so) year old kid runs into the back of my son. The dad of this other kid comes up to me and tells me how it's my sons fault.. so let me get this straight, it's my sons fault that his son ran into mine from behind... maybe I should have driven behind him on the way out of the carpark, smashed into the back of him and then blamed it on him?

Also, saying "your son needs to watch where he's [BLEEP] going" in front of the young children is not cool!
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

(12-08-2017, 03:35 AM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: So yesterday I was in a Supermarket with my 7 year old son, all of a sudden a 3 (or so) year old kid runs into the back of my son. The dad of this other kid comes up to me and tells me how it's my sons fault.. so let me get this straight, it's my sons fault that his son ran into mine from behind... maybe I should have driven behind him on the way out of the carpark, smashed into the back of him and then blamed it on him?

Also, saying "your son needs to watch where he's [BLEEP] going" in front of the young children is not cool!

Was the other kid texting?

(12-08-2017, 09:21 AM)PF* Wrote:
(12-08-2017, 03:35 AM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: So yesterday I was in a Supermarket with my 7 year old son, all of a sudden a 3 (or so) year old kid runs into the back of my son. The dad of this other kid comes up to me and tells me how it's my sons fault.. so let me get this straight, it's my sons fault that his son ran into mine from behind... maybe I should have driven behind him on the way out of the carpark, smashed into the back of him and then blamed it on him?

Was the other kid texting?

Surprisingly (for this generation), no..

See, here in 'Murica you could've just shot him.

(12-08-2017, 11:28 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

See, here in 'Murica you could've just shot him.

It's scary how accurate that is! Haha..

(12-06-2017, 05:07 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: News sites which automatically begin playing a video report of the story you're trying to read. Why bother typing out all those bothersome words if you're going to try to make the reader watch your stupid video report? I would much rather read the story and that's why I clicked the link. It's idiotic.

OMG!  How annoying is that, and I am talking to you NFL!
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Non readers.

Here I sit on a dreary rainy day, nook book in hand, totally engrossed, genre specific music playing softly in the background. In walks my wife, the love of my life, the reason I put up with all the BS at work 5 days a week and starts talking. I look over my nook, give her the "eye" and she says: "Oh you're just reading" OMG, no I am not just reading! I am on the Shattered Plains with Kaladin Stormblessed. We are about ready to face down a Chasm fiend. I don't give a darn about what you paid for our granddaughters Christmas Gift! GRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.